Maths + actuarial at macquarie (1 Viewer)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ricenoodles
these macquarie students...just love bragging about how good their actuarial course is. :p
Haven't you noticed ... it's called the Macquarie "Our Actuarial Course is Superior" University. :D:D:D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
How so? We at MQ take Actuarial very serious. :p That should go to UNSW! :D

Wacky

Who me?
HSC
BTW the Topology/Konigsberg/Euler number discussion was macquarie.

maniacguy

flyin' is there any way I can look at the MQ first year maths exams? (ideally, or anything that would give me an idea of the sort of standard expected)

Because from what I can see you get to do more interesting stuff in first year (group theory is not done in first year, mainly because if most students aren't going to go on to do maths - well over 80% will be doing first year maths without doing a major in maths - then it's not really relevant), but I'm assured that your later year group theory isn't as challenging as that at, for instance, UNSW. I can't really say without seeing for myself though.

dvse

HSC
N/A
You all seem to forget the best way to get actuarial qualification - through IA exams.

If you want to do research or quantitative work your best choice is some combination of maths / computer science / economics or finance. The actuarial degree is almost irrelevant, the only thing that people who hire actuaries want is professional credentials.

So perhaps get another major and try to qualify on your own ? That's still the way it's done in the UK.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by maniacguy
flyin' is there any way I can look at the MQ first year maths exams? (ideally, or anything that would give me an idea of the sort of standard expected)...
It's included as an Attachment in PDF.
(The most relevant question would be 12, and maybe 11.)
Originally posted by dvse
You all seem to forget the best way to get actuarial qualification - through IA exams...

So perhaps get another major and try to qualify on your own ? That's still the way it's done in the UK.
IA exams might be the most obvious and direct, but it might also be most difficult because you'll be studyin' externally for Part I, II, III.

Well, I wouldn't for one get another major then do all the Actuarial subjects and try qualifyin' externally when I can do it at Uni and say 3 to 4 years.

dvse

HSC
N/A
You don't need to study externally. Simply get the Core Reading and go through it yourself. Realistically you need to spend 2-4 weeks per subject.

It can easily be done in parrallel with uni.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
But wouldn't it still be extra work, on top of whatever degree you are doin' at Uni. Why not just do it at Uni?

Btw, what is Core Reading, and wouldn't you still have to do other work such as questions and digestin' the material?

dvse

HSC
N/A
Core Reading is the comprehensive set of notes for each of nine Part I subjects sold by ActEd. It also includes questions with solutions.

Of course it's quite a bit of extra work but there are really no downsides to this approach. I think it's one of the best aspects of the profession.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
you sit for IA exams at canberra. it's like 700 bux each attempt. ppl only do it if they failed a subject and wanted exemption immediately.

dvse

HSC
N/A
It's $450 per exam and they are conducted twice a year - in April and September. You can sit them in Sydney.

flying:

Yes, I got 4 Part I exams this way and 4 through uni. I am also enrolled non-award in ACST401 at MQ right now.

william

HSC
people said Actuarial in Macquarie foul out 40 percent of studnets every year, is that true?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Well, that's definitely not true. For first year, not many people leave, let alone forced to. People leave because they can't or are not willing to handle the workload. As a rough guess, at most 10-20% will leave in first year (at their own will or poor grades, although I'd have to say the former is more likely the case). As for second year, possible 30-40% wouldn't be surprising.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)