lets open our minds people (1 Viewer)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
By + Cardinal George Pell
Archbishop of Sydney
25/6/2006

Amnesty International was founded in 1961 by a man called Peter Benenson, who in fact was a Catholic.

The organization has done good work struggling to end torture, political killings, the death penalty and “disappearances”. On many occasions it has fought for the release of prisoners of conscience. It has been an aggressive champion of human rights.

Recently elements in Amnesty’s leadership team have proclaimed a new right. The notion of human rights has been so twisted and changed that the claim is that every woman has the right to abort her baby when she so decides. This is double-speak at its best.

Formerly Amnesty had a neutral position on abortion, because there was no generally accepted right to abortion in international human rights law.

Amnesty followed the policies set out by the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights in 1948, only three years after the end of the Second World War when 50,000,000 people were killed, the worst war in history. It was a charter of peace proclaiming rights for all people in all places and at all times. This is now under threat.

There are 72 Amnesty national branches around the world and already New Zealand and Britain have adopted pro-abortion positions. Australia votes at the end of this month. If there is a consensus and most sections accept the anti-life position, then the international executive will begin to implement the pro-abortion policy for next year. If there is no agreement, the international council meeting in Mexico in August 2007 will decide.

Amnesty now has 1.8 million members around the world but any decision that “a woman’s rights to physical and mental integrity includes her right to terminate her pregnancy” will mean that gospel Christians in every mainline denomination will be compelled to resign. Much of the group’s energy and enthusiasm will be drained from it.

It is a tragedy that after 45 years Amnesty risks losing its capacity to distinguish a genuine human right from a totally bogus claim. This humanitarian organization is on the brink of working for a universal right to kill.

A woman’s reproductive right to choose cannot suppress the more basic human right to life itself. Article 3 of the U.N. Declaration proclaims that “everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person”.

In every country where Amnesty’s intentions have been made public Christian leaders have objected strongly, e.g. in England, the United States, Canada, India. Amnesty have gone particularly quietly in the United States because pro-life awareness and sympathies are more developed there.

Pope John Paul II said that an inability to distinguish good from evil is “the most dangerous crisis which can effect man”.

Let us hope there will be sufficient clear minded humanitarians in Australia, and throughout the world, to prevent Amnesty making a terrible mistake and betraying its origins.

banco55

HSC
robo-andie said:
There is a difference between a societies religious culture, and their representative culture.

for example:
The representative culture of Ireland (the culture which we associate with them, and see, the one they uphold) does not circulate around either Catholic or Protestant cultures (their differing religious cultures).
I think this would be news to the people of belfast.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
robo-andie said:
It's true. Rural NSW lacks a variety of peoples from different ethnic groups. However, the majority of us can still appreciate diversity and accept it. Does this count towards Australias multicultural/diverse label?
Dunno about Bathurst or Albury (ive been to the latter, not sure about the former), but there are elements of ethnicity in the bush

but your right in that theres not a variety... as in multicultural

i know of an indonesian community in wyong (or some other town dunno), several lebanese/arab communities in Young, nowra, orange, (ive been to all of em) an aussie convert friend of mine told me there was a halal abbatoir in near mudgee but i cant remember if that was correct although he grew up there...

i know theres a few indian/sri lankan communities in some Qld towns who settled there 50-80 years ago- the've appeared on tv docs before and they're tru blue aussies

at any rate you wont find indians, mexicans, arabs and anglos all in the same town, they chose a place to set up camp and didnt have to interact with anyone other than the anglos and the Aboriginal communities- its not multiculturalism, just bi or triculturalism

and the number of ethnics in any one town if there is a community is small- usually small time farmers, or campers who've set up a permanent camp and take kids out there to have fun...

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
ihavenothing said:
On the issue of tolerance and religion, why does one religion have to be considered as being part of an ethnic group, anyone can choose to be a Muslim.

Yes, and it would be a complete waste of time as land there is FUCKING expensive, the people there would lobby for its removal, and I have NEVER seen a bitch in a headscarf or are aware of any living in that area. There is a tiny mosque in Dee Why, but its congregation are mainly Indonesian and Aussie converts.

theres a mosque in artarmon too

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Since I cant sleep I'll add to this thread.
Culture is just a way of life, and living in a cultured society is efficient. (because everyone is on the same page)
Living in a multi-cultural society gives people options and diversity, and that is efficient as it builds more understanding people.
Living in a racist 'multi-cultural' society, builds discriminatory people constantly in argument when anonymous but politically correct in a 'cultural' environment.

