Major/Elective Problem for B of Info Tech @ UWS? (1 Viewer)

nismo_s15

HSC
N/A
Hey Everyone

I got an offer from UWS for Bachelor of Information Technology in the main round.

I accepted the offer and have searched the UWS online handbook to decide which major and electives to choose, but unlike other courses listed it does not include the subjects within each major.

I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on how to find more information on the subjects of each major.

Bachelor of Information Technology

UWS Course Code: 3508.1

Course Status: CURRENT
This course version is offered in 2005.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This program is designed for students seeking employment in the information technology industry. It provides a good grounding in the major areas of IT, such as analysis and design, programming, database and networking. The course covers operational and theoretical aspects of information technologies and has a rich choice of electives to cater for individual needs. This course is part of a well-established and successful program in information technology, having links with the CSIRO, Parkes Radio Telescope and the IT industry. The courses are delivered by academic staff involved in leading-edge research into web engineering, design of hypermedia systems, intelligent agents, neural networks and software engineering.

Study Mode
Full-time normally over three years by way of face-to-face lectures, tutorials and laboratory sessions.

Head of ProgramName Email
Tony Pollard t.pollard@uws.edu.au

Campbelltown Campus Full Time Internal Mark James Johnston
Singapore Part Time Internal Mark James Johnston
Singapore Full Time Internal Mark James Johnston

Admission

Assumed knowledge: NSW HSC Mathematics or equivalent.

Course Structure

Qualification for this award requires the successful completion of 240 credit points which include the units listed in the recommended sequence below.

Recommended Sequence

Full-time

Year 1

Autumn session

200025.1 Discrete Mathematics
300155.1 Programming Principles 1
100483.1 Principles of Professional Communication 1
300114.1 Digital and Analog Fundamentals

Spring session

300156.1 Programming Principles 2
300131.1 Introduction to Analysis and Design
200192.1 Statistics for Science

And one elective

Year 2

Autumn session

300144.1 Object Oriented Analysis
300167.1 Systems Programming 1
300129.1 Interactive Web Site Development

And one elective

Spring session

300104.1 Database Design and Development
300149.1 Operating Systems
300086.1 Applied Data Communications and Networking

And one elective

Year 3

Autumn session

300117.1 Enterprise Database
300095.1 Computer Networks and Internets
300097.1 Computing Project 1

And one elective

Spring session

Four electives

Majors available:

Business Information Systems

Computer Systems

Computing Studies

Data Communications

E-Business

Formal Software Engineering

Networking

Software Development

Systems Analysis and Design

Systems Programming

Web Development
Link:
http://handbook.uws.edu.au/hbook/course.asp?course=3508.1

Thanks in advance :)

Jay

andyk

HSC
N/A
nismo:

The course structure given are all your Core subjects. Rather than a Major, you have a Key Program of study, which means the degree and the major are one, so your degree title upon graduation will simply be B Information Technology. Basically, your major is set out for you.

However the course structure also gives you 8 electives in total. You may select from across UWS any elective. If you would like to complete a second major, it would be with these electives -- most other majors require you to do about 8 subjects. Some areas only provide sub-majors. Otherwise, you may simply want to do more electives from other IT or computing to extend your knowledge.

I'm not sure whether or not you may choose only those majors listed.

Majors and sub-majors are listed in their relevant course areas - the more specific courses. For example, to find E-Business major sequences, look at B Computing. Some courses don't provide a major sequence for students outside their course to do, though you may still do their subjects as electives.

Your Course Advisor/Head of Program, when you meet him/her, can help you. But since I also have my handbook next to me right now, I'll give it a flip.

Look under B Computer Science for: Formal Software Engineering; Networking; Systems Programming.
Look under B Computing for: Business Information Systems; E-Business; Software Development; Systems Programming.
Look at B Business (e-Business) for e-Business sub-majors.

That's all I can find so far, hope it's helpful enough. Best to check with your advisor during enrolment.

-andy

nismo_s15

HSC
N/A
Thanks Natstar and Andyk :)

Greatly appreciate the help! :uhhuh:

Jay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)