Max % speeches can count for internal mark (1 Viewer)

gracie007

HSC
I just wanted to know , according to BOS , (I can't find the answer on their site or in the Assessment Booklet) what is the maximum percentage of the internal school set assessment mark that speeches/oral tasks can contribute in any one subject?

The reason being I think my school has overdone it and i dont think that very fair, considering myself and many others arent very good at presentations.

Please also let me know where I can find this info, if you know.

thnx all.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
I am not sure that this is something that BOS can regulate or control. Some course have a speech as mandatory so maybe they have held off the speeches and you are getting a lot know, sorry I am not much help maybe someone else can offer insight...

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
gracie007 said:
I just wanted to know , according to BOS , (I can't find the answer on their site or in the Assessment Booklet) what is the maximum percentage of the internal school set assessment mark that speeches/oral tasks can contribute in any one subject?

The reason being I think my school has overdone it and i dont think that very fair, considering myself and many others arent very good at presentations.

Please also let me know where I can find this info, if you know.

thnx all.
50% of my religion assessments have been speeches.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
there is no set percentage for speeches. it varies between schools

gracie007

HSC
Without Wings said:
Each subjects syllabus has a "suggested components, weightings and tasks" but there is no set weighting that oral assessments have to make up or can only be of. Each school is allowed to allocate the weightings of the various tasks themselves. For example, for english, they recommend that speaking is 15% but your school can change this if they wish. If you provide us with particular subjects we can give you more details as each subject of course has different recommended assessments etc.

i see. well for english advanced...they have made us do several speeches, all up they contribute 35% of our internal mark. are they allowed to do that? it sucks! cause it pulls my mark down.

taki999

HSC
That's just bad luck, mostly english always have speeches every single year and subjects such as humanaties. eg histories, society and culture. It does depend from different schools much weighting each oral task is worth as stated above.

shellsbells15

HSC
graciebro,
its not 35% cos some of that percentage has been listening tasks,
like the one we are doing at the moment is speaking and listening the speaking is only 10%.
my teacher is dead set letting us get up there and read of a sheet of paper, so its not really speaking more listening.

love ya bro

HSC
Yeah…but your speech is not marked entirely on how you speak it- the actual content should count for most of it so it doesn’t matter if your crap at speeches

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I don't know about English subjects as I don't teach English but both Modern and Ancient History have a Mandatory components and weightings for the HSC course and suggested for the Preliminary p. 77 - 78 of the syllabus for Modern History (I have the syllabus open on my desk at the moment as I am rewriting the WWI programme for next term).

In both histories the maximum weighting for Oral Presentation is 10%.

As the two history syllabi are in their first year of implementation for Year 12 this year it is possible that the other subjects will mandate the components over the next few years.

You should be able to check the BOS instructions by reading the back section of the syllabi on the website.

The BOS is becoming more prescriptive over this area.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
ElendilPeredhil said:
Yeah…but your speech is not marked entirely on how you speak it- the actual content should count for most of it so it doesn’t matter if your crap at speeches
haha trust me delivery is important! They have brought my sor2 content marks down by a fair bit, as i just suck at speeches.

klaw

HSC
ElendilPeredhil said:
delivery is way more important than content for speeches imo

HSC
Well that maybe how it is for your school and all I can say is, unlucky.
I’m crap at speeches but can still get top band because of the content. Besides, are they really expecting the kind of speech a real public speaker would give? Just calm down, speak slowly and clearly and you'll do fine.

shimmy&shine

HSC
For english extension one course at myschool we only have three assessment, including trials.

I know one girl you scored 5/10 for her speech, our first assessment. In her trials she didn't complete her essays (she told me she is the worst essay writer), as in no comclusion, very short in length etc.

In her final mark, she got 45/50. I think our school rnaking pulle the mark up, but all i'm trying to say is..

don't worry too much about it. Don't dwell too much on past mistakes, and just focus on how you can do your best for the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)