HSCExposed

HSC
Alright guys so I've been making my notes:

Maths: Written, chapter summaries
Biology: Written
Physics: Haven't started
Business: Haven't started
English: Nothing

What should I do for Business and Physics? I don't have much time for them. For business I thought that I'd start writing but the thing is that it's too long and all I'm doing is copying textbook definitions, etc. Is it better that I get two sets of high quality notes e.g. ROT and Drifiting95 and then compile them up together? Or should I just start writing it my own?

For Physics, I haven't started but I have some good quality notes. Should I do the same thing and compile them like business or write my own notes?

How have you guys done your notes?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
What do you mean by chapter summaries for Maths?

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
As many would say here, there's no universally accepted way of creating notes. It's through experimentation that you figure out what works best for you. But as a general guide, you use the syllabus dot points pertaining to the verb since, at the end of the day, that's where the exam will test your knowledge from. Specifically, I do:

Maths: don't make notes (who actually does lol)
English: annotate my prescribed and related texts, build up backup textual evidence in case my generic essay doesn't fit the question
Sciences: use the syllabus, construct my notes in dot point form, have lots of headings and diagrams
Eco: don't make notes as well, just practice MC, SA and essays (haven't done this part, should get to it soon LOL)
Modern: just know how to do source analysis which is a skill, understand the key issues for your national and international study and rote a few historian quotes for your personality

klee98

HSC

For Physics, I haven't started but I have some good quality notes. Should I do the same thing and compile them like business or write my own notes?

For maths, its better to do the exercises than to write down summaries of the chapter.
For physics, follow the dot points and start doing some past questions
If you feel confident enough start sinking into past trials, notes can only get you so far

HSCExposed

HSC
As many would say here, there's no universally accepted way of creating notes. It's through experimentation that you figure out what works best for you. But as a general guide, you use the syllabus dot points pertaining to the verb since, at the end of the day, that's where the exam will test your knowledge from. Specifically, I do:

Maths: don't make notes (who actually does lol)
English: annotate my prescribed and related texts, build up backup textual evidence in case my generic essay doesn't fit the question
Sciences: use the syllabus, construct my notes in dot point form, have lots of headings and diagrams
Eco: don't make notes as well, just practice MC, SA and essays (haven't done this part, should get to it soon LOL)
Modern: just know how to do source analysis which is a skill, understand the key issues for your national and international study and rote a few historian quotes for your personality
Hey I was planning to pick up Modern as I enjoyed it during prelim. Would you recommend it? Or is there heaps of things to memorise?

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Hey I was planning to pick up Modern as I enjoyed it during prelim. Would you recommend it? Or is there heaps of things to memorise?
I'm confused... are you saying that you did Modern in prelim but you dropped it in year 12?

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
I think you can, given that you've done prelim. It does require lots of memorisation, but the key thing is being able to have a solid argument in your essay. There's only so much regurgitating facts can do when knowing the main issues is more important.

astab

HSC
N/A
It's better to type your notes because it is more efficient and you can colour code them to boost memory retention.

Have you read any texts for advanced English? If you haven't done much for English it's fine, but reading expands your vocabulary and your brain adjusts to automatically emulate the style, tone and voice of the text you are reading (it's called neuroplasticity). That is, your writing style will improve if you read and this will augment your style, elegance and expression when you write essays and creatives.

I'll see if I can get some notes for physics and business and send them to you!

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
^
not for maths or subjects that require lots of diagrams.
I colour code my notes as well as my notebooks by putting colour stickers on them or using coloured pen; and do similar when typing e.g. english was green, chemistry blue, physics purple, japanese pink and maths was red.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad

Biology: Written
Physics: Haven't started
Business: Haven't started
English: Nothing

What should I do for Business and Physics? I don't have much time for them. For business I thought that I'd start writing but the thing is that it's too long and all I'm doing is copying textbook definitions, etc. Is it better that I get two sets of high quality notes e.g. ROT and Drifiting95 and then compile them up together? Or should I just start writing it my own?

Physics you can type pretty easily, diagrams are a challenge. I would recommend getting a .pdf textbook and snipping tool out the diagrams needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)