Libya to be ruled under Sharia law (1 Viewer)

Garygaz

HSC
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...transitional_leader_says_sharia_l.html?r=news

Libya will rule by Sharia law, the country's transitional leader proclaimed during a ceremony declaring "liberation."

Islamic Sharia law, a controversial code for living that governs observant Muslims' lives, will be the "basic source" of legislation from now on, said Mustafa Abdul-Jalil, chairman of the National Transitional Council, during a ceremony that marked the end of Libya's eight-month civil war.

Existing laws that contradict the teachings of Islam will be nullified, he said.

The announcement came three days after Moammar Khadafy's gruesome death - which ended his brutal four-decade reign.

"We are now united. We have become brothers in love," Abdul-Jalil said during the celebration Sunday in Benghazi, as a crowd waved red, black and green flags. "This revolution was looked after by God to achieve victory."

Libyan National Transitional Council chairman Mustafa Abdel Jalil in Benghazi on Sunday. (AP Photo/Francois Mori)

Leaders will form an interim government within a month, Abdul-Jalil said, in anticipation of elections to put a new parliament in place. The country will also set up new Islamic banks that ban charging interest.

Handing over the Lockerbie bomber should be high on the new government's priority list, Secretary of State Clinton said on ABC's "This Week."

"I will raise it with the new Libyan government," she said. "We want to see him returned to prison, preferably in Scotland, where he was serving the sentence. But if not, elsewhere, because we thought it was a miscarriage of justice that he was released from the sentence that had been imposed for the ghastly bombing of Pan Am 103."

President Obama also weighed in.

"The Libyan authorities should also continue living up to their commitments to respect human rights, begin a national reconciliation process, secure weapons and dangerous materials, and bring together armed groups under a unified civilian leadership," Obama said in a statement released Sunday.

Meanwhile, an autopsy confirmed the Khadafy's life ended with a bullet to the head. It is still unclear, however, under what circumstances Libya's former despot received the fatal head wound on Thursday.

Libya's chief pathologist, Dr. Othman al-Zintani, said only that Khadafy died from a shot to the head, according to Reuters.

He would not disclose further details or elaborate on the dictator's final moments, saying he would first deliver a full report to the attorney general.

"He died because of a gunshot wound. It is obvious," the doctor said, according to Reuters. "There are still several issues. We have to pass[the report] to the prosecutor general. But everything will be revealed publicly. Nothing will be hidden."

The autopsy, carried out secretly, was done in a morgue, Reuters reported. The body is expected to go back to the commercial freezer in a Misrata shopping mall where it has been on public display.
The United Nations is investigating Khadafy's death. Meanwhile, most Libyans do not appear to be mourning his demise.

"If [Khadafy] was taken to court, this would create more chaos, and would encourage his supporters," Salah Zlitni, 31, who owns a pizza parlor in downtown Tripoli, told The Associated Press. "Now it's over."
free at last, free at last

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
end well this will not

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
id rather not get into another heated debate

but i will leave this here

In fact, sharia family law is a pillar of women's oppression in countries under Islamic laws. And it often exists even when the penal code no longer applies.

Under sharia law's civil code, child custody reverts to the father at a preset age, even if the father is abusive. Women who remarry lose custody of their children even if the child has not reached the preset age and sons are entitled to inherit twice the share of daughters.

Also a woman's testimony is worth half that of a man's. A woman's marriage contract is between her male guardian and her husband, and a Muslim woman is not permitted to marry a non-Muslim. A man can have four wives and divorce his wife by simple repudiation, whereas a woman must give justifications for requesting a divorce, some of which are extremely difficult to prove.
moving from one oppressive political system to another

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...s-for-sharia-law/story-e6frg97x-1226113380272

boris

Banned
HSC
true fact

the author of that article is a communist

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
just to further clarify ur position

u are in support of sharia law being implemented?

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
okay fair enough

may i ask why?

also (not having a stab at you, just out of sheer curiosity) would you support its implementation in australia if the choice were to arise?

Garygaz

HSC
i'd like to reclarify my stance that zombie is an undercover muslim sympathizer

boris

Banned
HSC
it would be good for australia
we lack discipline
a legal system based on sharia law would prevent a lot of crime

Garygaz

HSC
ughguhguhg

this whole era of revolutions, with the US being the generous sideline guy helping to topple regimes.... afghanistan 1990s all over again anyone? just wait 10 years when libya will be harboring the extremists and al qaeda.

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
it would be good for australia
we lack discipline
a legal system based on sharia law would prevent a lot of crime
but thats only focusing on one sphere of civility and life

we will have too many of our rights and freedoms impeded upon

i do agree that 'we lack discipline'

but i can assure you, being coerced into lawful obedience is why revolutions start in the first place

edit: also, IMO, their values are quite archaic and havent developed with the rest of society

i agree that they arent the only religion, catholicism is guilty of this too, but at least we live in a secular society (for the most part)

boris

Banned
HSC
im joking lol i wouldnt support a religious law system

we already have our rights and freedoms infringed on a daily basis cmon its illegal to swear

Duha_H

HSC
Shari a law?? does anyone know the real meaning?
its actually equality for all humans but are punished in a more Harsher way if you think it of
it compared to other countries eg. Australia

and this guy above has actually no idea wat his talking about .........
coz according to sharia if one repents, others must leave him alone and that guy did...
oh nd my opinion i wouldnt have sharia law in a secular country....

Last edited:

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
Sharia law?? does anyone know the real meaning?
its actually equality for all humans but are punished in a more Harsher way if you think it of
it compared to other countries eg. australia
im sorry

but in no way does it promote equality

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Sharia law?? does anyone know the real meaning?its actually equality for all humans but are punished in a more Harsher way if you think it of
it compared to other countries eg. australia
That's the point...there is none. There are so many schools of Islam, so many people arguing about whether or not it should include just the Quran, or the Sunaat and Hadith as well that there is no definitive version of it. So that's why its an irrelevant form of law. Law needs to be stable, objective and definitive, not shifting depending on the subjective views of different people on the metaphysical teachings of Allah and his Prophets.

Not only that, but the application of religious law automatically excludes those outside the religion, who would feel no obligation to adhere to the laws of a religion they are not a disciple of. Hardly "equality".

Plus Australia has a perfectly fine legal system and there is no reason why it should be replaced. Religious law is irrelevant when secular law provides a more universal and fairer version of law anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)