Majoring in Psychology? (1 Viewer)

Emperor Lobster

HSC
Can you use a Bachelor of Arts with a major in psychology to pursue a career in psychology or do you have to do BPsych? Is anyone here doing that (BArts with psych major)? Which uni? What HSC subjects did you do, and how did you do in them?

Emperor Lobster

HSC
Ah, cheers! A second question - how hard is it to do honours in this major? How many people are allowed to, usually?

spence

HSC
I think honours is pretty competitive. I think for USyd you need a distinction average for 2nd and 3rd year psyc

apologue

HSC
Hi. A straight BA with a major in psychology is basically the same deal, but if you're turned off by the science electives in the BPsych, you might want to take a look at the BA (Psych) that a few unis offer. There aren't any HSC subjects that relate directly to psychology, so I'd take whatever you like. I didn't do maths or science and I haven't had any problems.

At usyd there are 85 to 90 honours places, but most are taken up by the BPsych students (45 of them) and BA (Psych) students (25 of them). You'll definitely need over 70 and probably a distinction average in your 2nd and 3rd year.

fat_penguin

HSC
You may want to consider though, that if you want to become a psychologist, doing psych through arts isn't the best idea (at UNSW anyway). I don't know about other unis, but at UNSW, I'm pretty sure you can't do psych honours through an arts degree. You don't have to do B.Psych though - if you do psych through a science degree, you can do honours but you'll have to maintain a higher average.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
I'm doing a BA majoring in psych and plan to do honours (Minimum GPA of 5 required at UWS) and post grad to be able to practice clinically. So you can do a BA (psych) at UWS and Mac to my knowledge and apply for honours (keeping in mind it is very competitive). I think UNCLE discontinued their BA and BSc psych programs and just have BPsych now.

The good thing with a BA is that you can combine your studies in psych with other areas of interest, like I'm doing with sociology.

morganjane

HSC
Any other suggestions about anything to combine a B Arts (Psych) with? is it advised to add another major when studying psych?

spence

HSC
morganjane said:
Any other suggestions about anything to combine a B Arts (Psych) with? is it advised to add another major when studying psych?
for most unis i think you need another major if you're doing a BA. it wouldn't really matter what you do, just pick something you're interested in. i think philosophy and sociology are fairly commonly combined with psyc. i'll probably be combining psyc with either ancient history or political economy

chyeah

HSC
At Mac, there is the BPsych, BA-Psych and B Science-Psych.

They are all the same degrees, up until the end of 3rd year. Where, the BPsych continues on the 4th year (if you have got a credit average). You can transfer into the 4th year if you have a credit average if you were doing BA-Psych and BSci-Psych.

So, really everyone is in together. But it's very competitive. There is no predetermined number that get into 4th year. If you get a credit average, in all psych subjects + statistics, you will get in.

mr_robato

HSC
Just some advise, no discouragement intended:

1. Psychology is an unconventional field hence you'll need to get what ever experience to survive in this field, this is simply because experience matters a whole lot more. My English tutor works at a "community center" where those born with the "downesyndrome" (no idea about spelling) attend for whatever treatment. It's very hands on work, but you need it. (note: they won't hire you straight away, after a month's volunteer work, maybe a little bit more, they WILL hire you, oh and good news: IT'S GOOD MONEY! like $25 an hour is the BARE MINIMUM)...so your good for the long run in terms of money (now leading into my second point).

2. BA aint the most amazing degree. However not weightless. Do well at it and you will do well in your career, make dam sure it's what you want because you will (most probably) need further study (probably masters, unlike the asian studies major you can combine law).

Robato

Ben1220

HSC
It probably depends on the University. You can major in Psychology with a BA or a BSc at Melbourne Uni.
You need to do honours in order to be fully registered as a psychologist though I think. I'm not sure about other unis.

jonspeaks22

HSC
From my experience, different unis offer different programs. grad schools know this and take whatever.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
at mac, if you major in psych in the BA degree, do u have to do units from other areas too? or can you just do ur psychology units?
how about if u combine it with another degree (eg. B commerce)

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
at mac, if you major in psych in the BA degree, do u have to do units from other areas too? or can you just do ur psychology units?
how about if u combine it with another degree (eg. B commerce)
If u doing BA degree with psych then u have to do BA unit same with BS with science unit. Btw Im doing Bs with psychology major =]]

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Hi

to be registed with the APA
- 4 years of undergrad study (i.e. 3 years + 1 year honours)
- 2 years postgrad study
- i think it was 2-3 years of practice before getting into the APA??

i major in psych. its not too hard if you put some effort in. i do it through arts. But yes you will need to transfer after 3rd year into honours which is required if you want to be registered (no matter the uni in australia)

spence

HSC

to be registed with the APA
- 4 years of undergrad study (i.e. 3 years + 1 year honours)
- 2 years postgrad study
- i think it was 2-3 years of practice before getting into the APA??

i major in psych. its not too hard if you put some effort in. i do it through arts. But yes you will need to transfer after 3rd year into honours which is required if you want to be registered (no matter the uni in australia)
I'm assuming you mean APS? (APA is American)
But to be a full member of the APS you just need the six year sequence (ie. 4 years undergrad + 2 postgrad), or to be an associate member you just need the 4 year undergrad.
And while in most cases you need honours, there are alternatives, eg. graduate diplomas.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad

Registration as a PsychologistIn order to become a member of the professional body, the Australian Psychological Society (APS), and for registration as a psychologist in New South Wales, students first need a university bachelor degree which includes four years of approved training in psychology. The BPsychol degree provides four years of approved training in psychology. Students must also follow this by completing an accredited 5th and 6th year academic degree such as one of the Master of Psychology Degrees (Clinical, Forensic, Organisational) or a combined Doctor of Philosophy/Master of Psychology Degree as offered by this University. An alternative of two years of supervised experience in professional practice may be undertaken for registration as a psychologist in NSW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)