• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Master of Professional Engineering (1 Viewer)

MongMan

HSC
I'm thinking of pursuing this some time after my Science degree (physics, IT minor).

Actual 5 years in a BE/Sc degree is not something I find particularly appealing due to the time duration. Three years seems better suited.

Now, Engineering handbook seems to suggest that if I do certain subjects in my science degree I would be eligible for the M. PE, needing only two years to attain. (Attached)

All in all, in terms of extra work for my bachelors, it's 36 credits of engineering subjects, and a few of computer science.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
I'm thinking of pursuing this some time after my Science degree (physics, IT minor).

Actual 5 years in a BE/Sc degree is not something I find particularly appealing due to the time duration. Three years seems better suited.

Now, Engineering handbook seems to suggest that if I do certain subjects in my science degree I would be eligible for the M. PE, needing only two years to attain. (Attached)

All in all, in terms of extra work for my bachelors, it's 36 credits of engineering subjects, and a few of computer science.

Any thoughts?
Do not do this degree.

It's a joke. 100 per cent international students and no HECS ($20 000 per year).

You can do a BE in 2 years after a BSc in most cases and have credit given.

MongMan

HSC
Hmmm. Really? Should I touch the electrical engineering units in my bachelors then?
What's the difference between M. P E and just a M. E?

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
M.E. is only a year long (48 cp) whilst MPE is longer (because you have to do the foundational subjects first).

And what jb_nc said pretty much. Get your B.E. by transferring some subjects from your B.Sc and i think you can get it on HECS (actually, i'm not sure how many degrees HECS will cover, it might be a better option to transfer into a combined B.E/B.Sci degree). Either way, you'll have 2 years added to the end, then you can do a M.E. in a year (maybe even less if you can transfer 5th year subjects over). That's 3 years total extra compared to 2 years extra for a MPE.

MongMan

HSC
M.E. is only a year long (48 cp) whilst MPE is longer (because you have to do the foundational subjects first).

And what jb_nc said pretty much. Get your B.E. by transferring some subjects from your B.Sc and i think you can get it on HECS (actually, i'm not sure how many degrees HECS will cover, it might be a better option to transfer into a combined B.E/B.Sci degree). Either way, you'll have 2 years added to the end, then you can do a M.E. in a year (maybe even less if you can transfer 5th year subjects over). That's 3 years total extra compared to 2 years extra for a MPE.
Fair enough. Should I touch the engineering subjects listed in the table while I do my science degree in physics?

To be frank, $20k a year for the MPE doesn't worry me. Taking an extra year does though.

Last edited:

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
that would be a wise choice. i haven't done the numbers, but you might as well get them out of the way. If you're just doing the physics major then you should have a few free electives left at the end anyway (well by free i mean subjects from either EIE or the science faculty), but you'll be able to do the higher level electives too.

If you do all the subjects on the list, you'd only need 30cp (5 subjects) of 3rd year elec eng subjects, 12cp (2 subjects) of thesis subjects and some 3rd, 4th or 5th year engineering electives (i've forgotten how many you need though).

MongMan

HSC
Sounds right. Danke.

I went to enroll in some of the electrical engineering subjects the 28th and apparently I need to seek permission from the dean of engineering to take subjects from the faculty. So currently I'm just loaded up on the appropriate I.T, physics and math subjects.

Should I write an email or approach him on one of the next enrolment sessions? : \

handels584

HSC
I thought that the MPE program was open to a limited number of CSP students.

Nevertheless, this web page (for ELEC5402, a unit of study offered as part of the MPE course) seems to reveal a disturbing fact:

/ELEC5402/marks

The student IDs listed show that in 2009 all but one of the students who did the course were first enrolled at USYD after 2007 (since 2005, student IDs are of the form 3YYAAAAAA where YY represents the last two digits of the calendar year in which the student first enrolled at USYD). As this unit of study cannot normally be attempted before the 4th year (yes, this unit is open to undergraduates and postgraduates), it would seem that most students completing ELEC5402 had completed some other award program at another University before enrolling in the MPE program at USYD. Of course, it is more than likely that virtually all of these students are international students.

I suspect that the international to total student ratio in ELEC5402 is representative of the ratios encountered in other units offered in the MPE course.

It is also important to remember that in the case of the School of Electrical and Information Engineering the classes in "foundation" units for students who need to gain the required background knowledge before formally progressing to the MPE program are the same as those in the corresponding level 3 or level 4 units. Having done ELEC3607 last year, I can tell you that at least 30 % of the ELEC3607/ELEC5741 class were international students (perhaps as a direct result of the introduction of the MPE program; the internation to total student ratios were nowhere near this high for first year undergraduate engineering units). If you don't have the necessary intercultural skills but are currently enrolled in the school of EIE or are planning to do engineering, this is a matter of serious concern.

Last edited:

MongMan

HSC
It is also important to remember that in the case of the School of Electrical and Information Engineering the classes in "foundation" units for students who need to gain the required background knowledge before formally progressing to the MPE program are the same as those in the corresponding level 3 or level 4 units. Having done ELEC3607 last year, I can tell you that at least 30 % of the ELEC3607/ELEC5741 class were international students (perhaps as a direct result of the introduction of the MPE program; the internation to total student ratios were nowhere near this high for first year undergraduate engineering units). If you don't have the necessary intercultural skills but are currently enrolled in the school of EIE or are planning to do engineering, this is a matter of serious concern.
Having had another look at the handbook, I see what you mean. I didn't think ELEC3607/ELEC5741 and other foundation units would have been taught from the third year classes.

Thanks for the info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)