math1904 and 1905 (1 Viewer)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
MATH1904 is discrete, 1905 is stats. Quite different.

You should check to see which one is required for your degree. Most degrees have default maths unit stats instead of discrete, and it might be a prerequisite for later courses or majors.

If you can't decide, do both.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
theres also 1903 to consider if you havent which would probably be the most recommended of the 3 in any degree

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
discrete is more to do with IT ish subjects
stat on the other hand has s th to do with commerce/psychology/other science...

SeDaTeD

HSC
There is also the option of taking the second year version, MATH2069/2969 - Discrete Maths and graph theory, if you haven't taken the first year unit. Most of the stuff overlaps anyway.

In my opinion, if you're probably not gonna do any more maths later on, and your choice isn't dictated much by your other subjects, then I'd say take discrete, much more interesting than stats.

Stuff discrete covers: Counting, number theory, set theory, logic, recurrence relations, modular arithmetic, etc.

I'd assume most students will take 1903 and one of 1904 and 1905, but as Templar said, doing both is fine.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'm doing 1904 because stats doesn't sound fun at all...

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
SeDaTeD said:
Stuff discrete covers: Counting, number theory, set theory, logic, recurrence relations, modular arithmetic, etc.
It sounds interesting but doesn't get far enough in any of them to be interesting.

The problem with doing all 3 maths subjects is 8am lectures every day. I want to get a copy of Primer and stop bothering with stats, especially considering all you do is fall asleep in the lecture anyway.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Templar said:
It sounds interesting but doesn't get far enough in any of them to be interesting.

The problem with doing all 3 maths subjects is 8am lectures every day. I want to get a copy of Primer and stop bothering with stats, especially considering all you do is fall asleep in the lecture anyway.
One of my friends who did stats a few years ago said the adv and normal are practically identical, so you could just turn up to the normal lectures around lunchtime.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
both lecturers are quite hypnotising...
one's just the voice, the other ... well... everything ><

yeh stat's boring'er than discrete... but imo, practially it has a much wider usage as well...

nit

HSC
hopefully it'll be like 1901 is now - buy the lecture notes and all that you do in lectures is go over them word by word. But that was probably only a one-off. There was really no point turning up to 1901 lectures.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
For those that have done MATH1005: seeing as how there are three different streams, can i take a lecture from two different streams and add them together or will different stuff be taught at different times in the three streams?

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Then don't?

I was told I'll be needing it for a major in phys. besides...I can't think of doing anything else.

SeDaTeD

HSC
I'll be doing stats coz I've already done discrete. Damn first year.

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
don't do stats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i don't get to choose any of my subjects :(

oh well, probably better off cause im pretty indecisive

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
LoneShadow said:
I was told I'll be needing it for a major in phys. besides...I can't think of doing anything else.
Where does it say that?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
@lonely shadow: doubt u will need stat for phys major, but then again, doing a stat subject is defintely helpful in general...

@sedated: how could u have done discrete??!?!?!?!

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
It says MATH 1005/1905 would also be useful for physics but its not something you definitely need

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)