Lord of the Flies by William Golding (1 Viewer)

suzlee

HSC
Has anybody else done this book as part of year 10 English, or is doing it for term 4 now?
I've just finished reading it. My one single thought is... IT IS A HORRIFIC BOOK.

I'm quite sensitive to violence and gory things and easily emotionally hurt............ This book actually hurt me. All the things that happen in it - it just makes me want to cry....

Literacy-wise, I can understand why it is considered as a modern classic but really, I don't want to touch the book again. It's a piece of evil :(

The kids in the book are only 12 and younger, and to imagine all the horrible things actually happening in reality....

Did you notice how powerfully the bloody things were described? It may be just me but I've never read anything like it. It makes me want to go and grab a book about little girls having a tea-party or something, ANYTHING, to get my mind off it!

Urgh... I can't say enough to put all my thoughts into words for this book. It's just too horrifying.

I just want to hear what other people think about it.

studentcheese

HSC
Yes. I did it in Year 8. It's quite a frightening book. :p The worst part was Piggy's death. It's horrific reading about young kids engaging in such violent acts. You'll get over it soon :)

Personally, I actually liked the book because every part of it made me keep reading.

HSC
It's a fantastic book. I like the 1960s movie that was made too, the part with Piggy being crushed under a rock was supremely unexpected. :)

I recommend reading A Clockwork Orange since you liked Lord of the Flies so much.

shaon0

HSC
suzlee said:
Has anybody else done this book as part of year 10 English, or is doing it for term 4 now?
I've just finished reading it. My one single thought is... IT IS A HORRIFIC BOOK.

I'm quite sensitive to violence and gory things and easily emotionally hurt............ This book actually hurt me. All the things that happen in it - it just makes me want to cry....

Literacy-wise, I can understand why it is considered as a modern classic but really, I don't want to touch the book again. It's a piece of evil :(

The kids in the book are only 12 and younger, and to imagine all the horrible things actually happening in reality....

Did you notice how powerfully the bloody things were described? It may be just me but I've never read anything like it. It makes me want to go and grab a book about little girls having a tea-party or something, ANYTHING, to get my mind off it!

Urgh... I can't say enough to put all my thoughts into words for this book. It's just too horrifying.

I just want to hear what other people think about it.
This' a really good book. Trust me you'll end up remembering it.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
veloc1ty said:
It's a fantastic book. I like the 1960s movie that was made too, the part with Piggy being crushed under a rock was supremely unexpected. :)

I recommend reading A Clockwork Orange since you liked Lord of the Flies so much.
Suzlee might seize up in horror at clockwork orange or lord of the flies, but at least she didn't get scared and cry in finding nemo (i did).

DALiE. (:

HSC
N/A
I haven't read it. And after that review I don't think I will. :)

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
I read it this year. It was sad and confronting, but we sort of laughed it off by finding all these random quotes which, taken out of context, make Simon look really, really gay. Yeah, we're really mature XD Also, apparently the guy who played Piggy in the movie saved all the money he got from it to put himself through college x]

Jaspal

HSC
Excellent novel, I loved it. It would be one of the "golden oldies" of books.

Emespre

HSC
Yeah...we read it in class in year six (or five, I can't actually remember which one as it was a composite class where the fifteen people from my year were the same for both years five and six...). We then watched the play. It was so sad and kinda weird! It's good to have read it though, I guess, as I know what it's about etc. My cousin (he's older than me, first year uni) is thinking of reading it at some stage.

What unit did you study the book under? We've done Macbeth and Gothic literature, learning about a poet (can't remember which) next term. I know we do SC preparation sometime before the exam, but is there another topic in year ten?

rach18

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I read it in the beginning of the year, I personally didn't like it. The book was quite easy to read but it was just too boring for me.. I read a summary of the book beforehand and spoiled it for me (and my friends) LOL
We also watched the movie which was crap, the actors were horrible, but I don't blame them since I can act for shit. Piggy's death in the movie made the whole class laugh as how ridiculous it was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)