maintaining a balance assessment (1 Viewer)

Qudans

HSC
Hi there, ive been given an assessment task to create two experiments from an experiment that i did earlier during the week.the experiment was the effect of substrate concentration on the action of an enzyme. using the experiment as a model, i have to write the aim and method for two experiments to test the effect of:increased temperature and change in pHon the enzyme peroxidase and the substrate hydrogen peroxide.can anyone help me with this? as i am not quite sure how to do it.

sam5

HSC
Hi there, ive been given an assessment task to create two experiments from an experiment that i did earlier during the week.the experiment was the effect of substrate concentration on the action of an enzyme. using the experiment as a model, i have to write the aim and method for two experiments to test the effect of:increased temperature and change in pHon the enzyme peroxidase and the substrate hydrogen peroxide.can anyone help me with this? as i am not quite sure how to do it.
In this experiment u r testing three variables (pH, temp and substrate concentration). You cant test three independent variables with two experiments. You need to do three experiments to test all those variables. e.g. for the pH experiment. Set up 8 test tubes. Add an equal amount of substrate and enzyme to every tube. Then add an equal amount of an acidic or basic solution of different pH's to every tube, so that one tube has a pH of 2, one with 3, one with 4....up till 9 or whatever. Keep the tubes at the same temp for the same time period. At the end, note the level of enzymatic action on the substrate, and then make conclusions based on what was the optimum pH to catalase that substrate. You would then do two more; one with a varying temperature (everything else is kept equal) and one with a varying substrate level.

Moeyzz

HSC
Thankz sam5, thats what i needd, thankz mate

sam5

HSC
Could the pH solution be HCL?
ummm. Yeah, i suppose.

For pH of 1 and 2 i would use HCl of different concentrations.

For a pH of 3, 4, 5 and 6, u would use a weak acid (not sure if u chemistry lol) such as carbonic or acetic acid of different concentrations.

For the basic pH values, you could use sodium carbonate solution of different concentration values for pH of 8, 9, 10 and maybe 11. For pH greater than about 10 or 11, use sodium hydroxide of different concentration values.

For the temperature experiment, set up tubes in incubatiors or fridges at certain temperatures.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)