Lenz law question??? (1 Viewer)

teanido

HSC
N/A
How do I answer a question... Find the direction of the current, with the magnetic field and force going in the same direction, I am beginning to think the diagram is dodgy.

How do i use my palm rule to answer it, I can't put my finger in the same directions because then the palm is wrong...

cuppas

Apprentice Mechanic
HSC
i thought that lenz's law meant that if you had a north pole, and moved it towards a coil, the coil would generate a north pole to oppose it?

twilight1412

HSC
its moving in the same direction as the magnetic field so i dont see anywayfor you to use your right hand rule
my conclusion is that there is no current BECAUSE its moving in the same direction
it should be perpendicular.. someone correct me if im wrong

mzduxx2006

HSC
looking at the diagram. magnetic field and current cannot travel in the same direction--> that defeats the purpose for lenzes law in that the magnetic field and current are perpendicular to one another. Applying the right hand push rule, the thumb would obviously travel in the direction the current is travelling in, and if thats the case, then the magnetic field would be going into the page and hence the force experienced is "up the page".

hectic18

HSC
N/A
Hello

This Q is from Dot point phys,
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/3829/imgpm4.gif

I've figured that A, C, E, F, G, H have no induction as there is no change in flux, but i dont know how to work out the others :S

the answers are:
a: no induction
b clockwise
c no induction
d anticlockwise
e no induction
f no induction
g no induction
h no induction
i anticlockwise
j clockwise
k clockwise
l anticlockwise

idling fire

HSC
hectic18 said:
I've figured that A, C, E, F, G, H have no induction as there is no change in flux, but i dont know how to work out the others :S
What I do for induced currents is look at whether the magnetic field is increasing or decreasing. So for B, its going from a region of high magnetic flux density to lower flux density (as shown by the number of x's in the picture). Now looking at the trailing part of the coil (the part furthest away from the velocity arrow), we use the right-hand rule for induced currents.

That is: Thumb in direction of the direction of the motion of a positive charge. For B, this is to the left.
Fingers in the direction of the magnetic field TO BE PRODUCED. So this is the direction that will "oppose the change" in flux. For B, it's moving from stronger to weaker magnetic field. So it wants to oppose this change by strengthening the magnetic field that B moves into. How does it do that? In this case, by producing a field in the same direction as the one on the diagram (into the page).

So then, your palm faces the way the current will flow. As long as we remember that we are referring to the trailing part of the coil, the current in B from that point goes down, and follows clockwise around the coil.

The other coils can be done similarly.
(This is the 'positive test-charge' method.)

Hope that was useful :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)