Mathematics Ext 1 / Ext 2 (1 Viewer)

Discord

HSC
It's just intuitive coincidence that high-scoring students do a high level of maths. You can loosely define subjects as either artistic, theoretical or logical, and maths is known to be the basis of logic. People who are good at maths thus have a better aptitude for physics and chemistry. 4u maths, 2u physics, 2u chem and the compulsory 2u english is your 10 HSC units already.

Now to my question which I feel selfish creating a new thread for:

4u Maths means that Ext 1. counts for 2 units and Ext 2. counts for 2 units.

What if you do 3u maths? Is it like english where the extension unit only counts for 1 unit?

The reason I ask is because for a student who is not adept enough at maths for 3u maths to be relatively easy, Ext 1. maths then becomes a whole lot of hard work for only 1 unit of credit.

ilikebeeef

HSC
It's just intuitive coincidence that high-scoring students do a high level of maths. You can loosely define subjects as either artistic, theoretical or logical, and maths is known to be the basis of logic. People who are good at maths thus have a better aptitude for physics and chemistry. 4u maths, 2u physics, 2u chem and the compulsory 2u english is your 10 HSC units already.

Now to my question which I feel selfish creating a new thread for:

4u Maths means that Ext 1. counts for 2 units and Ext 2. counts for 2 units.

What if you do 3u maths? Is it like english where the extension unit only counts for 1 unit?

The reason I ask is because for a student who is not adept enough at maths for 3u maths to be relatively easy, Ext 1. maths then becomes a whole lot of hard work for only 1 unit of credit.
Yes.

NewiJapper

HSC
You really don't need Maths or science to achieve a 99+ ATAR.

Four years ago someone in my school managed to get over 99 with no maths or science. Goes to show what hard work can do :)

bouncing

HSC
haha true, but the cases where that happens usually requires the individual to get like over 90+ for most of their subjects

and yes extension 1 for an ext 1 maths students counts as only one unit (as opposed to 4u students who get the ext 1 = 2 units and higher scaled)

kyokaku92

HSC
Most of the 99+ students I've spoken to do 4U Maths + Phys + Chem, some do a combination of the higher languages (Latin, Ancient Greek).
Please excuse the generalising/stereotyping but are most of those people you asked either asian or from selective?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)