Legal Studies or Ancient History (1 Viewer)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Hmm personally I found Ancient sooo boring and horrible and thought I didn't get it , had a horrible teacher yet I managed a 93 mark band 6. And Legal I loved, had great teacher, got it, found fun and only got 89.
Anicent definitely has easier exam @ end.
@@

Are you serious? The amount of possible questions they could ask you in ancient is ridiculous! Sure there are some main issues which are often addressed, but every year in several modules they ask fuck off random questions which usually screw over a whole bunch of people.

As far as i can remember, of all the past papers i looked at in my preparation for the HSC, the legal papers were the most regular and predictable. I found it extremely easy to pre-prepare essays that with minor tweaking would fit the questions every year.

Perhaps you got lucky with the regularities in your modules for ancient but i really don't know how you could suggest that overall the Legal exam is harder.

Schoey93

HSC
@@

Are you serious? The amount of possible questions they could ask you in ancient is ridiculous! Sure there are some main issues which are often addressed, but every year in several modules they ask fuck off random questions which usually screw over a whole bunch of people.

As far as i can remember, of all the past papers i looked at in my preparation for the HSC, the legal papers were the most regular and predictable. I found it extremely easy to pre-prepare essays that with minor tweaking would fit the questions every year.

Perhaps you got lucky with the regularities in your modules for ancient but i really don't know how you could suggest that overall the Legal exam is harder.
Ancient History probably is more difficult than Legal Studies. In histories, you have to refer to sources and memorise quotes. You also have to study several different societies and several different time periods. In Legal Studies, there is no need to memorise quotes, although you do need to refer to case law and statute law. You also only cover contemporary issues, and a brief historical background to some legal issues.

I could have chosen Ancient History but I think if I did I would still prefer Legal Studies. Legal Studies is my favourite subject because by studying it you learn skills that are transferable across any degree, such as essay writing and referencing, and you also learn concepts that can be applied to everyday life.

Choose Legal - it's awesome! (Just kidding, do what you want)

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Ancient History probably is more difficult than Legal Studies. In histories, you have to refer to sources and memorise quotes. You also have to study several different societies and several different time periods. In Legal Studies, there is no need to memorise quotes, although you do need to refer to case law and statute law. You also only cover contemporary issues, and a brief historical background to some legal issues.

I could have chosen Ancient History but I think if I did I would still prefer Legal Studies. Legal Studies is my favourite subject because by studying it you learn skills that are transferable across any degree, such as essay writing and referencing, and you also learn concepts that can be applied to everyday life.

Choose Legal - it's awesome! (Just kidding, do what you want)
Ancient is more content heavy than legal (especially those stupid julio claudians), however don't think that remember and referring to cases, statute laws (include sec's and what they are) and articles is a walk in the park for the multiple articles. You also have to have a bit more than a brief background knowledge on historical issues, and again its across multiple modules (we've done crime, HR, consumers and workplace)

I personally prefer legal studies, and whoever said there is no essays in legal was wrong. However the exams are easier to prepare for IMO.

Basically you have to work out - which subject you prefer - history or law. and if your marks are better in one or the other. Ignore scaling, it really doesn't mean shit if you study hard.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
haha i'm really not trying critisise you but i just think it's a little bit funny that you prefer legal over ancient in regards to these particular skills =p Historians are the perfectionist nazis of the academic world in these areas.

Schoey93

HSC
haha i'm really not trying critisise you but i just think it's a little bit funny that you prefer legal over ancient in regards to these particular skills =p Historians are the perfectionist nazis of the academic world in these areas.
I wasn't trying to say that essay writing and referencing are skills that are unique to Legal Studies. I prefer Legal Studies to Ancient History because ancient societies have no relevance (to me) and what I learn from studying the law is much more interesting and applicable to my life.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I wasn't trying to say that essay writing and referencing are skills that are unique to Legal Studies. I prefer Legal Studies to Ancient History because ancient societies have no relevance (to me) and what I learn from studying the law is much more interesting and applicable to my life.
Relax, as i said i'm not critising you in any way, i just found the way you worded it a bit amusing =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)