Mathematics (1 Viewer)

pheonix1995

HSC
Was just wondering what type of subjects at university require you to do advanced or extension mathematics, i have been contemplating about this question because i have recently dropped down to general which still allows me to get an atar but teachers have told me that it stops me from dojng subjects at uni that require it?

zeebobDD

HSC
Engineering; it assume you have knowledge of extension 1 mathematics, my friend is doing it and he did 2u maths, he is struggling with the maths atm:/
should be few others

qianjixin

HSC
I heard that is also considered assumed knowledge for Psychology because of all the statistics they do.

Illest

HSC
can't you do a bridging course once you get into uni?

zeebobDD

HSC
i highly doubt bridging courses can turn a general mathematics student into a capable 3u student... but you never know

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
UNSW
http://www.unsw.edu.au/future-students/domestic-undergraduate/assumed-knowledge

http://www.unsw.edu.au/sites/default/files/documents/2012%20ATAR%20Cut-Offs%20Table.pdf

USYD - Doesnt have a compact table where I can copy paste a link. But you can search your desired course from this

http://sydney.edu.au/courses/

Just click the topic you wish to do, then see what Assumed Knowledge is needed.

Its generally needed for Engineering, some Commerce and Economics degrees, most science degrees and some others

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Science would require a bit of maths. HSC "Science" is nothing like university level science.

Also maths as a major requires the highest levels.

If you're really lost - go look at Course Descriptions in your UAC guide and see what sorts of degrees require or recommend maths study. That's not a full list, I don't think things like Psychology - which does use maths apparently (well, stats) - would say maths explicitly as a recommended thing... but you get the idea.

zhiying

HSC
Actuarial Studies major requires math too, think only 3u but 4u does help with some topics

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
i highly doubt bridging courses can turn a general mathematics student into a capable 3u student... but you never know
If his best is Gen Maths, no way is he going to be a 3U material thru a bridging course.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Actuarial Studies major requires math too, think only 3u but 4u does help with some topics
4u will help immensely, most if not all students doing an actuarial major are 4u graduates anyway

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Definitely, they do recommend Extension 1 Math and Advanced English, but 2U is sufficient enough to get in.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Is 2U enough for economics?
I know at UNSW, second year economics delves into partial derivatives and Lagrange multipliers... which is at a good level. 2u is enough, but if you like maths - the higher the better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)