League of Legends! (1 Viewer)

aaronnx

HSC
N/A
The HSC is almost over, and with that there are a ton of people who plan on catching up their lost "gaming phase". I started playing League of Legends(LoL) during the post-trial period and found it to be a great F2P(Free-To-Play) game that uses an in-game "real-money" system. Its not compulsory to buy with real currency as you can still play the game without it and gain full access to all features but taking longer to unlock them.

The gameplay is similar to those of DotA(Defence of the Ancients) and HoN(Heroes of Newerth) with the main differences being the graphics or animations and its perpetual update system which consistently adds new champions and balances/bug fixes. The main reason it excels over the 2 other named ^ is because it adds a new dimension to the game and by that I mean that its not the same old over and over. LoL has added a new game mode apart from the classic and have just begun to add more. This online F2P game is not new nor is it old. It has a LARGE amount of potential as it is still growing and has an enormous online community.

LoL also utilizes the competitive aspect of games, the game uses a leveling system, granting XP after each match. The level cap is at 30 and upon reaching this status, you will be able to participate in "ranked matches" in which you form a group with 4 other players and become a team. You can compete against other teams and your team will have an overall rating which matches you to teams with similar statistics.

Over the 7 days I played it, I unlocked a number of champions and had an immense amount of fun, however I have now stopped since the externals are coming up. I'm recommending this game to those who are willing to play over the 4 month break that we get after the HSC.

My reason for posting this is to gain some team members for when we reach level 30 so we can participate in ranked matches. At the moment, I dont have anyone to team up with and hence i'm promoting this game.

Below is a referral link, join up, try it out, what's the harm?

http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=5036193ab6cf5548740667

Once in-game, add aaronnnx :drink:

(Yes, the referral link benefits me in a minuscule way but i'm mainly doing this for team members. You can sign up normally without referring anyone but thats a waste of points that could be put to good use :p):smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

aaronnx

HSC
N/A
This is an educated comparison article that I copied and pasted, so you guys dont have to open the link, but here it is anyway :p

http://au.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29187896/dota-2-vs-lol---educated-comparison

There have been several articles describing how a player of LoL feels once he enters into DotA 2 lately. The problem is those articles were written by people that didn't actually get into DotA 2 and they basically had no idea what they are talking about.

On the other hand, there are a lot of elitist statements by DotA veterans that act like douchebags calling LoL causal, kiddy, etc.

I played both of these games a LOT and I want to try to compare them without any prejudice and without stating which one of them is better.

1. Accessibility

Lets get this out of the way, the answer is known by most ppl anyway: LoL is more accessible than DotA 2. Dying is less punishing because you don't lose that much gold and even if you get owned two or three times during the laning phase you still won't be that much behind. If you get killed or are forced to run back to your base two or three times during the laning phase in DotA you are several levels and a lot of gold behind and it will be very tough for you to get back into the game. Also LoL has nice tutorials on everything, even video tutorials for every skill, etc. That is what makes it a lot more accessible.

2. Difficulty

Difficulty of both games depends on the skills of your opponents. DotA 2 is a bit tougher to get into, but that is a matter of accessibility, not a matter of difficulty.

3. Hero Design

I don?t aim to measure the artistic stylization of hero design, because its a matter of personal preference. I personally like both ways I like the wild colorful comics style of LoL just as much as I like the darker, more fairy tale-like approach of DotA 2. I want to focus more on character development, variability, etc.

3.1 Character variability

This is where DotA 2 kicks in. Despite having less characters than LoL, the roster actually gives you more options. Every single hero in DotA 2 is highly specialized in certain ways and lacking in others and each one has very unique play style. LoL has its greats too, but many of LoL champions feel a bit generic compared to the distinguished personality of DotA 2 heroes (I mean personality through skills and in gameplay).

3.2 Character development (through levels and items)

In both games, characters gain power through levels and through items. Level cap of champions in LoL is 18 and level cap of heroes in DotA 2 is 25. After the level cap is reached both games have their characters fully developed (i.e. you can?t have the same max level character with different skills). Level cap is a bit higher in DotA 2 not only by the numbers, it actually takes longer to reach it in-game. Thats why many DotA 2 players feel like they were stopped from growing just when they started to be a bit ahead of their enemies. Its also less punishing if you stay a few levels behind in LoL, because you will equate your opponents sooner thanks to the lower cap.

In terms of items, the difference is even bigger. It is almost impossible to max out on items in DotA 2 (i.e. get into a situation when you have plenty of gold and no idea what to buy to make your char better), while its quite common in LoL.

