Mark My Essay (1 Viewer)

crimsonking

HSC
This was an assessment that I did a few weeks ago. Please be honest when marking

Evaluate the effectiveness of legal processes and institutions in protecting consumers.

Consumer law is generally effective in protecting consumers from unscrupulous suppliers, manufacturers and producers. When assessing the effectiveness of consumer law the criteria is resource efficiency, accessibility, protection and recognition of individual rights and equality.

The government has addressed the issue of resource efficiency by providing alternative dispute resolutions for consumers who do not have the financial means to go to court. Arbitration is a less formal, cheaper and quicker way to gain a remedy from a supplier when an event has occurred. Mediation and conciliation has also been provided by governments. Though arbitration, conciliation and mediation are effective in a sense, they are also ineffective as they are not legally binding. Class actions have also been allowed under the 'Federal Court Act 1976 (Cth)'which allows consumers to go to court together and heard as a collective group. The 'GIO case' is an example, where 3000 employees lodged civil action against managers of the company.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
Many consumers are unaware of how to gain a remedy. Accessibility is a problem. The court system is slow and takes a long time to gain a remedy. Facilities such as arbitration, mediation, conciliation, the Fair Trading Tribunal and class actions are all alternative methods in which a consumer can gain a remedy. The State government also provides Legal Aid if a consumer does not have the financial means to lodge a civil case. Though consumers who seek Legal Aid need to pass a means, merit and jurisdictional test. Once again, due to the non-legal and non-binding nature of many of these facilities it can be seen as ineffective, as the opposing party (usually the supplier/manufacturer/producer) does not have to abide by the ruling made by the third party, nor are they obliged to appear. Consumers are generally advised to seek self-help and make informed, educated decisions before entering into a contract or purchasing a product.

The ACCC is primarily responsible for protecting consumer's rights. It is the ACCC's duty to ensure and enforce the 'Trade Practices Act 1974 (Cth)' and the 'Trade Practices Act 1987 (NSW)' which strengthen the consumers position in contracts and also protects consumers from deceptive and misleading advertising. Strengthening of the consumers position can be seen in Donoghue v Stevenson (1932) a case which relates to the merchantable quality and implied terms of both Acts. Grant v Australian Knitting Mills (1936)is another case where the duty of case a manufacturer has was breached, causing a life threatening illness to Grant.<O:p
<O:p
Other pieces of legislation which protect the consumer are the Sale of Goods Act 1923 (NSW)which monitors the sale of goods. The Credit Act 1984 (NSW) also makes provisions for consumers who have entered into a contract.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

The courts also have an important role in protecting individual rights, under the Contracts Review Act 1980 (NSW) if a misrepresentation, undue influence, unconscionability or undue influence has occurred during contract negotiations, the courts have the power to rescind the contract. In Blomley v Ryan (1956)the courts voided the contract (buying property off Ryan) as Blomley took advantage of Ryan who was an uneducated alcoholic, it was voided under unconsiconabilty. Louth v Diprose (1992) is a case where undue influence was forced upon a party, the contract was rescinded.<O:p</O:p

Another area where courts have power to remove contracts is where language and literacy problems occur. Under the Credit At 1984 (NSW) a contract must be written in plain English and the signing party must be able to read and understand English. CBA v Amadio (1983)displays this quite clearly, where Mr and Mrs Amadio entered into a contract, it was voided as both parents had poor English skills.

The courts and ACCC are seen as effective, but due to accessibility issues, it is hard to achieve. Where protection of rights is difficult to achieve is where a supplier is in a self-regulated industry as the governing body is not the State.
</O:p
One of the major problems, where the law is ineffective is in consumer law is in regards to equality.Due to the high disposable income many businesses have, they can afford to hire an experienced legal team as opposed to a consumer who may not be able to afford the legal fees. Though resources such as mediation, conciliation and arbitration exists, the consumer may still have to go to court if the supplier does not abide by the decision. A day in Local Court is estimated to cost $1000 and one day in the Supreme Court (in the case of an appeal) $10 000. Many consumers cannot afford this and usually the claim is less than the fees involved. For example, ACCC v Nissan Motor Company it would of been difficult for a consumer to gain a remedy, as they would of been misled into purchasing the case. A consumer would not have the financial means to obtain a remedy against a transnational corporation such as Nissan.

