lcd or crt for games ?!?!?! (1 Viewer)

jabba_wocky

Uni Bum
HSC
wrx said:
Remember, the response rating of 12ms is the QUICKEST the pixel will repsond, so generally it'll be slower than that. So you may want to rethink that. Also graphics cards are getting much faster, no point in have a 6800gt and then having a laggy lcd.
yeah thats right, the LCDs are getting better and cheaper. But it will take a little while longer before the demand for these "gaming LCDs" increases cause of their price. Unless the materials theat make the LCDs get cheaper or there is a cheaper alternative. If you use LCDs for gaming, I'd rather buy two of them for dual screen playing.

and besides anyone who buys a Radeon x800XT or Nvidia 6800 Ultra would want to play at those much higher resolutions. I haven't seen an LCD with a 12ms responce time and a resolution that reaches as high as 1600x1200 yet. imagine how expensive it would be.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
There's not a great deal of point in waiting for LCDs to become cheaper. FED and SED technology will become mainstream within the next few years - and they combine the picture quality of a CRT with the physical appearance of an LCD.
You could hold out for a few more years with a 19" CRT, but if you're struggling for space or you want to "modernise" your computer area, there's not much point.

But of course CRTs are better for hardcore gamers. However, you won't notice much ghosting (if any at all) even when you're playing CS or Halo on a good 12ms LCD.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Arvin Sloane said:
One of the next best things in the whole display arena is meant to be OLED.
Hmm...if you look up FED and/or SED you'll also find some interesting stuff.
Apparently the major TV manufacturers are currently in R&D as regards FED and SED technology. I think they're expected to hit retail stores in ~2006 and become mainstream by 2008ish - and they're cheaper to make than plasmas and LCDs, so you can expect them to be affordable a bit sooner than it took LCDs to become affordable (i.e. around 4-5 years) - in 2000, a 15" LCD cost around $1600. lol.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
"FED

The technologies considered in the field of monitors can be divided into two families: 1) monitors based on radiation emissions such as traditional CRT and plasma units, that is devices which emits light towards the exterior world, and 2) monitors of transmission type, such as LCD monitors. One of the best technological approach in the monitors construction which puts together both technologies previously described is the FED (Field Emission Display) technology; FED monitors are based on a process which is a bit similar to that of the CRT monitors, as they have phosphors which light when stimulated by a beam of electrons. The main difference between a CRT device and a FED is that CRTs have three guns which generate three different beams of electrons shot on a panel covered by phosphors, while FEDs have hundreds of small electron sources behind each pixel and all is contained in a space smaller than that of the CRTs. Each pixel is directly controlled, as it happened in the LCD displays, and each pixel emits then light emissions due to the phosphors stimulated as in a traditional CRT. These monitors are very thin."

- Source: http://www.hwupgrade.com/monitor/index3.html

Arvin Sloane

We are not amused.
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
"FED

The technologies considered in the field of monitors can be divided into two families: 1) monitors based on radiation emissions such as traditional CRT and plasma units, that is devices which emits light towards the exterior world, and 2) monitors of transmission type, such as LCD monitors. One of the best technological approach in the monitors construction which puts together both technologies previously described is the FED (Field Emission Display) technology; FED monitors are based on a process which is a bit similar to that of the CRT monitors, as they have phosphors which light when stimulated by a beam of electrons. The main difference between a CRT device and a FED is that CRTs have three guns which generate three different beams of electrons shot on a panel covered by phosphors, while FEDs have hundreds of small electron sources behind each pixel and all is contained in a space smaller than that of the CRTs. Each pixel is directly controlled, as it happened in the LCD displays, and each pixel emits then light emissions due to the phosphors stimulated as in a traditional CRT. These monitors are very thin."

- Source: http://www.hwupgrade.com/monitor/index3.html
Interesting, thank you. I hadn't heard about 'FED' yet.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Arvin Sloane said:
Interesting, thank you. I hadn't heard about 'FED' yet.
No probs.
I hadn't actually heard of OLED before either :) - it looks like we have both enlightened each other on the topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)