Life After the Bachelor of Science (Advanced/Normal) (1 Viewer)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
4 years of classes and no guarantee of specialty just doesn't add up against the conditions of a trader or quant.

I still have my spot for 2009 though. If I fail honours (< 1st class), maybe I'll use it.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Nice, what are you trading next yr?

Med and finance are quite different, one is hard and fast the other is slow and steady. I guess it depends what you are after in life.

Last edited:

samwell

HSC
townie said:
idk, i've seen usyd advertising some reaserch assistant jobs for like $75k i kid you not, and i like reaserch
You srs coz last time i checked the salary was btn 40k-50k in most uni's

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Friend 1: B Adv Science (Hons I) - now a technician with Sigma
Friend 2: B MedSc (Hon I) - now a research assistant at Centenary Research Institute
Friend 3: B MedSc - now a part time research assistant, part time Masters by course work
Friend 4: B MedSc (Hon I) - now a research assistant at Sydney Children's Hospital
Friend 5: BSc (Hon I) - now a full time lab manager at Sydney Children's Hospital
Friend 6: BMedSc (Hon I) - now a full time PhD student at UNSW
Friend 7: BSc (Hon II Division I) - now a research assistant at USyd

I hope this helps. :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
samwell said:
You srs coz last time i checked the salary was btn 40k-50k in most uni's
Yes, most of the starting salaries are fall between $45,000 to $50,000 because you are fresh of out uni. Senior research assistant with 3-5 years of experience get paid as much as a junoir post-doc (someone fresh out of a PhD) - $65,000.

Really senior RA and senior post-docs get up to $90,000 p.a. (Requires 8+ years of experience).

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Templar said:
Personally, I'm eyeing an APA (or equivalent) and do a PhD.
Hey Templar, good luck with the APA application. We seriously need more research students in this country!

Are you applying to UNSW or USyd?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I have applied for USyd. Unfortunately due to having thesis due at the same time I wasn't able to canvass people at UNSW and apply for semester one, since I couldn't find a supervisor in time.

I shall know my marks by Thursday, so hopefully that will give me a clearer picture on what will happen.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I know USyd has the UNSW equivalent of the UNSW Research Excellence Award worth 30K, which is 10K more than the APA. Not sure what the requirements are in Usyd though. You might want to consider that as well.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
The VCPA is 30k, and application is by the same form as APA/UPA. More concerned about scaling though, since I definitely have the raw marks for H1. Doubt I'll be elligible for VCPA though, since I'm looking at a raw mark of 81-86.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)