limitations to the short story? (1 Viewer)

wardiej

HSC
I'm planning on doing english ext 2 in year 12 (currently doing EE1 in year 11) I really want to write a short story for my major work and am gathering ideas on what to write about already, but i was just wondering if there is any limitations on what you have to write about, like does it have to relate to previous AOS or have something to do with your english ext 1 topic or your advanced english topics? Is there any limitations i should be aware of or can you just write about whatever you want?

LordPc

HSC
anything you want pretty much. although you are meant to relate it in some way to both your advanced english course and your ext 1 english course.

but dont worry about that. you can just relate it after you have your main idea and story going, so dont worry about that too much

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
does NOT have to be related to BOTH advanced and extension 1 english. only one of them, and you find it's incredibly easy to relate it. most people only do so at the end when completing their reflection statement.

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
I think you can write on whatever topic you want, while avoiding highly controversial/racial/cliche/morbid subjects. Just good taste really.

maddie_

HSC
i'm the same as the first person, in year 11 intending to do ext. 2 next year.

is there a limit on how long a short story can be? sounds like a stupid question, i know, but at some point the story will stop being short, and if i'm left to my own devices, i'll end up writing a novel.

anyone?

eilys close

HSC
i'm the same as the first person, in year 11 intending to do ext. 2 next year.

is there a limit on how long a short story can be? sounds like a stupid question, i know, but at some point the story will stop being short, and if i'm left to my own devices, i'll end up writing a novel.

anyone?
I believe for the Ex2 MW Short story the limit it up to 8000 words, if I'm right (YR 11 student, planning to do EE2 next year) - I can't seem to find the rules, and I've looked EVERYWHERE... But I've found clues here and there so 8000 is my best bet. I think the minimum is like 6000. Not sure. Maybe more. One thing I do know, is that if you do a short story then it does not include the reflection statement in the word count (but if you do poetry it does).

The 8000 can either be a single story or several with a shared theme or motif.

Without double spacing, 500 words usually fit on a page so that means ... 16 pages? Add the double spacing and we're talking about thirty pages. Reading this post:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/295/short-stories/215304/how-many-pages-your-major-work.html
...it would seem I'm about right.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Short stories must be 6000-8000 words in length. As well as this you must submit a 1000-1500 word reflection statement, and of course your Major Work Journal to document the ongoing process.

The course is changing somewhat next year for you guys, so I can point you to the "rules" in the current English syllabus but they may be liable to change slightly for you. These are outlined in the English syllabus at the Board of Studies website:
http://boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/english_syl.pdf
The section for Extension 2 begins on page 128.

As far as I'm aware though, these are the only significant changes:
http://community.boredofstudies.org...e2-internal-assessments-effective-2010-a.html

As a rough guide, the short story may in all likelihood end up being around 30/40 pages when double-spaced. However obviously it can really depend on how you structure your work (ie. page breaks for different chapters or new stories if writing a collection, etc.)

Last edited:

Mary_Ela

HSC
I think you can write on whatever topic you want, while avoiding highly controversial/racial/cliche/morbid subjects. Just good taste really.
define 'highly controversial'
like, what can you NOT talk about?
Thank you :)

HSC
Uni Grad
does NOT have to be related to BOTH advanced and extension 1 english. only one of them, and you find it's incredibly easy to relate it. most people only do so at the end when completing their reflection statement.
Extension Two is an extension of the Advanced and Extension One course. You're supposed to have links to both. Of course, you could ignore it and just link it to one of the courses. However, that would make achieving E4 from very hard to impossible.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Links to both? I don't think so - I believe only you need links. For example, my one is entirely based on my work in EX1.

stleonard

HSC
I agree - our teacher has never said that our work must have a link to both our English Extension and English Advanced subjects - mine links only to my extension, and I'm pretty sure you only have to link it to one...

proletariat

HSC
is it really that hard to bullshit an aspect of belonging into your work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)