Lockerbie bomber's freedom improves Arab relations (1 Viewer)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
He was sentenced 27 years to life in jail as far as I believe.

No, I believe the law here is just being used as a loop hole through which to release him as a good will gesture to the Libyan's. I don't think they wouldn't make the same move for a mass murderer in the same position who had less political value.
The justice system is for justice and rehabilitation, not punishment. At least, it should be, unless we've forgotten the old adage "an eye for an eye.."

He's dying of a horrible, horrible cancer. His sentence was to keep other people safe, and to prevent him from reoffending (is that not what prison is designed for?) Clearly, releasing him is not going to risk anyone's lives.

Sprangler

HSC
There's no possible way you can bring justice to the 270 dead people and their distraught families - punishment is fit for people like him, rehabilitation? Fuck that, he had his chance.

Last edited:

Worship_BBJ

HSC
only fucking arab dumb shits would celebrate the death of 270 people. fuck them.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
The justice system is for justice and rehabilitation, not punishment. At least, it should be, unless we've forgotten the old adage "an eye for an eye.."

He's dying of a horrible, horrible cancer. His sentence was to keep other people safe, and to prevent him from reoffending (is that not what prison is designed for?) Clearly, releasing him is not going to risk anyone's lives.
But you've just got it in a nutshell there; rehabilitation.

Whilst this man obviously will not re-offend or be rehabilitated, if I can use the word in that context, I'm sure his being greeted as a hero in Libya (which would have always happened) will encourage future bombers and further act to desensitize the Arab public who should really be disgusted with him and not be looking up to him as a hero.

Another reason for the justice system: to prevent offenders from 're-offending.'

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Whilst this man obviously will not re-offend or be rehabilitated, if I can use the word in that context, I'm sure his being greeted as a hero in Libya (which would have always happened) will encourage future bombers and further act to desensitize the Arab public who should really be disgusted with him and not be looking up to him as a hero.

Another reason for the justice system: to prevent offenders from 're-offending.'
I don't think that's necessarily the case, given he's maintained his innocence. Are they welcoming him as a man finally freed after they believe he was wrongfully imprisoned, or are they welcoming him as a glorified terrorist? IDK.

banco55

HSC
Scotland is going to be mighty embarrassed if this guy is still alive at christmas.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
I don't think that's necessarily the case, given he's maintained his innocence. Are they welcoming him as a man finally freed after they believe he was wrongfully imprisoned, or are they welcoming him as a glorified terrorist? IDK.
You may be right, but my instincts tell me otherwise.

Point taken though, it does stand.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A

I'm sorry but that's ridiculous and incorrect. He should have died in gaol. Anything else is an insult to the memories of the dead and a motivation for terrorists to commit acts of terror and think they will have no real penalty for it.

Sickening.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
They're clearly welcoming him as a hero who struck out against the west. This is LIBYA we're talking about, run by that tent-haunting nut-job Gaddafi.

A bunch of ill-educated morons sucking down the teachings of psychotic fascists who think they have the word of god on their side. A dangerous mixing pot and this just glorifies terrorism.

For fuck's sake you've wandered down the rat hole of stupidity on this one.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC

Gaol is also a deterrent. If zealots think they'll get an easy ride from Western authorities than they're more likely to commit terror acts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)