Macquarie University Reputation (1 Viewer)

ganj3

HSC
I was just wondering what kind of reputation does Macquarie have? Do year 12 leavers see this uni as one of the better ones in Sydney or is Macquarie kind of looked down upon?

Here in Perth, University of WA is seen as the best uni in Perth and getting into other unis in Perth such as Curtin is seen as no big deal. In my opinion all the other unis in Perth are shit besides UWA and I just want to see how people in NSW view Macquarie as??

danielvh

HSC
Why are you thinking of Macquarie if you're aiming for a TER of 99+. You could get into anywhere with that. If you're wanting to go interstate I'd be thinking USyd/UNSW/ANU/UMelb.

And on the Perth uni front: I go to UWA (Economics and Commerce) and it's decent. Nothing special though. I wouldn't say that Curtin is much behind UWA though, particularly for commerce/economics (I can't really talk about other areas). Although, I'd still choose UWA every time.

What course are you going to be applying for?

By the way, what difference does it make what year 12 leavers think about unis? All that matters really is the quality of education and employers' opinions (and fit for you of course. No point going interstate if you're not going to be happy living away from home).

Che08

HSC
danielvh said:
By the way, what difference does it make what year 12 leavers think about unis? All that matters really is the quality of education and employers' opinions (and fit for you of course. No point going interstate if you're not going to be happy living away from home).
yeah agreed.

Evilo

HSC
UWS < MAC & UTS < UNSW & USYD (out of the syd uni's)

but it all depends what you're studying.

i.e. U-Syd earth sciences is shit, and MAC's is much stronger. (example applied to me lol, but i ended up going to ANU.)

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
It all depends on what degree you want to do. UNSW is better at some things, like Business and Engineering, Sydney is awesome at the Humanities, so it all depends. If you're confident of getting over a 99, go to UNSW or USyd, because they are really the best unis over here.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I'll be frank, no one really gives a fuck, and those that do are either in a field which is highly competitive and such things as prestige are worth a damn or just inane idiots who are clinging to justifications of their choice (or lack thereof) of unis.

MQ is horrible at some things, and great at others, just like every other uni in NSW/Australia. We don't have anything like the institutions overseas (namely Europe/America) and so its all pretty lulz if you're thinking of it in that case.

Put down what you might want to do and perhaps we can get a be bit more help to you in justifying your thoughts.

Trajan

HSC
This is how it is:

UNSW, Usyd

then Macq

then UTS

then the rest.

aileenli

HSC
hey hey!

Club Macq is a uni unlike any other! its like a big family - super easy to get in, very hard to leave!

EDIT: very, very hard to leave :(

EDIT EDIT: we also have ducks!

Last edited:

ganj3

HSC
Yeh i was thinking of doing actuarial studies

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
UNSW / USYD
MQ / UTS
Etc
More lyke:
Göttingen, Tübingen, Heidelberg, Chicago,
Oxbridge
ANU
USyd
UNSW if you like the "urban Algerian" feel
MQ
UTS
Etc.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Trajan said:
Do you put Macq ahead of UTS?

I do, only slightly though.
Are you retarded or just unable to read?

AsyLum said:
I'll be frank, no one really gives a fuck, and those that do are either in a field which is highly competitive and such things as prestige are worth a damn or just inane idiots who are clinging to justifications of their choice (or lack thereof) of unis.

MQ is horrible at some things, and great at others, just like every other uni in NSW/Australia. We don't have anything like the institutions overseas (namely Europe/America) and so its all pretty lulz if you're thinking of it in that case.

Put down what you might want to do and perhaps we can get a be bit more help to you in justifying your thoughts.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
I think Macquarie's a decent uni and during interviews and drinks with collegues and such... I have no problem saying I did my combined degree there, quite a few I've spoken to say they've gone there too.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
UWS < MAC & UTS < UNSW & USYD (out of the syd uni's)

but it all depends what you're studying.

i.e. U-Syd earth sciences is shit, and MAC's is much stronger. (example applied to me lol, but i ended up going to ANU.)
I find usyd geology fine. Im not sure what you have experienced, but I have experienced it at UNSW also, and i'd say they are similar.

Monstar

HSC
aileenli said:
hey hey!

Club Macq is a uni unlike any other! its like a big family - super easy to get in, very hard to leave!

EDIT: very, very hard to leave :(

EDIT EDIT: we also have ducks!

She means that in the worse way possible... i've looked at my friends first year accounting work compared to mine. Basically, i really think the reputation doesn't live up to the standards they set..

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)