People just feed off each others bullcrap, and the media sells it as the truth.
The best way to be understanding, and too live in an ethnically diverse nation is to be, open-minded. (as the topic suggests),
and to actually 'think', in the politically correct way we do in public and when overwhelmed by the ethnic 'presence'.

If you're nationalistic, like the Australian forefathers of this country who 'built' this beautiful nation with the help of the migrants.
Then, the country will run perfectly fine.
Love your family, your country, be proud of your country, and your heritage, and Love your countrymen/women.

-EOD

Last edited:
K

katie_tully

robo-andie said:
It's true. Rural NSW lacks a variety of peoples from different ethnic groups. However, the majority of us can still appreciate diversity and accept it. Does this count towards Australias multicultural/diverse label?
Are you kidding me? I live in a town with 12,000 people. In this town we have Turkish, Chinese, African, Italians, Thai and such and such. It's not the array of people you get in Sydney, but for a town with 12,000 I think it's fairly multicultural. I would assume Bathurst does also, considering it's only 2 hours from me. We do not have large populations of ethnicities, but that doesnt mean we lack variety.

A lot of the shearers out here are South African. We can't get nurses, so we have Irish and Philipino nurses come over. The town I grew up in has 300 people, yet once a year it has an Irish festival which draws 2000 people, some of whom travel from Ireland for it especially.

otay

HSC
sam04u said:
Love your family, your country, be proud of your country, and your heritage, and Love your countrymen/women.
Just felt like this had to be read again by every1. One sentence pretty much somes it up. Love your heritage by all means, but at the same time embrace Australia, feel proud to be an Aussie. A multiracial society and to the point just before where it becomes chaos, multriculturalism are GREAT.

banco55

HSC
katie_tully said:
Are you kidding me? I live in a town with 12,000 people. In this town we have Turkish, Chinese, African, Italians, Thai and such and such. It's not the array of people you get in Sydney, but for a town with 12,000 I think it's fairly multicultural. I would assume Bathurst does also, considering it's only 2 hours from me. We do not have large populations of ethnicities, but that doesnt mean we lack variety.

A lot of the shearers out here are South African. We can't get nurses, so we have Irish and Philipino nurses come over. The town I grew up in has 300 people, yet once a year it has an Irish festival which draws 2000 people, some of whom travel from Ireland for it especially.
White south africans ony rate 1 point on the multicultural cult's scorecard. If they are black south africans they will score 5 points.

robo-andie

HSC
katie_tully said:

I must be completely sheltered from these sub-cultures in the surrounding towns (from bathurst), because the ratio of immigrants to those born in Australia is like 1:40 (approx).

Though, to be completely honest, I have no idea. I can't really tell most ethnic groups apart (based on appearance).

K

katie_tully

So let me get this straight. For a culture to be considered "multicultural" they must be black?

What the fuck?

K

katie_tully

No, no, was talking to Banco.
I realise now that he was being a facetious little worm. :)

bshoc

HSC
N/A
robo-andie said:
You are though. Please provide some.
For starters, ever go throught the history of the Roman Republic/Empire, Byzantium, the Greek States ?

robo-andie

HSC
Pretend that I know nothing about history.
Teach me what is relevant to showing diversity is bad for society.

HSC
I believe bshoc is referring to the influx of Greek culture that occurred in Rome in the late BC period.
It led to a focus more on the individual rather than a previous focus on the Republic as a whole, which in turn led to a number of individuals holding absolute/very large amounts of power (Marius, Sulla, Caesar etc.).
This in turn led to a weakening of the Republican/Empirical institutions and eventually the downfall of the Republic.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
The Brucemaster said:
I believe bshoc is referring to the influx of Greek culture that occurred in Rome in the late BC period.
It led to a focus more on the individual rather than a previous focus on the Republic as a whole, which in turn led to a number of individuals holding absolute/very large amounts of power (Marius, Sulla, Caesar etc.).
This in turn led to a weakening of the Republican/Empirical institutions and eventually the downfall of the Republic.
That, and the eventual demise of the West Roman Empire via barbarian population and the East Roman Empire by the rise of Islam.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)