Mathematical Curiosities. (1 Viewer)

HSC
There is some theory called the 'p integrals' and explains that that for p>1, the integral The point is that the successive parts being added are getting smaller and smaller at a fast enough rate so that the total area is finite.

The length of a curve is given by Which is derived from pythagoras' theorem essentially. In terms of velocity/accel it doesn't have any significance.

If there constants were different the world would still function just in a different way. This is more of a philosophical question.

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
When graphing the curve of:

You get the area beneath the curve, over the x-axis and between x=1 and x= -1 as pi/2.

This can be done by integration.

My curiosity is:

How can an exact area bounded by a curve have an irrational value, where the curve is finite, by the area beneath is not exact.

HSC
You contradicted yourself in that sentence. Please clarify.

braintic

HSC
N/A
When graphing the curve of:

You get the area beneath the curve, over the x-axis and between x=1 and x= -1 as pi/2.

This can be done by integration.

My curiosity is:

How can an exact area bounded by a curve have an irrational value, where the curve is finite, by the area beneath is not exact.
But pi/2 IS exact. Which part is not exact?

braintic

HSC
N/A
In terms of velocity/accel it doesn't have any significance.
It is a length - or a displacement along the curve. So its derivative with respect to time IS the velocity.

If there constants were different the world would still function just in a different way. This is more of a philosophical question.
Not sure I see a connection to the length of a curve.

Last edited:
HSC
I'm not quite understanding what he is saying...

So if you said that then is the ...???

HSC
Also the stuff about mathematical constants...the symbols and are just SYMBOLIC representations of a concept which happen to be constant. For pi, it is the ratio between the circumference of a circle to its diameter (many will argue circumference to radius would be more appropriate, see tau.) and e is the base of the natural logarithm. It is the number 'a' for which and the limit of

nightweaver066

HSC
1. So we have the triangle inequality... but where did it come from?

2. Why/how does the method of variables separable work?

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I wonder how did they discover radians :3, or figure out the value of pi.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
So we have the triangle inequality... but where did it come from?
Straight line distance is always the shortest route between any two points.

Another way is to consider the cosine rule and make the cosine the subject:

Now since the cosine function oscillates between -1 and 1 we can say that:

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Consider some angle subtended at the centre of a circle of radius R, by an arc PQ, then:

Consider now that the angle is a revolution such that it covers the whole circle:

So

nightweaver066

HSC
You should've done this in Calculus first year maths... (or are you probing the question?)
lol we've definitely used it, but I don't recall ever having it proven/justified, just explained very wish-washily by my tutor.

HSC
This is just from my course notes summarised:

which is what we wanted. So the method is justified - but we skip a lot of theory!

Last edited:

nightweaver066

HSC
Thanks a lot for that asianese!

The last part seems a bit confusing, so would it still be correct to see it this way?

Comparing this to , we see that we can apply the 'trick' in rearranging the differentials to integrate.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
But pi/2 IS exact. Which part is not exact?
Oops. What I mean is in terms of a decimal. How do you get an irrational area in terms of a curve which is supposed to be known as definite.

I don't know, maybe its a stupid question. The one thing I've never been good at is terminology in Maths.

My reference to they below is Mathematicians.
So what they did was draw a circle. Then they drew a rectangle in the circle (concyclic) and found the area. Then, they added isosceles triangles to each side of the rectangle to touch the circles edge (concyclic) to get an octagon. Then they did this again to get a 16-sided polygon and so forth for concyclic polygons. Eventually you get a circular shape. Thus they calculated the area, and had an approximation pi. Then a couple hundred years later, calculus was invented and you can use graphing to get pi to a more accurate approximation (Just like my question from above you can get exactly pi/2).

HSC
Thanks a lot for that asianese!

The last part seems a bit confusing, so would it still be correct to see it this way?

Comparing this to , we see that we can apply the 'trick' in rearranging the differentials to integrate.
Yeah so just whenever you integrate stick in a +C, its more natural to have 2 constants, but usually we only bother ourselves with one!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)