Major in Econometrics, Economics or Financial Economics? (1 Viewer)

Deathless

HSC
Hey,

Please post only if you're confident in what you're saying.

What is more 'useful' to learn out of the three? Also would any of them improve 'employability' especially for the finance sector? I've searched on Google, and from American opinions it seems that Economics and Finance major doesn't make much difference in employability for finance - but I'm not sure if that applies in Australia as well. From the three, can anyone explain a bit about how interesting they are and what's more practical?

I'm doing stats now and i find it boring but sorta useful. I don't want to do some course that is dull the whole way through the semester but i also don't want to do something that's just theoretical (some parts of economics).

Thanks

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The thing with economics is as you progress through it, it becomes more theory-based and less real-world. You'll become very good at stats and number crunching with the various theories and formula, but whether or not it'll be useful in finance is questionable. From speaking and listening to various economists (e.g. ANZ CEO is an economist) the mindset and attitudes you develop whilst studying economics are more useful than the actual theory that you're learning.

What kind of role do you want to get into with regards to finance? No doubt economics will be useful when analysing companies and so forth, but to focus all of your studies on it may not necessarily improve your chances of landing an IB or trading role.

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
do Econometrics and Economics if you wish to become an economist in academia. otherwise do economics and fiance if you're looking to become gordon gecko

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
lol im looking to transfer to a combined commerce/eco and was gonna ask the exact same question.

still unsure and have to submit my application by the 17th

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)