Making the right choice (1 Viewer)

Iccehy

HSC
Omg in so stuck! Hi I'm in yr 10 and choosing my subjects. I still need one more subject to choose and have no idea!
So far I got ancient history, biology, food technology, mathematics and english standard. Right now with only these subjects, the work load is fairly reasonable. But then I'm considering chemistry, a useful subject. And information process technology, not because I like it but coz my dad is a programmer and wants me to do that. And also business studies is useful.

I heard from my teacher that chemistry has a heavy based content and requires to be on top of work all the time. I'm the kind of person who doesn't like memorizing huge chunks of info, so biology, I think is enough for me.
For IPT I have no idea what it is. I didn't do it in yr 9 & 10 so I have no basic knowledge.
For business studies, it's useful, but I'm not sure i like it

What should I do??
Thanks

spatula232

HSC
I'm kinda in the same boat. Not really sure what other subject i want to do. Then the last subject will be my 12th unit. Everyone says do what interests you, because that way you will be inclined to study. So you're interested in chemistry, but think its too hard. IPT, cause your dad wants you to do it (you seem as though your not really interested). And Business. Are you interested in it? Apparently its not a large content based subject, so the workload shouldn't be too hard (business that is :p). Do you do commerce now? If so, ask your teacher. Talk to the KLAs or co-ordinators for the subjects, or even your class teachers (they know your work the best :smile:). The best way is to see what interests you the most. What do you think you will enjoy the most? If you are interested in chemistry, talk to your science teacher (see if they think you can handle it etc.). Personally, from what you said, your dad wants you to do IPT but you're not really interested. If that's the case, don't bother.

So talk to teachers at school and see what they say, or just pick what your most interested in.

Iccehy

HSC
Well for buisness studies I'm not sure what its like. I dont do commerce so Is it essential to have commere as basic knowledge? Do we need to remember a lot terms and concepts?
And for IPT I'm a bit interested, but still a bit concerned if its not what I expect. Also chemistry, is very heavy content based subject, so doing biology with chemistry may be a really heavy workload. It would help if I know what I want to be in the future b tu I don't.

SuperMike96

HSC
Business studies has a very large amount of content. It is similar to that of biology (apparently, I don't actually do biology). Generally the humanities (Anc + Modern history, business studies, legal studies etc) have high amounts of content but aren't too hard to grasp. On the otherhand, the sciences (excluding biology) are generally harder to grasp but only average amounts of content. To do business studies you will not need yr9+10 commerce.

I know this advice is given to everyone, but you must pick what you think you will be interested in. If you aren't into IPT, don't do it. Don't worry too much about workload because if you enjoy it, it shouldn't be a burden. Also, if you don't enjoy it you can always drop at the end of year 11.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Do what you really enjoy! Some of my friends do bio/chem and really enjoy it. Sciences tend to complement each other well, so you might find it useful to do bio/chem.

Don't feel pressured into doing subjects. My mum really wanted me to do chemistry instead of physics because she thought 'it was too hard for me' but I preferred physics and I don't regret my choice (to an extent, lol).

goldish

HSC
do you like science? chemistry is a fun subject but you have to make sure that you are up to date with your notes and and make sure that you always do sample quizzes given to you. as to business, my friends says that it has a lot of content but if you really pay attention, you'll understand it and you'll be alright. IPT, they have cool assessment tasks (ei, design a game and stuff haha) :) good luck!

study1234

HSC
It all depends on your personal interests and ATAR aim. Don't do/not do a subject because it's easy/hard, do it because you like it or because you need it for your future goals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)