Mathematics and finance (1 Viewer)

HSC
i am hoping to get into the bachelor of mathematics and finance at UOW and was wondering if anyone else had done it.
Eventually want to get into hedge funds anyone know if that degree suits it?
heard that you normally don't get in as a grad anyone know how you would? start in a managed fund?
cheers

HSC
cmon gus there has been over 30 views and no one has anything to say about my question?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
You should be looking to enter a good uni like UNSW or USyd, and studying degrees like actuarial, finance, maths, etc (or any combination of these). It's a bit premature to say you want to work in a hedge fund: just get into a good uni and degree which matches your career goals (finance).

HSC
ok so your saying that UNSW or Usyd are better then UOW for maths and finance? is that your opinion or is there something that i could read to back your statement up

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Best off doing something professional. What does a maths and finance degree qualify you to be? Im not sure....

Combine it with engineering, law or accounting or a professional degree.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
He could pursue a finance field that required good maths skills? *shrug*

But yeah try UNSW/USYD

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
velox said:
What does a maths and finance degree qualify you to be? Im not sure....
Actuarial analysis for one thing, I'm looking for more careers like this myself.

HSC
well my maths teacher told me about this degree cause his son was doing it and hoping to get into IB
maths degrees show your level of logical thinking and you also use calculus for the stockmarket and other higher levels of maths
thats what i have heard anyway

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Studentleader said:
Actuarial analysis for one thing, I'm looking for more careers like this myself.
So do a host of other more professional degrees. Working in a hedge fund and mucking around with insurance models are different things.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
wookie skimmer said:
ok so your saying that UNSW or Usyd are better then UOW for maths and finance? is that your opinion or is there something that i could read to back your statement up
They have more prestige. It generally looks more attractive to employers.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
They have more prestige. It generally looks more attractive to employers.
Generally. Prestige.

Prestige.

Generally. Prestige.

Generally.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
to the posts above, why is everything always about UNSW/USYD? Sure there older/larger/more funded, but seriously their is factors in people's lives aside from academic ability which often limit people's attendance to these uni's. Ie moving away from home at 18 to live in Syd with no money, knowing no1. Im much happier with my choice to go to UOW as i basically live within a good distance and it is a hell of a lot cheaper at home.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Reality check:

1) Getting the knowledge (degree) is not enough...you need to have the smarts, full stop. If you're good enough to get a merit scholarship to support you, that's a good sign you're on par with your competition. Otherwise, forget it...finance is a tough business to get into.

2) Also, metropolitan universities have better industry links and work opportunities to get your foot in the door, which is probably the most important thing for you now.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
§eraphim said:
Reality check:

1) Getting the knowledge (degree) is not enough...you need to have the smarts, full stop. If you're good enough to get a merit scholarship to support you, that's a good sign you're on par with your competition. Otherwise, forget it...finance is a tough business to get into.

2) Also, metropolitan universities have better industry links and work opportunities to get your foot in the door, which is probably the most important thing for you now.
Agree with you there Seraph.

However Cookie, that shouldn't dishearten anybody's pursuit towards a job in finance in the major cities if they're going to a regional uni. Marks and qualifications are really important in finance, because as Seraph said, its a challenging industry to crack, especially in the high end fields.

For instance, the OP's pursuit of a job in hedge funds takes an aweful lot of determination and smarts, and many people are quite naive to just how tough it can be. Even for the major banks nowadays, it seems the majority of people in interviews have comm/law (hons).

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Hedge funds are run privately to protect trade secrets, and thus getting in means you must be a proven performer (in the industry) and can add value (ie, boost their P&L). Many of them are set up by former traders/IBers from the big banks, and also by expert mathematicians/programmers (how expert? Well, they have important mathematical results named after them - see Renaissance Technologies). Honestly, a grad there is nothing more than a waste of floor space.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)