Mathematics - General thoughts on the exam (1 Viewer)

rivergumrob

HSC
nickyroony said:
You had to complete the square for the x side then add +9 to the y side so you end up with something like (x-3)^2 = 12y-12 if I remember correctly.

9 b) iii) I got 800L overflow. Anyone else?
9 c) ii) x=4a/3

Question 10 was a biatch =D
...I think from memory i got 8000 L overflow...i hope i didnt carry a zero...oh dear...

I keep finding more mistakes in my work. That question involving the sector and angle (3(pi)/5 or whatever, i didnt notice that each of the sides of the isos triangle were equal to 3...apparently it was in the question...So annoying, I knew the formulas but lost 4 marks coz i didnt read the flippin question...

Now to prepare for 3 unit *sigh*

suzieee

HSC
djbettridge said:
I wrote a big NOT ATTEMPTED on the fron cover of 9 ^-^
Thank god for early entry haha so happy my marks dont matter
i hated that test
ill be happy with 40% if i get that
if not oh well
hopefully i get early entry too :)
i also hated the test. all of my class (theres 3 of us. i go to a small school) also hated it and doubt we'll pass. hopefully chem is ok (and ag, but its always pretty easy.)

SS06

HSC
N/A
I found the paper ok. I thought I did question 10 correctly but some people have posted answers which I didn't get. Can anyone help me with Ques. 6biii) what is the limiting value? how do u find it?

iamben

HSC
simpsons rule easy as? - i almost got it wrong because i didn't realise till i had finished the question that you had to do it in two parts. the first function was negative, the second was zero and the third was a positive. so you had to calculate from 0.5 to 1 and then add that to the calculation of 1 to 1.5. Thats why they had it in question 10 - it actually was harder unless you straight away realised the correct approach

HilaryLush

HSC
SS06 said:
I found the paper ok. I thought I did question 10 correctly but some people have posted answers which I didn't get. Can anyone help me with Ques. 6biii) what is the limiting value? how do u find it?
i got 150, cause as t approaches infitinty the "e" part goes to 0 and thus u r left with 150. i hope thats right, my dad thinks it is...but yeah

HilaryLush

HSC
iamben said:
simpsons rule easy as? - i almost got it wrong because i didn't realise till i had finished the question that you had to do it in two parts. the first function was negative, the second was zero and the third was a positive. so you had to calculate from 0.5 to 1 and then add that to the calculation of 1 to 1.5. Thats why they had it in question 10 - it actually was harder unless you straight away realised the correct approach
sorry what? i dont understand ur explanation. i did like h/3 (1st result + 2nd result +4(middleresult)) i think the 1st and 2nd were 0, i think i ended up getting loike 0.44...something or maybe -0.44.... - is that right or wrong?

connected

HSC
beentherdunthat said:
im sory ur mathematical section of ur brain isn't workin... and huny i am doin accelerated english so lay yourself low in jealousy .. and bi the way get ur facts straight coz im not lookin at an extensin english paper and i dont have to take the time out to spell corectly..
LOL... okay, since when does time have anything to do with learning how to spell properly? You realise it basically takes the same amount of time to spell words correctly than to type like some incoherent retard, right? Stop acting like such an accelerated bimbo.

Anyway, this exam sucked! But I'm happy it's over :)

Benmc

HSC
iamben said:
Whats???

Simpsons rule is just an equation - h/3 (f0 + fl + 4(odds) + 2(evens)

what r u going on about.

jared_88

HSC
Question 1-8: Fairly easy sailing (except for a few questions that were a little tricky but do-able)

Question 9:
a. Easy
b. Easy
c. A little tough and tricky but do-able

Question 10:
a. A little confusing (was the answer -0.044 or something like that??? (because I thought that seeing as they didn't ask for the area that it could be negative))
b. As its title alludes - B for BEAST! - Had a go trying to fudge part (i) and (v) but got nowhere! (then again I only had 10 minutes to do this part... AAARRRGGGHHH)

On the whole: Straightforward except for 10.b. But a very long exam (as I said I only had 10 mins left for 10.b.)

Last edited:

Benmc

HSC
HilaryLush said:
i got 150, cause as t approaches infitinty the "e" part goes to 0 and thus u r left with 150. i hope thats right, my dad thinks it is...but yeah
yeah thats correct.
WTF is with the BOS. THats like a three unit growth and decay question.

SS06

HSC
N/A
What everyone get for ques 8 bii) the number of years it took Joe to repay the loan?

thanx for the help with ques 6

glamo

HSC
it was so bad..i could hardly do any questions from question 6 onwards

pennypacker

Walking on the moon
HSC
Well, despite what some people have said about it being a hard exam, i actually thought it was the easiest of the recent past exams in terms of content.

That didn't stop me from making a really stupid mistake (i integrated the displacement function instead of differentiating! How dumb is that!)

The main problem was this paper really pushed me for time. I sort of finished, but it was really tight.

I worked out the best i can get, if i made no more silly mistakes, is 108.

That means more like 104. Which is ok, but seriously, coulda been like 110+.

iamben

HSC
Benmc said:
Whats???

Simpsons rule is just an equation - h/3 (f0 + fl + 4(odds) + 2(evens)

what r u going on about.
Think about what you have to do when you have a definate integral where parts of the area are under the x-axis and parts of the area are above the x-axis. yes you use the simspons rule as you have quoted but if you do not take into consideration the fact you have a negative area and a positive area you'll get a smaller value for the area. thats why you had to treat them as two areas, divided at the point where f(x) = 0 which was at the second function

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
OMG that was so friggin easy (compare it to 2005 please...)
it was like, during reading time I was wondering if i got the right paper!!1
finished Q1-8 within 2 hrs

WHOEVER WROTE THE PAPER, I LOVE YOU!!!!! I LOVE YOOOOOOU!!!!!!!!!

vojnik

HSC
beentherdunthat said:
im sory ur mathematical section of ur brain isn't workin... and huny i am doin accelerated english so lay yourself low in jealousy .. and bi the way get ur facts straight coz im not lookin at an extensin english paper and i dont have to take the time out to spell corectly..
WOW youre a fucking hero arent you...

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
iamben said:
Think about what you have to do when you have a definate integral where parts of the area are under the x-axis and parts of the area are above the x-axis. yes you use the simspons rule as you have quoted but if you do not take into consideration the fact you have a negative area and a positive area you'll get a smaller value for the area. thats why you had to treat them as two areas, divided at the point where f(x) = 0 which was at the second function
But don't you just separate it when they ask for area? If it says 'evaluate' then you do it as normal I think..

Either way, I ended up getting a negative answer for that x_x.

8 b) ii) the loan repayment question I got like 94 months or something like that x_x The numbers I had to work with were really weird.. so hope I didn't do carried error x_x

HilaryLush

HSC
iamben said:
yes, an integral can be used to measure the area under a curve, but if they just ask for the integral (which they did in qu10) then it can be positive or negative. it was a reasonably simple qu i think but they probably put it in qu 10 to confuse people with its negative value

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)