<insert title>
HSC
N/A
i found it okay.. got the DVD today.
will watch it again though

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
But the film is stirring, and in particular placing it in Japan gave it a real absurd feel that I found both amusing and provocative.
I read a reading of it where some guy claims the entire thing was racist. Perhaps true :p

walrusbear

HSC
the argument against that perhaps, is that the film is seen through weary eyes of charlotte

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
walrusbear said:
the argument against that perhaps, is that the film is seen through weary eyes of charlotte
Well put. People accusing LiT of being racist are being just a tad overzealous surely.

walrusbear

HSC
i thought that argument came from a few critics trying to distinguish themselves
it's a pointless line of thought, really

nwatts

HSC
To those who enjoyed LIT: I recommend you catch Broken Flowers in the cinema. I found the two films interestingly similar, in the way they draw response from their audience, rather than in any character/narrative similarity. Great film too. Murray is just fantastic. :p

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i think LiT is a lot better than broken flowers. The only similarity i see between the two is that they both star Bill Murray.

btw broken flowers is very good, but LiT is a magnificent work of art.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
AlleyCat said:
i think LiT is a lot better than broken flowers. The only similarity i see between the two is that they both star Bill Murray.

btw broken flowers is very good, but LiT is a magnificent work of art.
I'll agree with pretty much all of that. Broken Flowers is probably my favourite movie for the year, but having said that, nothing this year really amazed me quite the way Lost in Translation did. Actually Lost in Translation is the movie that got me into movies.

walrusbear

HSC
i agree with benny
is bill murray going to keep playing the same character into the new year? (not that it bothers me much, it works well)

walrusbear

HSC
i still haven't seen either of those sunset movies :(

icecreamdisco

HSC
AlleyCat said:
i mentioned in the broken flowers thread that the dialogue between murray and his 'son' at the end and his dialogue with charlotte is eerily similar (kid says he's interested in philosophy but doesn't know what he wants to be, etc.). i was wondering if that was an intentional homage but i doubt jarmsuch would reference such a popular film.

walrusbear

HSC
i didn't notice that reference, but you're right. it's an odd parallel.
did jarmusch write the film with murray in mind?

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
icecreamdisco said:
i mentioned in the broken flowers thread that the dialogue between murray and his 'son' at the end and his dialogue with charlotte is eerily similar (kid says he's interested in philosophy but doesn't know what he wants to be, etc.). i was wondering if that was an intentional homage but i doubt jarmsuch would reference such a popular film.
actually that is true. i didnt see the connection but now i think about it. however, i dont think the similarity was an intentional homage as much as a parallel theme in both characters.
i thought the directing styles were very different, as was the writing. bill murray is superb though, i can never peel my eyes off him when he acts, and i always feel sad when it is over. he can induce character-audience empathy like very few other actors.

mikeee

Greek Member
HSC
"LOST IN TRANSLATION" is one of the WORST movies there is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you wanna see a GREAT movie then "LOST AND DELIRIOUS" is 10000 times better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HSC
N/A
Lost and Delirious is about teen lesbianism and suicide. Lost in Translation is a little different....I definately prefer the later.

mikeee

Greek Member
HSC
The_Apprentice said:
Lost and Delirious is about teen lesbianism and suicide. Lost in Translation is a little different....I definately prefer the later.
You obviously haven't seen it!

It is 1000's times more meaningful then this crap LiT!!

The only good thing about LiT is that song "fuck the pain away" by Peaches!
The rest is a waste of time!

LaD is better than LiT

watch it and judge for yourself!

and dont listen to losers like nwatts and benny cause they wouldn't know a good movie if it punched em in the face!!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)