• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

London Explosion (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamaFloorMat

HSC
N/A
Argonaut said:
What's your source? There's no way India or could be called a superpower, nor Russia.
Fool, both those countries were at teh G8 Summit. India is developing rapidly, they predict it will be the country that will develop the most rapidly in times to come, as with Russia.
Just because AUstralia wasnt at the G8 SUmmit geez..

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
A superpower is a state with the ability to influence events or project power on a global scale. In modern terms, this may imply an entity with a huge economy, a large population, and strong armed forces, including air and space power and a considerable arsenal of weapons of mass destruction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superpower

(I think it was mentioned breifly earlier somewhere)

IamaFloorMat

HSC
N/A
Argonaut said:
The G8 is as follows:
1) America
2) Britain
3) France
4) Italy
5) Germany
6) Japan
7) Canada
8) Russia
No Israel, no India, no China. My point was that HotShot had no idea what he was talking about when he listed them as current superpowers. As for India and Russia being the 'most-rapidly developing' nations, again I ask what is your source?QUOTE]

YES THE G8 ARE THOSE COUNTRIES, BUT I CAN ASSURE YOU THOSE OTHER COUNTRIES WERE THERE AS WELL, Of course they arent the G8 but they were present.

get_born

Argonaut said:
In other news, I finally worked out what that idiot a few pages back was talking about when he said that 7/7/2005 is an important date: it's supposed to mean 777 (7th day of 7th month, 2+0+0+5=7).

But if you can see that, I guess it means that April 24 2013 is also going to be a date when a terror attack occurs.
just w8 and find out. although i stick to the idea that those attacks are really unpredictable.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
yeah im sorry for saying "australia's not even in the g8, one step at a time dude" to cause mass confusion

it was just a random thing to say, which made some sort of sense. australia isn't quite significant in power, thats all. it doesnt imply that its a bad thing. Switzerland and Canada are nice countries I hear, residents with the best satisfaction for their country, and Australia's one of those countries....

anyway, it was said not to cause some wave misunderstanding....

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
He's correct, anyway, Argonaut. Russia is developing (or rather, recovering from decades of oppression) very fast. Youd have to be a fool to imagine it won't be a superpower in the future.

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
"Group of Eight refers to the US, Japan, Germany, France, the UK, Italy, Canada and Russia. Formally known as the G7 before Russia officially joined in June 2002. The G8 is the most influential group of developed countries in terms of its role in the setting policy in the international financial system."

Basically the G8 are the economic backbone of the world economy, but it doesnt mean they are only ones holding economy together. They are in a way an alliance, it doesnt mean they are superpower or anything, it has more relation to the "financial system".

http://www.afsc.org/africa-debt/jargon.htm

Firstly i didnt say that Russia was the fastes growing nation!
"Global output rose by 4.9% in 2004, led by China (9.1%), Russia (6.7%), and India (6.2%). The other 14 successor nations of the USSR and the other old Warsaw Pact nations again experienced widely divergent growth rates; the three Baltic nations continued as strong performers, in the 7% range of growth. Growth results posted by the major industrial countries varied from a small gain in Italy (1.3%) to a strong gain by the United States (4.4%). "
http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/xx.html#Econ

China:
purchasing power parity - $7.262 trillion (2004 est.)
9.1% (official data) (2004 est.)
military expenditure:$67.49 billion (2004)
India:
purchasing power parity - $3.319 trillion (2004 est.)
6.2% (2004 est.)
military expenditure $16.97 billion (2004)
America:
purchasing power parity - $11.75 trillion (2004 est.)
4.4% (2004 est.)
$370.7 billion (FY04 est.) (March 2003)

just a comparison, CIA FActbook. Remember though the figures arent that important, look at the %GDPs which i didnt post , but go CIA Factbook ur self!

Alimoe_KG

HSC
Argonaut said:
I don't see why or how America managed to become the world's only superpower when half the population doesn't even know there is a rest of the world. I also don't think it's right that they consider themsevlves responsible enough to have WMDs when they go around starting wars without finishing the one before it.
LOL! That is so true. An American friend of mine who lives in Australia said the last time he visited America (just over half a year ago), most teens his age still couldn't point out Iraq on a map. I think that's just disturbing.

