maths needed for physics? (1 Viewer)

theomen131

HSC
N/A
i want to keep doing physics for year 12, but i am not going well in advanced (55%), and am planning on moving down to general in which i got 100% in the general papers.

Will my potential to do well in physics be limited because of moving down from maths?

thanks for your help :D

Kobweb

HSC
N/A
The difficulty of the maths in physics is at a year 10 level, where you would be given all of the required information except for one piece and you need to sub that into a formula, to get the answer. The hardest part would either be simultaneous equations, or using logs in astrophysics, otherwise you should be fine. One might go as far as to say that if a 4 unit student did physics, they might only have to practice a type of question for 15 min, but a general maths student might need 20 min. The difference doesn't really matter and you won't be at a disadvantage. Its the concepts that are difficult, not the actual application of maths.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
No . Prelim/hsc physics is fairly easy in terms of the math required ... Simple calculations (no 2U) and a little bit of significant figures and trigonometry .

HSC
Hello.
I am doing general as well as Physics, I am finding well, there is no heavy maths required.
Only thing I've encountered which threw me off a bit was using the Quadratic formula in stage 3 projectile motion.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Why do Physics if you can't even handle 2U maths - even if the maths required for the NSW Physics course is rather undemanding. Physics is a very maths-intensive subject, but the NSW version of HSC Physics may give you a misleading idea.

Will you be needing to do some more Physics at Uni? Look long term - not short term. Even if you are not doing a Science-based or Engineering course, many courses require a min of 2U maths as a prerequisite or as assumed knowledge.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldn't recommend doing General Mathematics with Physics. It won't stop you from doing well but you're setting yourself up for a road block, if you understand me.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldn't recommend doing General Mathematics with Physics. It won't stop you from doing well but you're setting yourself up for a road block, if you understand me.
Agreed. 2u is the bare minimum for many UNi courses ...

Kobweb

HSC
N/A
Guys what are you saying? He should't try physics because its harder at university and if he is not doing at least 2 unit then there is no point in the subject? One of you is a tutor and you are putting him off... OP please ignore them and do physics, you should be fine. Although they are right in saying if you want to continue it at UNI then it will take a higher level, but this doesn't mean you shouldn't try it in year 12

theomen131

HSC
N/A
Thankyou everyone. the courses that I want to do dont necessarily include maths as any assumed knowledge. so this wouldn't be a prob let. I am just considering physics for the year 12 course and how maths will affect that not uni

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Maths and Physics require the same type of thinking. If you struggle at Mathematics, odds are you will struggle in Physics. Each year that I have taught, the General Maths students always finish at the bottom.

I don't want to discourage you, but this is fact.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Maths and Physics require the same type of thinking. If you struggle at Mathematics, odds are you will struggle in Physics. Each year that I have taught, the General Maths students always finish at the bottom.

I don't want to discourage you, but this is fact.
Agreed 101%.

When I expressed similar views, some students think I'm trying to discourage them. What I find most amazing is every now and then, including today, there are people contemplating an Engineering course and are doing only General maths - just unbelievable! They think their lack of adequate background can be fixed by a short bridging course. How naive and unrealistic.

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
With commitment and sustained efforts, I am sure OP can still perform well in Physics with only general maths.

1. The amount mathematical/calculation type questions in Physics papers are slowly declining.
2. I've personally seen some 2U students outperform 3U and 4U students in Physics. Even without mathematical understanding, if you're committed to memorising the syllabus, you've already guaranteed yourself quite a good mark. Plus, in my opinion, HSC Physics tests your understanding of the 'physics' behind a physical phenomena rather than the mathematics behind it.
3. Although the 'mathematics' behind Physics was never too troublesome for me, I was never really any good at understanding the 'Physics' behind things compared to many people in my school but I was committed to knowing the syllabus and from that, I have achieved consistent and respectable results all year for Physics - improving from Year 11 (with a mark of 81/100 for trials and an overall mark of 83 for Year 12 internal assessments --> definitely top 20 out of around 97 students.). Just shows that commitment to the syllabus can still help you achieve a good result. Funny thing is that in Year 11, my maths was better and my Physics was worse. Then in Year 12, my maths results/ranks declined yet my Physics results/ranks improved.

But, I'm not the best Physics student out there nor am I as experienced as Fizzy_Cyst or Drongoski so yeah my opinion might not be the best.

I do agree that there is somewhat of a correlation between mathematical ability and physics since the kids in the VERY top end of Physics are really dominant at 4U as well.

But I'm sure 2U and General Maths people have a chance to score a low band 6 in Physics as well.

Last edited:

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed 101%.

When I expressed similar views, some students think I'm trying to discourage them. What I find most amazing is every now and then, including today, there are people contemplating an Engineering course and are doing only General maths - just unbelievable! They think their lack of adequate background can be fixed by a short bridging course. How naive and unrealistic.
Agree 102%!

I have students in the same boat. I brought in my first year engineering books and lecture notes to give them a sense of reality.. Some got the message.. It's hard to see students set themselves up with unrealistic goals and expectations only to get disappointed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)