mechanical or mechatronic engineer?>! (1 Viewer)

NeoKyo

gstains ghetto! represent
HSC
oh woe is me

dont know what to pick! i like the prospects of both, especially because i like things that go vroom vroom go fast cars. but, mechatronics seems interesting, seems also that it might take off with all these fancy gadgets and robotic what not that people would surely like to buy in the future

i would definitely like to join the SAE team if possible.

what type of jobs do either type get and whats the employment rate?

from looking at the course structure at both degrees, theres just minute difference sin both, e,g. mechanical takes more thermo subjects when mecha takes electric/circuit/comp stuff

put as my first preference combined with science, so i guess my major in science will fall out after picking, tossing up between maths phys and chem

esther

HSC
NeoKyo said:
oh woe is me

dont know what to pick! i like the prospects of both, especially because i like things that go vroom vroom go fast cars. but, mechatronics seems interesting, seems also that it might take off with all these fancy gadgets and robotic what not that people would surely like to buy in the future

from looking at the course structure at both degrees, theres just minute difference sin both, e,g. mechanical takes more thermo subjects when mecha takes electric/circuit/comp stuff

put as my first preference combined with science, so i guess my major in science will fall out after picking, tossing up between maths phys and chem
you won't be able to join the sae team until 2nd year and its always competitive to get into the team. I was part of the team for the last 2 years and pretty much everyone on the team gets good jobs, most of which is int he automotive industry such as ford or holden. did you go see the car at open day? the guys wouldve been on display in the quad... sae people are prefered over other students because we have applied skills and work as part of a team

im not too sure about the employment rate for mechatronics as i am doing mechanical but there is quite alot of jobs out there because we dont just have mechanical background but ive seen a lot of people going into management/consulting as engineers are seen to have good problem solving skills.

Last edited:

yew_315

Oldie
HSC
NeoKyo said:
oh woe is me

Both courses share fairly common subjects throughtout 1st and 2nd yr. Although, they do start to differentiate a bit, as i've noticed this yr. Mechatronics is a progressive field, and there is a lot going on with regards to research and development. I'm in second yr, and i've noticed that we hav a fair bit to do with electronics and programming (eg. MTRX1701, Mechatronics 1, requires study in C programming language, binary and logic circuits).

2 of my close friends are starting in the SAE car team this yr. Although, i can't comment about it just yet, since they've only had their first meeting the other week.

I came into this course without a great deal of knowledge about what it was about, or about programming or anything of that sort. However, it is a interesting course, and you do get the best of mechanical, computer and electronic engineering.

But if you're doing something like flexi first yr, u can see for yourself what the courses feel like and make ur decision.

NeoKyo

gstains ghetto! represent
HSC
yeah i ended up picking mechatronics

out of interest, what engo are your mates doing that are in the SAE team?
I'd really like to join that even though I'm doing mechatronics and not mechanical, doesn't seem like itll matter that much anyway

yew_315

Oldie
HSC
yeah! go mechatronics!
how's Juan Nieto going? or isn't he taking the mtrx1700 lectures this yr?

my two friends who joined the SAE team are both doing mechatronics.
although, an aquantance of mine in SAE is doing mechanical i think.
but yeah, it doesn't really matter betweeen mtrx or mech

Last edited:

beentherdunthat

HSC
I Want To Do Engineering... My Mum Is Not Being Supportive... Please Help!!!

HSC
Girl....Engineering....I don't understand where they come together!

Just kidding :)

Tell her it's what you want to do and you can make lots of money and its almost a guaranteed job, and its a highly respectable job!

beentherdunthat

HSC
whoa, that first sentence sounded like my mum...she's like do something "womanly" I'm like but I like ENGINEERING and she's like NO!

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
I Want To Do Engineering... My Mum Is Not Being Supportive... Please Help!!!
Engineering's great if you love the technical side of things. What does your mum mean by "womanly"?

beentherdunthat

HSC
S1M0 said:
Engineering's great if you love the technical side of things. What does your mum mean by "womanly"?
She wants me to do something like Optometrist... or Doctor (how boring)... anyone know something that is a mix of business and engineering... i think i'll just end up doing business/law :(

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
She wants me to do something like Optometrist... or Doctor (how boring)... anyone know something that is a mix of business and engineering... i think i'll just end up doing business/law :(
Eng/Commerce mabye.

If you manage to get into a law degree (good luck, seriously) that'll be alright, becoming an optometrist isn't easy.

Do your best i guess, then see how you go.

beentherdunthat

HSC
S1M0 said:
Eng/Commerce mabye.

If you manage to get into a law degree (good luck, seriously) that'll be alright, becoming an optometrist isn't easy.

Do your best i guess, then see how you go.

I AM AMUSED BY YOU... OMG... I Was researching and I actually ended up with ENG/COMMERCE AT NSW... that was my favourite... But i can't seem to find the UAI cut offf... Can someone help..??

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
I AM AMUSED BY YOU... OMG... I Was researching and I actually ended up with ENG/COMMERCE AT NSW... that was my favourite... But i can't seem to find the UAI cut offf... Can someone help..??
94 i think.

Law - 99.something (so like i said good luck)
Optometrist - 95+ bare minimum,( 98+ recommended), do good in UMAT + do well in interview.

So you can see, if you want law or anything to do with medicene, you better get one helluva uai. :)

stephenchow

HSC
It was 95.10 last year for Commerce and its combinable degrees for UNSW however people have been known to get in even with UAIs in the eighties last year.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
stephenchow said:
It was 95.10 last year for Commerce and its combinable degrees for UNSW however people have been known to get in even with UAIs in the eighties last year.
Hows that? Oh wait, now i remember, they must've done very well in maths and english, thats a sneakaround option they provide to allow people who don't meet the requirements to get into UNSW commerce.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)