As it can bee seen, the effectiveness of consumer law varies and protection of rights is not consistent. Through resource efficiency, accessibility, protection and recognition of rights and equality it is recommended that consumers educate themselves when making decisions.
Facts:
* 858 words - too short?
* Written in 45 minutes - not enough considering the time?
* Enough cases/legislation?
* I got 20/20 for it

My sister who did legal last year said that it was worth 15-16/20. I'm at a stage in the HSc where I'm worrying about the whole scaling thing, so i just want to have a few other opinions, so if I could get a mark from you and further suggestions it would be greately appreciated.

crimsonking

HSC
if thats a 15/60 - 20 then my essays must really be worth 7.

I'm a bit slow today...so is what you are saying a good or bad thing?

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Your essay looks pretty good. Since i dont do legal studies (going to next year), i dont know if the content is all coverved. However, i think you answer the question extreamly well and you earned a well deserved 20/20. If your sister think it's a 15/20 material, ask her why? If she cant justify her judgement, therefore her opinion is not valid. Since she did legal studies, she should know that you must be prepare to back up your argument with sufficent evidence!

BTW, do you enjoy legal studies?

Last edited:

crimsonking

HSC
but looks a little too short

I think so too. What is the standard? It's one thing to write an essay at home for an assessment (easily get up to 2000+ words) compared to something under exam conditions.

If your sister think it's a 15/20 material, ask her why?

My sister did legal last year and got 89% in her UAi for it, she also did consumers so she is a good person to get a second opinion from. She said that it is worth 15/20 because:
  • No media documents - SMH, Today Tonight, CHOICE magazine etc (I agree here, but we haven't been taught that in class)
  • Too many 'vs' case law (don't agree with)
  • Too short (fair enough)
  • Not dramatic enough - I think it might be a joke or something, but my sister wants the intro/conclusion to be really dramatic
BTW, do you enjoy legal studies?

Good teacher, wanker students (only 4/18 passed and the rest were aiming for 'passes', why not aim for at least 70%?). I've had to ask my teacher to go faster a lot of times, but I think I am too hard on her. She also does a lot of work for our class outside of school hours (which many don't appreciate). She is also my mentor...erm...I could actually go on for a while and if you want me to do so, just start another thread (thread heading - 'Do you like Legal')- I'll be happy to reply<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Last edited:

crimsonking

HSC
Thanks soulsearcher.

How can I beef it up though?

I'm guessing maybe adding another factor affecting effectiveness would be a safe move, though it would be cost 'thinking time' or I could just add more information to each criteria.

Your comment about getting full marks...the main reason I posted this here is to ask other people if it is a full mark essay. (You know the whole 'if you internal doesn't equal your external blah blah blah...scaling...blah blah blah')

So yeah...more comments would be nice.

raiders771

HSC
some good content in there... but u must remember when evaluating the effectiveness you must talk about the individual and the society and compare the 2... something lacked from this essay aswell your essay seemed to have no flow you simply stated the criteria u used and just gave the info in paragraphs... to be honest this is not worth 20/20 on that basis at our school that would have got 14/20 max.... some pointers make sure your introduction is longer than what you have this is what starts a good essay and what markers are looking for... generally u should begin with a topic sentence of the topic in this case consumers and maybe how it has changed over time, then paraphrase the question and BRIEFLY mention the changes to law over time.. and dont list the criteria...next you should begin with a poaragraph on consumers history and how society has influenced the law to change in relation to consumers... from there begin to implement ur criteria and explain the effectiveness dont simply restate the question..... thats just a few pointers but all in all a good essay with some good content, work on ur structure and you will be ready

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)