MAQ or USYD for Arts degree - all things considered (1 Viewer)

Existential

HSC
N/A
MAQ wins on transport, and probably the social side of things.

USYD wins on academia although I wouldnt talk MAQ down on that.

My main question is - does it REALLY matter which one of these two I do arts at? Will it affect my employability greatly?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
umm you're going to do arts, employability is shit everywhere

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'd argue that UNSW/USyd would beat MQ in terms of social side of things.

Last edited:

Existential

HSC
N/A
I'm listening, the problem is its the same people commenting - not that I don't appreciate your input.

I have preferenced Sydney infront on MAQ in some regards so I wouldnt consider myself totally leaning to one over the other. I just really prefer the transport to MAQ over USYD.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Social stuff is pretty subjective. I personally think MQ wins in this area - but again that comes down to what you want to take away from the whole experience.

But yeah I agree with the above. You seem pretty set on MQ so just go for it. You won't regret it.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
if ur close to macq, then go there. even if its "worse", it's not gonna be that much of a difference and definitely not worth the extra travel.
if they have the major/subjects you want to do, then there'll be virtually no difference, and the social side should be pretty much the same.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
How is it "worse"? Please elaborate.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
To clarify - I think that given the time difference (particularly an hour), you should stay in Macquarie - but perhaps consider other options as well. :) [Sorry if I sounded harsh, I didn't mean to be]

Existential

HSC
N/A
To clarify - I think that given the time difference (particularly an hour), you should stay in Macquarie - but perhaps consider other options as well. :) [Sorry if I sounded harsh, I didn't mean to be]
That's okay. For the record I have preference by ATAR, so Sydney combined law is first, then MAQ combined law, then the next preferences is what I'm aksing about. Not much difference between the two in the area of Arts?

I've check and Maq is around a bit over an hour total travel, while Sydney can be up to 10 OR MORE (probably more) minutes more travel time.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
10 more minutes? That's nothing.

I was under the impression that it was an extra hour.

tambam

HSC
That's okay. For the record I have preference by ATAR, so Sydney combined law is first, then MAQ combined law, then the next preferences is what I'm aksing about. Not much difference between the two in the area of Arts?

I've check and Maq is around a bit over an hour total travel, while Sydney can be up to 10 or more minutes more travel time.
Haha what? From how you were talking in your other threads it sounded like going to macquarie would save hours of your time every day.....

If you actually got the marks for usyd and chose to go to macquarie instead, just to save 10 minutes of travel, that would be extremely foolish.

Existential

HSC
N/A
If you actually got the marks for usyd and chose to go to macquarie instead, just to save 10 minutes of travel, that would be extremely foolish.
I never said I would do that. Actually let me clarify.

There is a 35 mins difference between Epping and Redfern. To get to MAQ I get off at MAQ University Station from Epping and I'm there in 4 mins. So there is at least a 30min difference. This is lowered if you include the 5 or so mins you wait for a train but imo changing trains at Epping is better than a longer train to Redfern in terms of travel fatigue.

So I hope thats a little clearer now.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Where do you live? If you live out Norwest, there's Hillsbuses into the city.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
That's not too bad. Newcastle intercities are quite frequent in and out of the city.

But yeah, I know what you mean.

UNCLE Law may not be a bad decision, you know?

izzy88

HSC
No, I live on the Central Coast :)
have you thought about moving into share accommodation, or applying for college?

The usyd colleges generally have quite a good scholarship program to help with fees if you need it. I expect most colleges would have their applications open now (they tend to close quite early - around mid-october).

Just another option.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
honestly just go to macq, you won't get an inferior job if you go to mac instead of usyd.

Existential

HSC
N/A
University of Newcastle Law.
Why would that be suggested when I have had discussions with people arguing that prestige should be paramount. Seriously, Newcastle would be worse in prestige than Macquarie and worse in travel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)