Master of Radiation Therapy vs. Master of Medical Sonography (1 Viewer)

rod000

HSC
I'm deciding between Master of Radiation Therapy (Sydney Uni) and Master of Medical Sonography (Curtin, Perth).

SYdney Uni course is 2 years full-time + 1 yr professional practise. Curtin course is 3 years part-time but includes clinical placements (paid).

Has anyone had experince with either? Which one would you recommend in terms of career prospects.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Both have excellent career prospects.

Another suggestion is Master of Medical Ultrasound at Charles Sturt, you can do it entirely by distance (have to attend some pracs) and get paid to train as a sonographer while you do the coursework. It's 2 years.

rod000

HSC
Thanks for your response, Katie.

re: Master of Medical Ultrasound at Charles Sturt - that sounds like an option- butt.. what about the paid empolyment? Will CS Uni organise that? Or will I have to organise that myself? I have no experience in this field yet, although I'm from a health background.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Well it's sort of a condition of entry to the course (I'm looking at it as well).

In order to do the degree by distance you need something like 18 hours a week access to an ultrasound unit. The degree is sort of designed around the usual pathway which is qualified radiographers who already have jobs in radiography move into ultrasound and train on the job whilst studying. I am not 100% sure what the steps involved would be for non rads attempting the course. I am a non rad but work in an x-ray department which is why I've been given the green light, but I guess this option may be harder for those who do not already have a foot in the door (sorry I was assuming you were a rad)

rod000

HSC
Thanks for your response. You see, that might be a problem. Since I'm not already in this field (this really is a "career change" for me), it'll be hard to geta job with no background. The Sydney uni masters may be a better entry point for me.

Re: Radiation Therapy vs Sonography (or Diagnostic Radiotherapy), when I did a seek.com.au search, sonography return quite a few matches, but Radiation Therapy returned none. Although, Radiation Therapy is my first choice, I'm just getting a bit concerned about job prospects.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Yeah seek isn't great, try http://nswhealth.erecruit.com.au

and put medical imaging as the category and search. there are three jobs advertised with nsw health for rad therapists, try interstate too. It's definitely a growing profession and isn't as popular as general radiography or even sonography.

Ryan_T90

HSC
From what I have heard Sonography has really good career prospects. I haven't heard much about Radiation Therapy.

Ryan_T90

HSC
Okay, I have looked into Radiation Therapy for the past 2 hours (sick life) and honestly, it sounds amazing. I have also looked at the career prospects. Don't be put off by seek.com.au, like Katie said, look at the NSW Health job listings. From what I have researched Radiation Therapy has great career prospects in the hospital setting and a few jobs flying around in the private sector. Radiation Therapy is a growing profession, and although it is growing there is still a demand for graduates.
Honestly, after looking into Radiation Therapy a little more you have got me hooked. It sounds like such a rewarding career and the patient contact is very personal, and I like that. Go for Radiation Therapy :) !

rod000

HSC
Ryan, thanks for that post.

You are absolutely right - Radiation Therapy as a growing area and the opportunity it presents to treat cancer patients, and the patient-contact are the main reasons I'm attracted to it. Job prospects is one thing - having a rewarding profession is utterly important. I have now made my decision to stick to Radiation Therapy. woo hoo! :skip:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)