When you're mighty and powerful, you always deem yourself more capable of handling things such as WMDs. If you have the power, you have the power to maintain the power. And as much as i feel its not right, i still have to admit i would feel safer that the WMDs were in American hands rather than say North Korean or Iranian hands. Still you're right. I guess Afghanistan was justified somewhat. But Iraq was just wierd. It was almost like they decided to invade it out of the blue. I mean, Saddam has been in power so long, i just don't understand why America suddenly felt the need to go and dispose of him now. I think they basically used Afghanistan as a diversion to mask their true intentions, which was Iraq. They sent all their military down there to Afghanistan and once they're there, it's pretty hard for the world to stop them from rolling on into Iraq.

UN needs to be much more assertive and put the foot down.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
Slide Rule said:
He's correct, ayway, Argonaut. Russia is developing (or rather, recovering from decades of oppression) very faster. Youd have to be a fool to imagine it won't be a superpower in the future.
It already is basically a superpower. Only reason it's not as powerful as US is because it still wouldn't dare to act unilaterally without international support. That's in my opinion, what defines a superpower.

The ability and capacity to act according to their own agenda without needing to listen to anybody else, because basically no one can stop you. That's superpower.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
UN have no power, unfortunately USA controls them. USA has the support of Britain, Israel, Australia - no questions asked 100% support.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
anti-mathmite said:
But seeing as Russia is pov, it isn't *really* a super-power, and there is always the conspiracy that the Jews control everything.
lol, Jewish Bolshevism!

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
All my family over there are safe, and from what i have heard all my friends are fine, but communications are still bad, my friend sent me a message at 9am our time and it got here at 4 this arvo, so lots of contact trying to be made still.
My boyfriends ex was on the train between kings cross and russell square but she is physically alright, pretty shaken though.
Will sleep a lot better tonight than i did last night.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Slide Rule said:
He's correct, anyway, Argonaut. Russia is developing (or rather, recovering from decades of oppression) very fast. Youd have to be a fool to imagine it won't be a superpower in the future.
Slide there is a difference with Russia though. Their economic recovery has not been CRASH HOTT compared to China or India. Obviously it has potential, I think we all know that. But perhaps I wont emerge as a superpower too soon.

get_born

Courtenay said:
All my family over there are safe, and from what i have heard all my friends are fine, but communications are still bad, my friend sent me a message at 9am our time and it got here at 4 this arvo, so lots of contact trying to be made still.
My boyfriends ex was on the train between kings cross and russell square but she is physically alright, pretty shaken though.
Will sleep a lot better tonight than i did last night.
goodluck...and to all the others who have been affected to. At the same time to anyone else whos suffering in the world, its times like this i think people should really be thankful for what they have...cos imagine one day it may all be gone.

Kulazzi

HSC
last_chance said:
people should really be thankful for what they have...cos imagine one day it may all be gone.
Agreed. My parents always told me that whenever I'm going, if I'm going somewhere out of home, to say goodbye to everyone before I leave (we have a large household), which does take time but it's worth it. Sometimes I just feel very lucky to have those close to me....but then I think about how I would feel if I lose them one day....

berry580

HSC
jm1234567890 said:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/07/07/london.tube/

shit....

I doubt this is terrorist related though.

EDIT:

ok, i was wrong...

more links.

wikinews

smh (12 dead, etc...) subscription

google news updates
What should I say?
Sucked in? Or "you got what you pay for"?

After I knew there was a terrorist attack in London yesterday, I immediately though Sydney will be the next target.
Then I watched some special program in TV today, and that was practically what the "experts" were saying.
Claiming that Australia has a "great probability" in being attacked.
Just face it, WHAT Australia? Just name the g0dd@mn city, it's Sydney you conservative faggs!!!!
And by the looks of it, using the word "inevitable" to describe the chance of Sydney being attacked shouldn't be too outrageous.....

And they're even considering an increase in number of troops in Afhgan =.="
You bet I won't be going up that Center Point Tower!!!!

monkeyface

HSC
N/A
OK so we are going to run and hide just because some cowards wanna kill alot of people because their god told them to...no thanks...

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
monkeyface said:
OK so we are going to run and hide just because some cowards wanna kill alot of people because their god told them to...no thanks...
their God never told them to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)