malaria timeline (1 Viewer)

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
hey all! just wondering - i've heard that there's been a new discovery in the treatment of malaria just recently (something to do with a realy cheap herbal remedy???). anyway, before i go looking up info on it, i was wondering whether it's too recent to include in the dot point that requires you to learn the history of malaria? i mean, its a new discovery, but they dont know how effectiv eit will be in the long term - so what do you think? include or too recent?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
they probably wont expect you to know it, but you can always insert it as a demonstration of how knowledgable. they only expect the major events, like quinine and that.

roseangel

Take the Money and Run
HSC
A very basic timeline would be:

Development of our understanding of malaria:
*18 BC The disease malaria was described by the Romans. Malaria was thought to come from swamps so the name means ‘bad air’
* 1820 Quinine used to prevent the disease
* 1880 Charles Laveran, a French army doctor observed the malarial parasite in the blood
* 1886 Golgi observed asexual reproduction in the protozoan Plasmodium and identified two species
*1898 Giovanni Grassi named the Anopheles mosquito as the carrier of the malarial parasite
* 1897 Ronald Ross discovered that Plasmodium was the protozoan that caused the disease malaria.
* 1898 Ross described complete lifecycle of the malaria parasite
* Early 1900s Chemical structure of quinine was determined
* 1940 Chloroquine the first synthetic anti-malarial drug was used
* 1940s Shown that patients with sickle-cell anaemia are more resistant to malaria because the parasite cannot live in their sickle shaped red blood cells

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)