Living Old (1 Viewer)

lengy

HSC
There's a documentary on how our society is getting older due to medical advances and whether it is a good or bad thing. How old do you want to live to? Are you going to pay for all medical treatments that will save your life or live naturally and if there was an event that would kill you would you want to be brought back to life? And if so what if you were brought back in an less enjoyable existence? What if you were in a coma or didn't know who you are? Is it really worth it to live so long?

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
I wanna live as long as possible, so long as suffering doesn't outweigh happiness. This life is all I've got, after all!

lengy

HSC
Living Old :eek: SBS 8:30 pm tonight. I'm watching it after New Simpsons.

banco55

HSC
Longer life spans coupled with low birth rates is a catastrophe in my opinion. Leaving aside the fact that I think it will be a really depressing place to be when a huge proportion of the population is over 65 economically it will be a disaster. Either the younger generation are going to be taxed to death or the retirement age is going to have go up a lot.

lengy

HSC
I've been saying this for a while now but we really need to cull the older population. I mean... that was a joke?

Children Of Men, people need to watch that.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
i would like to say 80, but really i would be lucky to hit about 65 considering my medical and family history.

I would want to live as much as i can, even if i am in pain, even if i had to be brought back to life in a non ideal way, either way atleast you are still alive. If it was a natural cause or a really awesome way to die [ i.e saving a burning house full of children and dieing from smoke inhalation as i come out with the last kid] or getting stabbed in the heart by a stingray.

lengy

HSC
If I die I want it to be sudden. I don't want to know about it. I pity the deteriorating, crippled aged. I was told I'd probably last till 45, but I'm fine with maybe 70.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
lengy said:
If I die I want it to be sudden. I don't want to know about it. I pity the deteriorating, crippled aged. I was told I'd probably last till 45, but I'm fine with maybe 70.
Do you believe in fortune-telling(s)?

lengy

HSC
Nothing lasts forever and when it comes to life, nothing is certain, but what a doctor says is generally more certain than what a fortune teller says.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
odd...

i was just having a conversation with a friend who has an obsession with trying to prolong life.

i honestly wouldnt want to live past the age of around 80. by then i would have already thought all my thoughts, experienced everything i was meant to and have had my effect on the world. continuing to live simply because i can doesnt appeal to me (unless i happen to be having the most awesome existence ever!...which i doubt).

i wouldnt consider myself to be religious, but im sure there must be something else waiting for us, and even if there isnt its not like my consciousness will be stuck in a grave thinking "well the afterlife sure does suck", ill just enter a state of sleep for several generations before awaking to join the ranks of the undead horde.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
Yes, nothing lasts forever. A very intelligent person once said, "Everything changes. Can you think of one thing that doesn't change?"

I was going to say "human stupidity" but I didn't. I thought it was a time where it's better to be silent than to say something stupid. Besides, just because you think one thing doesn't change doesn't mean it is true. It could be that it's nature is not touched upon to a certain depth that its changeability would be discovered, if exists. We just don't know yet.

lengy

HSC
Well I don't fear dying, I just find it an incovenience if I do. There are some things I want to do still, I'm not sure what but I stand to live a bit longer. The problem is that I'll be inclined to look after my parents.

What this documentary says to me is to enjoy youth more than anything.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
The doctor in this documentary was just explaining how a patient who was diagnosed with severe parkinsons disease, who could no longer swallow, and the way he had to explain it the family.

Basically he said that the body is unable to sustain life. He is unable to eat, and thus if he will die from parkinsons. But if they put a feeding tube in, he won't die of parkinsons. He will die of a "medical catastrophe", such as a severe bed sore or infection, or mistreatment, or a stroke etc; no longer dying of what he was naturally dying of.

I'd have to draw the line there. If I were to die, it would be of that natural causes, kinda like the "original sentence". Not from a "medical catastrophe".

L

littlewing69

lengy said:
Well I don't fear dying, I just find it an incovenience if I do. There are some things I want to do still, I'm not sure what but I stand to live a bit longer. The problem is that I'll be inclined to look after my parents.

What this documentary says to me is to enjoy youth more than anything.
I'm not scared of ceasing to exist so much as spending a few months contemplating that. I'd rather be gunned down at 40 than linger in a hospital bed at 50.

lengy

HSC
That's a good thing.

Besides, straight from the aging's mouth, the like life but it's not their decision whether they can 'end' it apparently.

Life like all things is a choice.

banco55

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
This documentary pushes for euthanasia in a massive way
LOL what do you expect from an SBS documentary? I can't think of one documentary they've showed that hasn't been really far to the left.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)