limiting series question. (1 Viewer)

lolcakes52

HSC
Okay, got this. So you can show the error is
Now it is evident the each term is less than the previous. With a little bit of justification, we can say that because of the decreasing size of each term in this error sequence the first time is a pretty good approximation of the error sequence in general. ie

But 3^2 is approximately equal to 2^3

So the error is approximately

barbernator

HSC
Okay, got this. So you can show the error is
Now it is evident the each term is less than the previous. With a little bit of justification, we can say that because of the decreasing size of each term in this error sequence the first time is a pretty good approximation of the error sequence in general. ie

But 3^2 is approximately equal to 2^3

So the error is approximately
you have your signs the wrong way around and it didnt really answer the question.

math man

HSC
N/A
i put it in to series notation, series notation makes shit easier

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
It's easy if you know how to proceed. I doubt many people would know to replace the 9, 11, 13...with all 7s...
You just have to be on the constant look-out for 'clues'.

For example the final answer I had to acquire was a closed form (nice single expression) whereas what I had was some sort of open infinite summation. My 'clue' was the fact that the only relationship (in the HSC Syllabus) that draws a connection between an infinite series and a closed form, is the Limiting Sum expression. So I 'forced' the series to become a limiting sum (justified via means of an inequality), and then proceeded to compute the sum as per usual.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)