Math Ext 1 problems, what to do? (1 Viewer)

Twickel

HSC
Hi
Had my first EXT1 lesson today and, it was terrible my worst topic of all time has been Congruency/similarity and I cannot do circl geometry for the life of me.
Should I speak to my Math EXt1 teacher this monday and tell her how I feel,

Suprisingly a kid in our class didnt do all to well in 5.3 9/10, I spoke to him after the lesson, he said he understood 60% of it, so I thought I must be really sstuffed.

The problem is im doing 12 units if I drop this I need to get another subject and none of them interest me.

What should I do?

jellybelly59

HSC
well... like u said... it's only been ur first lesson... don't give up hope just yet !!!!:D have u looked at the other subjects yet... ? and u have to remember that circle geometry is only 1 section of the prelim. course :D

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Huh... I thought congruency and similarity were Year 10 stuff. :S

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Try the first term first. Then make an informed judgement on your position. You shouldn't let one lesson or one topic deter you from doing the rest of the course. Remember, just practise and put it in the effort to gain a better understanding of Circle Geometry!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sounds familiar. Although, we didn't do Congruency/Similarity nor Circle Geometry, we did Basic Arithmetic and Factorisation.

To be honest, I don't think it's a wise idea to drop Maths Ext 1 after a day in the subject. Otherwise, I would drop Legal because of the fact that we got two assignments on our first day. :p

dpospination

HSC
yeh, give it some time b4 u make your decision. also, talk to some of your maths tecahers about it

Twickel

HSC
Thanks for the advice,
Last night I talked to someone in my ext1 class and he said he doe not understand the circle geo enoguh to do the homework, so if I try atleast it looks like im putting the effort in, even if I am getting them wrong.

I think this Monday I will talk to the teacher and tell her im finding it difficult but I am trying so even if I get a really bad mark in the exam, dont drop me.

The thing im worried about is, at my school we have to make our mind up if we want to drop/change any subjects by week 4, circle geo ends week4. Any later and it will be to hard to catch up on another subject. Because I am 12 units Id have to pick another subject.

Another thing my teacher does not explain thikngs well, and I dont like ti when she asks questions and you have to answer it to the class, because I just listen try to understand it, and apply it at home. Is it ok if I say, miss could you not ask me questions because of the above reason?

Last edited:

eddy11

HSC
pick up 2 unit SOR, i did that so i could drop music and stay above 12 units. Its worth it, helps heaps with hsc SOR, ive since dropped back to SOR1 and am loving it (not really but im finding it easier than those who have just done 1 unit).

Alternatively keep on going with 3 unit maths. I started off the year ranked 14/21, ended up topping a major task and coming 4/21 over the year. I worked really hard on my maths and it payed off, it didnt happen over night or even (unfortunately for your case) over 4 weeks but it did happen.

Why not pick up SOR2 and keep maths, work ure ass off at maths but then you still have a backup in case maths doesn't work out and maintain 12 unit requirement.

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
I think cirlce geometry is one of the hardest things in ext 1 yr 11, so don't worry about it. I still have problems with it and I am the best maths student in my class.

My advice - practice lots, it really will help

bubblybrooke3

HSC
Twickel said:
Hi
Had my first EXT1 lesson today and, it was terrible my worst topic of all time has been Congruency/similarity and I cannot do circl geometry for the life of me.
Should I speak to my Math EXt1 teacher this monday and tell her how I feel,

Suprisingly a kid in our class didnt do all to well in 5.3 9/10, I spoke to him after the lesson, he said he understood 60% of it, so I thought I must be really sstuffed.

The problem is im doing 12 units if I drop this I need to get another subject and none of them interest me.

What should I do?
I'm doing maths ext1 too. I tried to do my circle geometry homework today. I gave up after about a third of it. *shudder*

kuytbird

HSC
keep at it man, it might improve.
im not a fan of physics (im onli doin advanced maths) but think of it as you only have 3 terms of it, and if you really hate it then you go into crisis mode :)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Circle geometry is just memory, if you can memorise rules and "see" the circle, you'll be fine.

IMO the hardest in 3unit was trigonmetry (the rules and identities, but its nothing compared to year 12 obviosuly) and locus (offputting at first, but easier once you keep going)

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Yes, circle geometry, after a bit of practice, becomes probably one of the easiest topics of extension maths as it is such a confined topic. You have a set of rules to learn, and then you only have to apply them. Just stick with it, and it will become a LOT easier.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
tommykins said:
Circle geometry is just memory, if you can memorise rules and "see" the circle, you'll be fine.

IMO the hardest in 3unit was trigonmetry (the rules and identities, but its nothing compared to year 12 obviosuly) and locus (offputting at first, but easier once you keep going)
Our first topic is trigonometry, and it isn't so hard if you put your mind to it IMO.

For Twickel: With your problem of math ext 1, just keep going, don't give up. If your half yearly results aren't so pleasing or your report, then drop to 2U Advanced Mathematics.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Razizi said:
Our first topic is trigonometry, and it isn't so hard if you put your mind to it IMO.

And with your problem of math ext 1, just keep going, don't give up. If your half yearly results aren't so pleasing or your report, then drop to 2U Advanced Mathematics.
He does 4U Maths :), and he can't drop anything else. He's on 10 units.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Kujah said:
He does 4U Maths :), and he can't drop anything else. He's on 10 units.
In the 2nd stanza, I was referring to Twickel, the person who made this thread ;). Must've confused you, I'll edit.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Razizi said:
In the 2nd stanza, I was referring to Twickel, the person who made this thread ;). Must've confused you, I'll edit.
Oops, my bad.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Razizi said:

For Twickel: With your problem of math ext 1, just keep going, don't give up. If your half yearly results aren't so pleasing or your report, then drop to 2U Advanced Mathematics.
Yeah i know, the whole prelim course is pretty easy, but trig was a tad annoying. =)

HSC
yeah circle geometry is pretty hard, you haev to think alot and draw upon alot of the reasons, i got through it myself using study guides and ALOT of practice questions

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
thisnameistaken said:
yeah circle geometry is pretty hard, you haev to think alot and draw upon alot of the reasons, i got through it myself using study guides and ALOT of practice questions
Hrm, nice phats, ever been to a rave though ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)