Life after suspension (1 Viewer)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I've thought about the option of work experience in an engineering field, but who would hire anyone who's been suspended from university even for free? I will definitely speak with an academic advisor and figure out all the options that lies before me.

Just a quick question though, am I going to get forever killed off by engineering companies once they see this record on my academic transcript?

Thanks beforehand.
What engineering are you doing, if it's civil I think city councils don't really care about your marks and would take you on for free.

qwerty0120

HSC
What engineering are you doing, if it's civil I think city councils don't really care about your marks and would take you on for free.
I'm doing electrical engineering.

On a side note thanks for all the advices everyone! Much appreciated.

lawstu

HSC
I actually thought you plagiarised or something or repeated some offence that you did after an initial probation period or a warning.
That's painting our universities in a bit of a bad light, don't you think?
You don't have to be too cynical to think that higher education is becoming increasing corporatised, but it's understandable that they're going that way.

Sorry what sort of context are you looking for? I could say that my parents separated but to be fair that's not really why I failed so many subjects. I was not prepared for the workload of university and did not realise the importance of uni work until everything was too late.
If it wasn't because you were too torn up by your goings-on pertaining to parentals and you're more than capable otherwise except for work ethic things, then reapply to UTS (which is a great engo uni and readily accessible from a railway station) or USyd and just do fewer subjects at first, till you get on your feet or work out a work/life/other regime that works for you.

If you want to still do anything to do with electrical engineering, it may be advisable to work stuff out before returning to uni - Sydney or UTS - to recommence studies.

For specific advice, I don't think anyone here can help you work this out other than mental health professionals and lawyers but best of luck with it. A psychologist might be advisable to work through things such as how to deal with assessments, stress or lack thereof, etc. Furthermore, you may also want to further engage in dialogue with UNSW in an attempt to address it, be it to remedy your progression status or to ask them how to do stuff with your life.

You've probably seen it but UNSW explains some of this at its website: https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/assessment/Academicstandingexplanation.html, https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/assessment/academicstandingfaq.html, and https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/assessment/academicstandinglevels.html. Not sure what would happen with your transcript or account of studies if you were to stay there or move elsewhere.

Regardless of what you do, best of luck with the rest of the year and the following few too.

a19901213

HSC
Actually I'm quite surprised that they suspended you for just failing five subjects. I'm not saying failing 5 COURSES is nothing, but I thought lots of people do fail these amounts of subject.

Or is it because UNSW is more strict on academic performance than other uni? coz I have lots of friend studying in uni in qld and group of them fail like more than 5 subjects a year and nothing really happened on them. I even have a friend who failed like 6 courses a year and sustain to stay in the uni.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually I'm quite surprised that they suspended you for just failing five subjects. I'm not saying failing 5 COURSES is nothing, but I thought lots of people do fail these amounts of subject.

Or is it because UNSW is more strict on academic performance than other uni? coz I have lots of friend studying in uni in qld and group of them fail like more than 5 subjects a year and nothing really happened on them. I even have a friend who failed like 6 courses a year and sustain to stay in the uni.
WOT?!

Most unis kick you out if you fail:
- A core subject 3 times
- ~5 core subjects
I thought that was for all unis?Q??!!??!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
If you want to still do anything to do with electrical engineering, it may be advisable to work stuff out before returning to uni - Sydney or UTS - to recommence studies.
I'm not sure about other universities but at UTS they won't let you transfer if you are suspended at your current university. I asumme that would be the case anywhere. Regardless of that it's a pretty good idea to transfer unis i'd say, even if UNSW is supposedly the best uni for engineering having a fresh start elsewhere will probably look better in the end. If you stay at UNSW you are going to have to work your ass off to get back up to a credit average to be competitive and even then your 5 fails will be questioned in interviews.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

WOT?!

Most unis kick you out if you fail:
- A core subject 3 times
- ~5 core subjects
I thought that was for all unis?Q??!!??!
I agree, wtf.

This is how it is at MQ as well.

If you're failing 5+ units a year without a very good reason (serious illness, death in the family etc.) you should really be re-considering whether uni is for you, imo.

a19901213

HSC
I agree, wtf.

This is how it is at MQ as well.

If you're failing 5+ units a year without a very good reason (serious illness, death in the family etc.) you should really be re-considering whether uni is for you, imo.
seriously I'm not lying. I have a friend in qut who failed like 6 coures in first year and a friend doing commerce in UQ and he just failed like 4 courses last year (yeah just like you people i am also curious on how they managed to fail these many subjects and get away with nothing) I believe the one who failed 6 courses did get warning, but that's it.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
seriously I'm not lying. I have a friend in qut who failed like 6 coures in first year and a friend doing commerce in UQ and he just failed like 4 courses last year (yeah just like you people i am also curious on how they managed to fail these many subjects and get away with nothing) I believe the one who failed 6 courses did get warning, but that's it.
Well, some unis give you leeway in first year because it's a big change, but like, I guess that's it.

You would have to do most of first year again anyway, having only completed 2 units. :/

lawstu

HSC
Perhaps, and I am by no means familiar with the policy, it something to do with failing every course attempted in a semester or more than half of the courses attempted in a semester or year.

Actually, I think the links I included say something to that effect.
Speculation.
I'm not sure about other universities but at UTS they won't let you transfer if you are suspended at your current university. I asumme that would be the case anywhere.
I'd think that'd be the case with any decent university. Whilst I don't believe that people should have baggage from a different time or different person from now and who they are now, I don't believe that the whole transfer and have tabula rasa is at all fair (though I'm not really sure if this is indeed the case).
Regardless of that it's a pretty good idea to transfer unis i'd say, even if UNSW is supposedly the best uni for engineering having a fresh start elsewhere will probably look better in the end. If you stay at UNSW you are going to have to work your ass off to get back up to a credit average to be competitive and even then your 5 fails will be questioned in interviews.
Definitely.

If you don't have to ever include that and your UNSW transcript on your CV, I'd strongly recommend doing it. I'm not sure how you'd account for the gap in your years, though - falsely claiming that you went on a gap year, perhaps?

kevintang

HSC
op suck his cawk, if you do it right, he'll realise that he'll miss having your pretty lips around him and wont suspend you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)