Legal Studies Research Assignment (1 Viewer)

ToKooL4SkooL

HSC
I have a Legal Studies research assignment due within the next few weeks and I need to find a case tha5t took place during the past 10 years in NSW. It has to be an indictable offence that raised issues about the effectiveness of the legal system.
Does anyone have any ideas that may be able to point me in the right direction?
Thanks

Jennibeans

HSC
An idea is to do one of the people involved in the Skaf gang rapes. Not necessarily Bilal Skaf perhaps one of the others Tayyab Sheikh perhaps. Effectiveness is all about balancing effectiveness for society versus effectiveness for the individual there are a lot of effectiveness issues in those cases. For e.g. was it fair on the individual to give the longest non-murder sentence in Australian legal history (ie 55yrs) but if the sentence had been shorter is it then effective for the society ie is society safe with someone like that back on the streets. There would be heaps of material on it too cuz of all the media hype and theres another effectiveness question. Tayyab Sheikh (don't quote me on that spelling) is appealing because the media hype tainted the jurors against him and that may have reduced the effectiveness of the legal system for him but then where will they find untainted jurors for a case like his - nowhere- therefore what may happen is that he'll be acquitted and is that effective law enforcement for society?
Good luck theres heaps you could do and thats just one case

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)