making my own formal dress (1 Viewer)

evil_kitten

HSC
I'm in yr 12 this year and I've decided to make my own formal dress. I'm just sick of all the plain old ones that everyone wears.

Does anyone think I'm mad like some of my friends do? Is anyone else doing this? and has anyone done this and how successful was it?

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
i'm making my own too. i'm really fussy and i love sewing so it works for me. also cheaper in general, you can make yourself a really pretty dress for 10% of the price you'd buy it for in shop, sometimes even less.

i did d&t last year and made myself some dresses, my best advice is to find pictures of dresses with aspects that you like, and adapt them into your dress design. it's all the good things about the dresses rolled into one. also, make sure you find good quality material. nothing worse than getting cheap stuff and it falling apart.

HSC
I made my Year 11 formal dress, and my mum made the ones I wore in Year 10 and 12.

We just worked off the patterns that you buy from Spotlight, I think I wore two Jessica McClintock patterns and a Burda one. You can get quite simple patterns if you are inexperienced.

Its definitely worth it - much cheaper, and no one is going to have the same dress as you.

evil_kitten

HSC
yeah, i made my yr 11 dress up one =D
and i make all my costumes lol
i do textiles and just got a $1700 sewing machine =D
i'm thinking of using the corset i made as part of my major work and doing something with that
and yeah, i cant stand cheap fabric. it hurts my eyes

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
of course make your dress if you're that talented!!

i (L) my sewing machine =D. haha. starting up a business making tutus and stuff when i finish my hsc =].

yeah that sounds cool. post up pics or something if you ever need advice/help =]],

lychnobity

HSC
I'm in yr 12 this year and I've decided to make my own formal dress. I'm just sick of all the plain old ones that everyone wears.

Does anyone think I'm mad like some of my friends do? Is anyone else doing this? and has anyone done this and how successful was it?
No, I don't think you're mad at all. I know lots of girls that make their own dresses or get theirs made by tailors.

How do I know all this? The aforementioned females (and their boyfriends) are my customers.

The disasters are when the girls have no idea of sewing, pattern making and the female form. Fabric selection and how certain fabrics work (ie stretch, movement, weight) are usually the causes of their downfall. Also, girls that can't measure/do basic maths are screwed. Picking the appropriate thread, lining and learning to cut straight (work with the thread of the fabric) are important.

Generally, a formal dress should be made using (stretch is usually better, or the ones that cost at least $10/m, the ones that retail for $2-5/m are cheap, China made ones, and don't look good for evening wear at all) satins, silk charmeuse, organza and chiffons. Don't touch silk.

If you want some "netting/mesh" like fabrics, ask for soft tulle (rhymes with bull). It should feel like a very delicate netting with very small holes, pin-like, its texture is very smooth - like what you would use for those bed curtain things. Should cost at least $5/m - any Asians asking for more, or something heaps harder (resistant to bending) are ripping you off.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
that is awesome! very impressive. were you thinking of having a fuller skirt with it? atm i love tight tops and full skirts, just think they look amazing. - [at the corset].

is that your started formal dress? or textiles?

evil_kitten

HSC
that is awesome! very impressive. were you thinking of having a fuller skirt with it? atm i love tight tops and full skirts, just think they look amazing. - [at the corset].

is that your started formal dress? or textiles?
yeah, my ass is too big for a flowing skirt lol
thats my major work ~ a juliet costume
i'm dyeing it soon

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
yeah, my ass is too big for a flowing skirt lol
thats my major work ~ a juliet costume
i'm dyeing it soon
haha, i can wear either, but i prefer to wear a layered one, enhances the self esteem haha.

ahh yeah, that's awesome. what colour? what are you adorning it with? when's it due?

evil_kitten

HSC
haha, i can wear either, but i prefer to wear a layered one, enhances the self esteem haha.

ahh yeah, that's awesome. what colour? what are you adorning it with? when's it due?
true lol layered is good!
its red and i'm dip dyeing it purple
its also got some hectic medieval sleeves lol
its due the monday after next, so i'm pretty crazy busy till then
regretting the late start very much..

Imagery

HSC
You're an idiopt, just buy one.

What, are you fucking cheap?

evil_kitten

HSC

its not that i'm cheap, its just i dont want one of those typical ones that everyone wears.
i want something that fits perfectly and is very 'me'

Libby01P

Banned
HSC
Wow, you guys all sound like pros; I want to make my own formal dress too, but I have very little experience! I'm thinking of just modifying my yr 10 formal dress, but do you think i should just start from scratch? also, I think it's a good idea; it's not about cheapness, it's about making it special and unique for yourself, plus a great hobby/ distraction when you need a break from study.

evil_kitten

HSC
Wow, you guys all sound like pros; I want to make my own formal dress too, but I have very little experience! I'm thinking of just modifying my yr 10 formal dress, but do you think i should just start from scratch? also, I think it's a good idea; it's not about cheapness, it's about making it special and unique for yourself, plus a great hobby/ distraction when you need a break from study.
i dunno, i think if you dont really have experience starting from scratch would be heaps difficult.
buying a plain dress, or using one that you already have, and just modifying it would be the better choice =)

Lukybear

HSC

stfu you jealous piece of...

Just cause the girl's got skills and a imagination.

Btw to OP: your dress looks awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)