• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Lost Vista Password (1 Viewer)

Mikkx

HSC
A friend of mine uses Window Vista, and he lost his password.

Does anyone have an idea on how to retrieve the Administrator password? They've been trying for three months but seriously can't remember the password.

` X .

thank you .

me121

Premium Member
HSC
I don't know. I would assume its encrypted, however search the web. If all else fails you can back up your data (by say plugging the HDD into another computer and copying the data, or running a Live OS such as Ubuntu and backing up your data from there) and then reinstall vista.

michael1990

HSC
me121 said:
I don't know. I would assume its encrypted, however search the web. If all else fails you can back up your data (by say plugging the HDD into another computer and copying the data, or running a Live OS such as Ubuntu and backing up your data from there) and then reinstall vista.
I would do this.

Although, there a certain number of password cracking programs up for download. This is all i will say on the matter.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
michael1990 said:
I would do this.

Although, there a certain number of password cracking programs up for download. This is all i will say on the matter.

just wow

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
but the matter of fact is; that they take ahell of a long time to crack.

here's something to try:
when my dad passworded my computer on my account, i usually booted into safemode which showed a different administrator account which wasn't passworded. i logged into that account and created a new account to go onto my computer. you could alternatively remove the password i thinkor just delete the account and create a new one. :]

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
I assume that's the system admin pw they're talking about, the one you make when you install the system/type in first boot from manufacturer.

Evilo

HSC
ffs how can you forget the password. stupid people.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Unless vista's different, you only need the admin password when you're altering the disk space vista's installed on, ie partitioning/formatting. They can still use it.....

Evilo

HSC
The_highwayman said:
i'm more concerned that they've spent three months with a computer that they cant use because of a pesky password.
seriously, 1 day and i'd have been chasing the solution already rather than pondering for 90 days.
hahaha agreed - i would have had the computer formatted after 2 days.

jordankuai22

HSC
The_highwayman said:
i'm more concerned that they've spent three months with a computer that they cant use because of a pesky password.
seriously, 1 day and i'd have been chasing the solution already rather than pondering for 90 days.
silly

Evilo

HSC
You may be able to do this - im not sure if it will work with vista.

When my laptop died, we pulled out the hard drive, put it into an enclosure and booted it on another computer (that had admin rights). We then copied all the files off it and then reformatted it so it was an external hard drive.

In your case you could do that. Put the hard disk back in the comp, then boot the windows cd and reformat the computer.

Not sure if it would work, but that would be my idea.

Evilo

HSC
me121 said:
running a Live OS such as Ubuntu and backing up your data from there) and then reinstall vista.
clever!
yeah you can get basic USB-ubuntu prgrams off the internet. Just the comp has to be able to USB boot (most new comps can do this though), otherwise just use a linux cd and go from there.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
foram said:
install linux debian or dsl
backup files
install winxp
burn vista
lol. but i would recommend running one of those Live CD linux's.. last time i checked you can't get a live debian (sorry for the poor terminology). because you may accidentally override all your files if you install another OS, whereas if you run a Live one, it won't.

Sandchairs

Shoopin Da Woop
HSC
try safe booting... u can ususally remove a password from the admin menu
safe boot = sometime during the boot u press F8 or F10 i cant remember
then pick safe boot with networking so u can google shit
then ill go to the login screen.. theres an admin account which is there
off memory no password but if there is one its admin, administrator ect....
then u log in as them
u have admin privligaes and so can remove ur other accounts passwords
then reboot and ur away

NovaAesa

HSC
You lost the Admin password? If Vista is as secure as any good OS should be, then you can say goodbye to your files. Of course, Vista is sure not to be as secure as it probably should be. Sooo, there should be a way to break in. Good luck with that.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
NovaAesa said:
You lost the Admin password? If Vista is as secure as any good OS should be, then you can say goodbye to your files. Of course, Vista is sure not to be as secure as it probably should be. Sooo, there should be a way to break in. Good luck with that.
I thought only Vista Ultimate has an option to encrypt files on your hard drive? So unless you are using ultimate and have that option turned on, you can still access your files, with a working operating system.

peterjackson

HSC
found a way yet? if not find a way into command prompt and type:
net user usernamehere* (asterix included dont type this lol)
then you just type a new password
all good :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)