Linux Distros (1 Viewer)

Fermat

HSC
N/A
Which and why?

Fedora 11 because I cbf trying the others.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Ubuntu 9.10 which is about to come out. Ubuntu is the most advanced and secure and fast of all the linux distributions. Choose Ubuntu (also because the update feature actually works and won't f*** up the computer like many other distros).

Fedora is my second choice imo.

vds700

HSC
I've only ever used Ubuntu, it was alright, but I couldn't get my wireless card working so gave up on it eventually

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I've only ever used Ubuntu, it was alright, but I couldn't get my wireless card working so gave up on it eventually
No, wireless cards and linux never go together unless it's built in :)

I live with cable.

vds700

HSC
No, wireless cards and linux never go together unless it's built in :)

I live with cable.
yeah true, it was a d-link pci wifi adapter for my desktop machine

Since then, we got an ethernet port installed in my room so im using wired networking now. Might install Ubuntu again in the future, but atm I'm finding Windows 7 to be awesomely good

Fermat

HSC
N/A
Ubuntu 9.10 which is about to come out. Ubuntu is the most advanced and secure and fast of all the linux distributions. Choose Ubuntu (also because the update feature actually works and won't f*** up the computer like many other distros).

Fedora is my second choice imo.
nah bro. Fedora trumps Ubuntu on security. Ubuntu doesn't even have a firewall on the system.

Fermat

HSC
N/A
Excuse me? Fedora better than Ubuntu in security?
Ubuntu is the most secure you idiot
oh really??
And here I was thinking Fedora was the most secure....

With Ubuntu, you can download the security programs yourself if you want to.
Yeah, an exclusive feature of ubuntu. Good point.

You know the reason a lot of people use ubuntu is because it's noob-friendly, right?

Anyway, I have nothing against Ubuntu. I'm actually thinking of switching from Fedora. Anyone use OpenSUSE?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Well linux has always been viewed as a horrendous computer nightmare until later version of fedora and ubuntu came out which are noob friendly. With Ubuntu you never have to worry about using command but rather it's simple and chic for the everyday user.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
I think most ubuntu users would use the command line at some point wouldn't they?

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I was under the impression Ubuntu pretty much removes the command line

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I was under the impression Ubuntu pretty much removes the command line
Almost - it's totally there and functional though... I've had to use it a few times personally for more advanced computing with installments and internet settings (VPN and other arrangements).

Catchy

HSC
.... oh god

You sir are an idiot. Ubuntu is the most basic distribution available. It's defiantly not the most secure and is not the quickest.

@youngmini

Higher user base != more secure.

+ first post. :hippie:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)