Leaving the HSC at half way? (1 Viewer)

Dugnut

HSC
Hi everyone, I'm a first time poster although I've lurked for the last couple weeks. I thought my first post should be something important, so here we go. :D

Half yearlies are coming up in a week. Over the past month or two, I've been mulling over the idea in my head of leaving, because I've just run out of steam. I don't have a huge workload. I do Advanced English, SDD, IPT, Ancient History and General Maths (General Maths is boring), and ranked in the top 5-10 in each except General Maths. It's not because I'm smart; I've just been working hard, and now I've come to realise that I don't know why I've been trying. I'm not going to university, and there's a permanent full-time job that will end up in me owning a profitable, established business, and a $700 per week wage the day I start. I'd be doing it even if I got a UAI of 90+. I've lost interest in my studies, and if I can't bear to study even a week in advance for my half yearlies...

Should I just quit now and start working? It'd save me so much stress, as I don't have the talent to do well without trying very, very hard. If I do, and in 3 or 4 years time change my mind, what can I do about it? What options are there if I have a reason to be interested in my studies again?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Anam

HSC
My personal opinion is that you should stay, you have already made it so far, why give up now? Sure you have a great opportunity which awaits you once your done, but you never know what could go wrong? This could be a good back up, and you would surely regret it...Because i know many people who have...Stay on and keep up with the hard work, it will be worth it, trust me.

biggie walls

HSC
Its not halfway dude... we're about 3/4 through now... I suggest you keep going at it and just work on ways of containing your stress...

Stay in school if only for another 6 months of freedom from the dreaded workforce

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
..we basically are half way there.

6months 3 weeks and 2 days left of a "year"

i think thats a half .. :)
well, if you really wanna be technical and waste a time, the weeks we've been at school, and put it over the number of weeks in a school year.

that'll be your answer .. =o= ... if you reallly wanna waste some more time and accurate, multiply the weeks by 5 and add / minus the amount of days to in accordance to the week. and put it over 5x number of weeks in a school year. =)

DeltaOne1

HSC
Interesting thread, I too have been wanting to leave since the start of this year.

Due to, too much stress from School and outside of School, It all became too much to bare with, so I asked my Teachers what is involved in leaving and they are very much so against it, I really want to just leave and that will stop most of the stress, I can't study cause I just don't get motivated...I don't think im going all that well at School anyway, I only have a Casual job atm, so I shouldn't leave, but im so close too..it just gets too much for me.

I was also going to make a thread on this tonight, ahaha.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Wheres the stress coming from?

Seriously, dude dont stop now. 12 years and 4 months and now you want to stop. You'd be good at managing that business with that attitude.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Bookie said:
Wheres the stress coming from?
DeltaOne1 said:
Due to, too much stress from School and outside of School
I would also say it's about half way, dropping out now would be a waste of 6 months of "hard work", I would suggest to keep going, it's a tough year, but we're not far from the end. Just hang in there and do your best in your exams and assessments.

DeltaOne1

HSC
Family, friend's, working and stuff generally like that.

I work most Thursday, Friday and Saturday Nights so yeah, that gets tiring and a bit stress full as I miss out on relaxing etc.

I guess I do get stressed a bit easily, but yeah, Im fairly quiet at School, mostly cause I don't like too many people in my classes as they just have differen't morals then me and yeah, whatever.

I'm not too sure what else, I might have to give that one a think and get back to ya :)

Edit: Replying to above poster, yeah, Im really worried about how I am going at School as well, with marks etc, cause im so behind in English, but I think my teacher know's how stressed I am so, that might help...but everyones behind so :p

Dugnut

HSC
I've decided I'll just stick out, no matter how much I hate it. I bet it'll be over before I know it...

Bookie

Banned
HSC
DeltaOne1 said:
Family, friend's, working and stuff generally like that.

I work most Thursday, Friday and Saturday Nights so yeah, that gets tiring and a bit stress full as I miss out on relaxing etc.

I guess I do get stressed a bit easily, but yeah, Im fairly quiet at School, mostly cause I don't like too many people in my classes as they just have differen't morals then me and yeah, whatever.

I'm not too sure what else, I might have to give that one a think and get back to ya :)

Edit: Replying to above poster, yeah, Im really worried about how I am going at School as well, with marks etc, cause im so behind in English, but I think my teacher know's how stressed I am so, that might help...but everyones behind so :p
but dude, your in the middle of year 12. you probably should give up your job eh.

unless your familys in an unfortunate situation, which would suck, and im sorry.

vg_woz_here

HSC
even though most of us want to give up...just think that uve made it this far..and only have about 6mnths to go...so why waste the time u spent making it to this point...

DeltaOne1

HSC
Im not leaving, I would love too..people would kill me including my teachers, with everything they put up with so far from me, it would dissapoint them too much :p

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
The rewards of an education will last you for a lifetime. What if the job doesn't work out? You'd have wasted your time and going back to high school wouldn't be that easy either - you'll probably be pretty unhappy about everything. My advice, STAY! I do beg you to, because first of all, you're doing sooo well and it's too good a fight to give up; second of all, it's a fight where you know you'll win in the end if you keep trying the way you are. You don't need talent, bjust patience and persistance...and prevention is really better than cure - You can't always go back and redo things, e.g. going back to school.

The permannt full-time job sounds good now, but would you want it as a career? Is that all you want to do? What if you decide to quit and then regret not qualifying for a full education instead? The job market is increasingly competitive and even a university degree won't do at times, without honours at least.

You don't even need to know what you want to do during first year uni. Find something you'd really like to do there. You can choose a flexible degree and with great marks like yours, you'll ace the HSC. If you don't stress now, you'll almost certainly regret it later - 'cos you'll lose more opportunities.

What I can tell you now is to look back on your achievements over this year - You're topping the grade, that's more than great! Don't give up now...You're trying because you want to set up for a good future, yes? Then you'll need to look far far ahead, there will be MORE opportunities and MORE jobs with $700+. If you just take this one here, you'll miss all the others.

I hope you'll make the right decision, you've come this far already. It'll be a real pity if you decide to quit now, even if the future at uni seems bleak or otherwise... I can only say that uni IS great and it's diverse and employers would always go for graduates with degrees, because they'll have acquired the skills they're looking for when they're completing the degrees. University broadens your horizen, your career and your insights.

This is just my observation, in the end it's up to you - The future is in your hands.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
DeltaOne1 said:
Im not leaving, I would love too..people would kill me including my teachers, with everything they put up with so far from me, it would dissapoint them too much :p
Congratulations on making the right decision! :)

It's also important to remember that ever single HSC student has other commitments, problems and issues be it family, friends or work related. Although at times we all despise the HSC it does teach you some important skills in managing your time and prioritizing be it that you may not realize these skills until it is all over.

With the HSC only months away and almost 13 years of schooling complete you might as well see it through, that in itself can show an employee that you have set goals aspirations and can achieve them.

vojnik

HSC
As the others have said, I think you should stay only because you have come so far. Just keep your head up man, even when times get tough and theres too much stress. Dont think too much about when its going to end just do your work day by day and you will be fine.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yeah, srsly, just put your head down and go. Before you know it, it'll be all over. Anyway, your rankings are excellent indeed, so you're not trolling behind or anything. I'd consider it a real waste if you left now, just because:

a) there's only 6 months left to go out of 13 years of schooling
b) you're doing very well in terms of rankings indeed
c) if you don't like your job, it's much harder to return to school life and have to reattempt the HSC. If you're gonna attempt the HSC, I say do it in one go.

Dugnut

HSC
I've decided to stick it out, thanks to the advice of you and other people around school. Cheers for helping me make the right decision. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)