Its a tough call whether the overall lower power cap of characters in LoL is a bad thing. It allows for some nice comebacks of a team that slipped behind earlier in the game. On the other hand once your Sven is level 22 with BKB and Satanic in inventory and enemies are stuck around 18 struggling to gather their core items in DotA, you feel like a real badass.

4. Skills

Both games are heavily based on using hero skills. Some skills are very similar (like Amumus or Urgots ultimates vs Treants and Vengeful Spirits ultimates). Im not going to argue about who copies who. Its pointless and although all those skills were first used in DotA, some of them were designed by Guinsoo who later just used his own ideas again in LoL.

Its a matter of fact that overall skills are bigger in DotA 2. They cost more mana, have longer range, more damage, longer stuns or silence effects, etc. There are things like perma invisibility, 5sec. stuns, etc. Therefore it is more important to use them right. Missed a fissure? You are out of mana and will be for some time unless you buy some mana regen items or go back to your base!

On the other hand, it is more satisfying to score a kill in DotA 2, because not only it matters more (kills make more difference in DotA 2 than in LoL), but it also comes with a bigger bang!

5. Map

On first sight both maps look basically the same (which is also what most anonymous LoL players say about them because they never seriously played DotA 2), but in a closer look, there is a lot of difference.

First of all, the top lane is vastly different from the bottom lane in DotA 2. Each side has one lane, that allows pulling of creeps to neutral camps (gaining more XP by killing neutral camps early and denying some XP to your opponent because the neutrals kill some of your creeps in the process), but it is also much easier to gank this lane (where a jungler usually is if the team decides to have one).

What I love about LoL map is that it contains neutral camps with various bonuses. Timing respawn of those camps adds great dynamic to the game and forces shodowns. DotA basically only has Roshan and it is not that crucial to kill him as soon as he spawns.

There are also some other differences between the maps like high grass vs high grounds that prevent vision, etc., but those are minor in my opinion.

Its also worth to mention the fact that LoL has a 3v3 map Twisted Treeline, which is great if you only have two friends to play with currently online. I personally only play TT in LoL lately, because when Im alone or if we are five, I go for DotA 2.

6. Conclusion

Both games are great at what they are doing.

LoL is more accessible, while DotA 2 is more punishing, but also more rewarding. LoL is easier to learn, DotA 2 is a deeper and more complex experience.

If you want just to have fun and relax in a game of this genre, go for LoL, you will have tons of fun. If you have group of 5 people with similar mindset - thats even better, you're gonna have even more fun!

If you want a game that you need to put a lot of effort into to really master, if you have 4 reliable friends to make a team with and if you want to be rewarded for your hard work by real excitement of well deserved victory, go for DotA 2. It will take you on a journey through hell, you will be owned hard by teams that play tighter, gank better, and every little mistake will cost you the game. But beating the other team, punishing their own mistakes and breaking through their base will be huge satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment!

aaronnx

HSC
N/A
True, but hey i'm not here to prove which game is preferable over which. I'm asking for competitive team members :p

Thief

!!
HSC
Not sure why you'd write so much when you could easily just say 'Hey, anyone else here play LoL?' cos there are quite a few people I'm sure.

aaronnx

HSC
N/A
It's an attempt to introduce new players and convince them to participate as well :)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
not sure if you're a big fan of dota 2 but the international group stage is on atm

HSC
i suggest checking out some streams on twitch or own3d

tournaments been going on for the past few months all leading up to october where there's a $3mill or 5mill prize pool (advertised as biggest in esports history) so you should def check that out

Yeah Buddy

HSC
sorry, Hon is utterly imbalanced as they release a freaking new hero on a weekly basis. LOL is a complete joke, its name abbreviates for itself. and dota 2 thats where it's at, at the moment. Aside from the incomplete roster and glitches, the original is always the best.

uniquee

reps2g is a stalker
HSC
sorry, Hon is utterly imbalanced as they release a freaking new hero on a weekly basis. LOL is a complete joke, its name abbreviates for itself. and dota 2 thats where it's at, at the moment. Aside from the incomplete roster and glitches, the original is always the best.
m8, hon is the best game.

It beats DotA 2 and LoL.. It's gameplay is amazing + graphics.

aaronnx

HSC
N/A
I was just asking for a few competitive players to join me in LoL in like 10 weeks time... :/

Yeah Buddy

HSC
m8, hon is the best game.

It beats DotA 2 and LoL.. It's gameplay is amazing + graphics.
Hon best game?? What are you friggen 12 years old? Its imbalanced as fuck. Beats dota 2, gtfo nothing beats the original. Fyi dota 2 is practically the original since ice frog is on the creation team at valve

uniquee

reps2g is a stalker
HSC
m888888.

I'm still better than you, In all of those games. Come at me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)