Low Mathematics Mark & Scaling? (1 Viewer)

OzE Hindu

I made use of SAM (this ain't a SAM-related Question) and put down the following (aligned) marks...

Mathematics (2U)

English (Adv.)

English Ext.1

Business Studies

IPT

Modern History

I am curious to know how my Maths would scale. I am getting traumatic marks in Maths and I go to a Selective School, one of the lower-ranked ones. If I got a raw mark in Maths between 20-30, what would that roughly be scaled up (or down) to?:confused:

Last edited:

OzE Hindu

I also talked to my Maths teacher and he showed me some marks of students from a few years back. There was some guys on the list who had an assessment mark of 30-40, and an HSC exam mark of 60-70 and ended up with an overall mark of 60s-70s.

Also, there was one guy who had an assessment mark of 30 and he got an HSC mark of 50-60 and wound up with an overall mark in the 50s.

Maths is my only bad subject and I'm hoping that the success of other students in my cohort can bail me out and get me a scaled-up mark for Maths that is above 50.

suz

HSC
Really don't know but on another note two of my friends last year never passed an assessment and one ended up getting in the 60's and the other in the 70's Hsc mark wise, dont know how that relates but maybe your school has a high standard (being selective)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The vast majority of HSC marks are within the 50 - 100 range.

You'll most likely only get a Mathematics mark below 50 if you're in the bottom 5% of the state.

acidicFury

I know of some incredibly stupid/lazy people who ended up with 50s and 60s for their HSC marks when there is no way they would have come anywhere near passing exams.

I got the impression if a student makes an effort in the exam, they'll end up with a mark > 50.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by acidicFury
I got the impression if a student makes an effort in the exam, they'll end up with a mark > 50.
We think that this is pretty much correct.

OzE Hindu

Originally posted by Lazarus
We think that this is pretty much correct.
Agreed, but would I need to get a mark above 50 in the HSC exam? Do I still have a chance of getting an overall mark above 50 if I get below 50 in the HSC exam, but the mark is still an improvement compared to my assessments?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by OzE Hindu
but would I need to get a mark above 50 in the HSC exam?
No - this was the point of the previous discussion. We believe that students who make any effort in the exam (i.e. meet the 'minimum standard', which could correspond to a mark of 1 or to a mark of 30, no-one knows) will receive a final aligned mark of 50 or greater. I am confident in saying that for most courses the raw mark required for a Band 2 (or above) performance will be less than 50%.

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
I looked at the HSC 2003 Answers for the paper. I wrote the majority of my answers on the Question booklet and marked them according to the HSC marking scale

I scored approx 55-65% and recieved an HSC exam mark of 79. Therefore aim for a pass, youd be approx around 75-80 depending on your years candidature

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Originally posted by speersy
so if you get 80% of the questions right do you not necessarily get a HSC exam mark of 80%????
Depending on candiditure and how they scale the raw marks compared to HSC marks...

As a general rule of thumb, 80% is around Band 6 (90+). This is based on the last few years from past studnets estimating their mark after the answers have been realsed

OzE Hindu

Originally posted by Lazarus
No - this was the point of the previous discussion. We believe that students who make any effort in the exam (i.e. meet the 'minimum standard', which could correspond to a mark of 1 or to a mark of 30, no-one knows) will receive a final aligned mark of 50 or greater. I am confident in saying that for most courses the raw mark required for a Band 2 (or above) performance will be less than 50%.
Not bad, so I will hopefully pass.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)