MATH PHYS Tutoring for FIRST-YEARS ? (1 Viewer)

made.in.china90

HSC
Hello first-year engineering and science students,

My name is Sam, currently a second year student in Civil Engineering and Commerce. I am offering a one-to-one tutoring service as I have noticed that there is a high demand for help in mathematics, through the Student Support Scheme. This tutoring service is for those who wish to seek additional help outside of tutorials and lectures.

Courses: The subjects that I am able to tutor are as follows:

MATH1131 Mathematics 1A / MATH1141 Higher Mathematics 1A
Achieved a HIGH DISTINCTION, with a mark of 87.

MATH1231 Mathematics 1B / MATH1241 Higher Mathematics 1B
Achieved a DISTINCTION, with a mark of 84.

PHYS1121 Physics 1A / PHYS1131 Higher Physics 1B
Achieved a DISTINCTION, with a mark of 81.

Experience: I am very experienced in both one-to-one and group tutoring in preliminary and hsc mathematics, physics and chemistry. I have take students for one-to-one tutoring and guided them throughout their studies, and also tutored in groups.

Price: 25 dollars per hour or part thereof.

Location and Availability: One-to-one tutoring available at any location around the University of New South Wales (Kensington Campus) or in the Burwood Area, on any weekday.

Contact Details: email/msn: made.in.china90@hotmail.com OR z3289252@zmail.unsw.edu.au
mobile: 0422110821

If you are genuinely interested, or have any inquiries, in one-on-one tutoring for these subjects, feel free to contact me through my mobile or email.

The advantages of one-on-one tutoring include:
Flexibility: one-to-one tutoring allows you to dictate the pace you want to learn at which you. Tutorials and lectures are taught based on a schedule, which may be too fast or too slow for your pace. I am not saying one-on-one tutoring is alternative to going to lectures or tutorials. But often when you start getting fully lost in lectures or tutorials, you will have the desire to just skip them altogether.

Experience: As someone who has recently done the course, I know the what is important in the course and what is not. I have also spent many hours learning the material for myself, compiling worked solutions for the MATH1231 MATH1131 course pack, and I wish to share my knowledge with that need the extra help. I know from first hand experience that some lecturers are a pain to understand and makes maths very boring, while other lecturers such as David Angell and Peter Brown are very good at explaining the mathematical theory in a clear and understandable way.

I also recommend viewers to read the Ultimate guide to first year mathematics and physics, as they are quite good to giving you a idea of mathematics and physics in uni.

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
not imrpessed with 1A mark seeing as that's what i got.

but for phys 1A 81 is pretty respectable.

and <3 peter brown. one of the best.

made.in.china90

HSC
A mark is just a mark. A excellent mark in a particular course does not mean that the person is able to teach it effectively. It only means that the person knows the subject well. I know many people who are extremely smart, and have achieved outstanding marks, but aren't very good at teaching others. I have experienced this myself in both highschool and in uni. Some teachers and lecturers are really smart, knowing the course they teach inside out. But they are unable to teach in a clear and succinct manner for students (who do not understand the course) to understand.

Communication skills are extremely important for teaching and tutoring. Some of the best teachers i've had aren't the brightest, but they are really good at making abstract concepts (especially for mathematics and physics) easy to understand.

I have to disagree with you. I think any distinction or high distinction is respectable at uni. Not impressive as a high 90's HD, but respectable.

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
of course, i didn't say anything about your tutoring skills or how well you teach. just saying that i got your mark as well and hence aren't impressed (seeing as lost marks were due to stupid mistakes).

i actually agree with you though, i got low e4 for 4unit yet can teach better than some of the 95+'s

CRANK-SHAFT

i'm on urPC,pwning n00bs
HSC
Yeah, it seems awesome that you want to teach. I fully agree with you and although I do not
come from a high ranking school with lots of competitive students I tend to miss the teaching
the most. Going through first year, it seems kinda unfair with the fact that there are soo many
different sections and streams for everything and unless you get the good teachers its pretty
much do it all on your own....i hate that about uni.

Also on the part about good teaching, A good teacher is one who can communicate and express themselves, ignite the interest in the student for the desired subject and work on their weaknesses and strengths. I am doing mechanical and not mentioning names I have had some horrible teachers this year, although I am sure they are amazing in their chosen field. One of my lecturers even clearly admits he cant be bother to teach and hates what he is doing although they had to pick him, he finds that he is more involved in his research and couldnt care less about his students.

So in that regard, all those who are arrogant with marks- take note that a good teacher is just that- a good teacher..

great results BTW guys...i got similar as well..but would rather just leave the numbers out of the discussion.. :)have a nice day

cjtk

HSC
N/A
maybe the post is a bit early? since first years haven't even enrolled yet.

Geologic

Banned
HSC
How can you do Physics 1A and Higher Physics 1A at the same time? 87 is l33t though.

Last edited:

made.in.china90

HSC
i did higher physics 1A. Higher physics 1A and physics 1A are essential almost identical courses (except for the extra questions in the midsem and final exams for higher physics students). Therefore i am also able to tutor physics 1A as well as higher physics 1A (=.

cjtk

HSC
N/A
did the price just rise? Or is that just my imagination? But i have to say 25 per hour is not expensive for uni tutoring

made.in.china90

HSC
yes the price went up to 25 :) but i still think its in a reasonable price range for private tutoring.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I thought there were tutors at uni already...
There are and tbh if anyone needs to pay for an extra privaet tutor for engineering, they should drop the whole program and stop going to uni altogether.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)