Marriage equality (1 Viewer)

StudiousStudent

HSC
And to add to that, we have a separation of Church and State for a reason :)
Exactly. Government policies contradict each other.

The sex discrimination act for example:
The Sex Discrimination Act 1984 (Cth) (the SDA) makes it against the law to treat you unfairly because of your: sex; gender identity; intersex status; sexual orientation; marital or relationship status (including same-sex de facto couples); family responsibilities; because you are pregnant or might become pregnant.

Hello? Why was John Howard allowed to disregard this and make changes to the Marriage Act?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
except for some reason they celebrate Diwali in parliament house (?) lol

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Exactly. Government policies contradict each other.

The sex discrimination act for example:
The Sex Discrimination Act 1984 (Cth) (the SDA) makes it against the law to treat you unfairly because of your: sex; gender identity; intersex status; sexual orientation; marital or relationship status (including same-sex de facto couples); family responsibilities; because you are pregnant or might become pregnant.

Hello? Why was John Howard allowed to disregard this and make changes to the Marriage Act?
because marriage apparently doesn't discriminate** against sexual orientation in a way that violates this act. The key term is "unfairly". It was not viewed as unfair back then, for marriage to specifically be between one man and one woman; but more so an expression/definition as opposed to discrimination** of that is what marriage was. The changes to the marriage act in 2004 were to put in law, what was "common law" and understanding.

Clearly sentiment has changed...
The very title of this thread presumes that this is an issue, that the marriage is therefore discriminatory.**

**in the negative understanding which the 1984 act addresses.

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
A civil union is a legal relationship between two people that provides legal protections to the couple only at the state level. A civil union is not a marriage, though. Civil unions do not provide federal protections, benefits, or responsibilities to couples.

HSC
N/A
Thanks - I just wasn't sure if civil union was the same as a registered relationship.

Kolmias

HSC
except for some reason they celebrate Diwali in parliament house (?) lol
Is there a problem with that, Queenroot? Australia is a multicultural society so it seems only fair to celebrate the festivals of various faiths.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
The Parliament is meant to be secular, randomly celebrating Diwali and ignoring other religious events is not helping that cause.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
A civil union is already more than enough.

Kolmias

HSC
The Parliament is meant to be secular, randomly celebrating Diwali and ignoring other religious events is not helping that cause.
Kolmias Appreciation Day is secular. Why not that?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
No it isn't. A secular national government would recognise and grant benefits just like a straight couple would receive.
They already get extended the same benefits and welfare as anyone married.

We give an inch and people try to take a mile.

Flop21

HSC
I know. There is equal rights already. Yet some people always try to push the envelope more and more once we give them an inch.

It is not a marriage though as marriage in my opinion (and many others opinions also) is between a man and a woman.
Why do you believe this?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I'm not religious if that is what you were getting at.

It is simply my belief, as it is on many people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)