Maths Talented Students Program (1 Viewer)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
SUMS Problem Competition This competition is open to undergraduates (including Honours students) at any Australian university or tertiary institution. Entrants may use any souce of information except other people.

Prizes ($50 book vouchers from the Co-op Bookshop) will be awarded for the best correct solution to each of the 10 problems. Students from the University of Sydney are also eligible for the Norbert Quirk Prizes, based on the overall quality of their entry (one for each of 1st, 2nd and 3rd years). Extensions and generalizations of any problem are invited and are taken into account when assessing solutions. If two or more solutions to a problem are essentially equal, preference may be given to students in the earlier year of university.

Entries must be received by Friday, September 8, 2006. They may be posted to Dr Anthony Henderson, School of Mathematics and Statistics, The University of Sydney, NSW 2006, or delivered in person to Room 805, Carslaw Building. Please mark your entry SUMS Problem Competition 2006, and include your name, university, student number, course and year, term address and telephone number. Prizes will be awarded towards the end of the academic year.

The SUMS committee is grateful to all those who have provided problems. We are always keen to get more. Send any, with solutions, to Dr Henderson at the above address.

http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/SUMS/sums2006.pdf
Looks like the only UNSW student who has entered is Davy.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
acmilan said:
To me it seems usyd definitely goes way ahead of unsw in terms of stats and probability (evident by the fact >50% of the 2nd year higher stats course was taught in first year at usyd) and has the edge in calculus in first year, unsw seems to have the edge in terms of algebra though.
*bumps thread*

Actually, for research UNSW is the strongest at Analysis. Daniel Chan is one of the few algebraists at UNSW :(

Also, Higher Stats is a jk.

Last edited:

implicity

HSC
He's one of my tutors too.
I agree, he gets waaaaaaay too excited about mathematics. Almost as excited as Tacon lol.

qwerty017044

HSC
Is there a selection criteria for entry into tsp at unsw for first year?

is it available for ppl who do combined maths and something else.

thanks in advance

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
In first session they normally start with combined 186 for 3u + 4u. For us there were slightly too many, so they raised this to 187. I got 188 so just scraped in :eek:

In second session (MATH1241) they'll offer it to the top 30 students in 1141.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
What exactly do you do in TSP? I thought they just led you overload/skip prereqs.

Also, I think tutes for MATH1151/MATH1251 are streamed, which I suppose is something like TSP.

haque

HSC
Is there something similar at usyd? And does anyone know what extra stuff we'll have to do in this case? Thanx

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
haque said:
Is there something similar at usyd? And does anyone know what extra stuff we'll have to do in this case? Thanx
USyd has the maths SSP, it effectively replaces MATH1901 in first semester and MATH1903 in second. You still do the assessments of MATH1901/1903, just attend extra SSP classes and get extra assessments. If you complete it satisfactorily, you will get a bonus 3 marks on your final result for MATH1901/1903.

qwerty017044

HSC
What exactly do you do in TSP? I thought they just led you overload/skip prereqs.

Also, I think tutes for MATH1151/MATH1251 are streamed, which I suppose is something like TSP.

How can tutes for first yr subjects be streamed? isnt MATH 1151 a first session subject?

how would they stream it anyway

haque

HSC
acmilan said:
USyd has the maths SSP, it effectively replaces MATH1901 in first semester and MATH1903 in second. You still do the assessments of MATH1901/1903, just attend extra SSP classes and get extra assessments. If you complete it satisfactorily, you will get a bonus 3 marks on your final result for MATH1901/1903.
Oh all right thanx acmillian-hmm to be honest with u i'm not really sure what type of methematics i.e topics wise one undertakes for say math1901 etc-any info on that? thanx in advanced

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
haque said:
Oh all right thanx acmillian-hmm to be honest with u i'm not really sure what type of methematics i.e topics wise one undertakes for say math1901 etc-any info on that? thanx in advanced
MATH1901 - Differential calculus (complex numbers, derivatives, limits)
MATH1903 - Integral calculus (series, differential equations, integration)

The SSP topics do not follow on from these. They're almost all completely different topics. Cant really tell you which topics, i chose not to do it

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
According to Tacon, streaming is initially based on HSC results. Not sure what's gonna happen now he's retired.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)