med interviews (1 Viewer)

asadullah

HSC
for med interviews is it best prepare answers or to speak 100% the truth (as our answers appear genuine)? i went to dallas's UMAT course which was highly exaggerated (sec III), and Dallas says we must prepare answers while UNSW discourages this.

Asadullah

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Dallas Gibson's a thief though, mate!

s-AINT

kloudsurfer

HSC
Its not a good idea to 'prepare' answers because if you do they will sound prepared and you will come across as phony and the interviewers can tell...

Instead, its a good idea to think about things relating to the kind of questions that will be asked before hand. Personal things. Make a list, or draw a big chart or a mindmap of things that make you you, like your strengths and weaknesses, people/places/things that have influenced you, inspired you, important moments in your life, your values etc. Also any extracurricular activities/volunteer work and how it has influenced you, and have some good examples of times where you have shown leadership, had to work in a team, had to solve problems etc.

There are plenty more things, they were just a few i could think of. If you know these things well, you will be prepared for any question they throw at you, however unexpected it is. Just dont prepare responses, the interviewers will know.

And yes, apparently Dallas is a thief. According to the Icarus people, Medentry are thieves too.
If you ask me, they are all thieves. I mean, $500 bucks for a few practice exams? (Yes, I did medentry lol)

Last edited:

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
noooooo... i took medentry..... i've been scammed!!! lol. Medentry and this other dude sent funny emails to us, ripping each other off. funni. =D

And to get the most out of my moneyz, i just stoled all teh exams off teh website. coz i'm haxorz. :D

as for the interviews.... i just hope i get accepted into one of them... and now i will begin thinking about what answers i shall give.. i just hope they don't ask us some sly questions that'll put me off.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Thx for this information guys.
I will not be purchasing a prep pack.
ssejamafone, can you send them to me because I don't have $495.00, and am currently living out of a cardboard box with dial up and a can of pectinased fruit juice.

Seriously though, if you provide me with what you have, I will pay you.

$$

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
i have this document about interview advice - i downloaded it from the med students online forum a couple of years ago, i think.

has a stack of questions to think about.

just be aware that the unis all do interviews differently - some just sort of want to have a chat and see who you are, and some will give you hypotheticals.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
s-AINT said:
Thx for this information guys.
I will not be purchasing a prep pack.
ssejamafone, can you send them to me because I don't have $495.00, and am currently living out of a cardboard box with dial up and a can of pectinased fruit juice.

Seriously though, if you provide me with what you have, I will pay you.

$$
well, since the prep pack was kinda a ripoff, i'll probably just lend questions to whoever wants them..... but, i dunno. i feel kinda bad doing this, coz i know it's wrong...

and, anyway, right now i have to figure out a way to make them accessible to other people, coz i'm not very computer literate, and i'm not good with uploading files onto the internet.... but, i'll figure out a way. :)

aussiechica7

HSC
if medentry catch u stealing their stuff and passing it on, u'll get sued big time.

how come u didn't like medentry ssej?

Last edited:

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
That's true.
Let's be careful.

You feel kind of bad doing this? That's understandable, and if you do not feel comfortable sending me the questions, please don't worry about it.

However, if I am to pay $495.00 for access to questions on the internet, I will be ripping every question I see! Additionally, I'll produce a user-friendly collection of this material, and upload it to students who can't afford ~$500.00, for a prep course.

They can sue me if they wish; although I don't think they'll get much considering I'm a student financially supported by the government.

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
kloudsurfer said:
Its not a good idea to 'prepare' answers because if you do they will sound prepared and you will come across as phony and the interviewers can tell...

Instead, its a good idea to think about things relating to the kind of questions that will be asked before hand. Personal things. Make a list, or draw a big chart or a mindmap of things that make you you, like your strengths and weaknesses, people/places/things that have influenced you, inspired you, important moments in your life, your values etc. Also any extracurricular activities/volunteer work and how it has influenced you, and have some good examples of times where you have shown leadership, had to work in a team, had to solve problems etc.

There are plenty more things, they were just a few i could think of. If you know these things well, you will be prepared for any question they throw at you, however unexpected it is. Just dont prepare responses, the interviewers will know.
Surely what you said to do is preparing... I think what everyone's trying to say is don't have set (written out word for word) answers. Prepare responses, but be flexible enough to answers the questions however they phrase them.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
prepare for the following questions
- why med?
- why not... XYZ degree?
-what do u enjoy?

for other med interviews.. like ure RACGP one ..
list 5 differentials for epigastric pain.
what is on this abdo xray?
why is ACEi better than ARBs?
how many vessels supply the large colon?
what 2 nerves supply the thyroid glands?

kloudsurfer

HSC
liverpool3k said:
Surely what you said to do is preparing... I think what everyone's trying to say is don't have set (written out word for word) answers. Prepare responses, but be flexible enough to answers the questions however they phrase them.
eh thats what i mean (but it took me 2 paragraphs to say it lol)

beentherdunthat

HSC
asadullah said:
is anybody here in med ?
My bro does med. Interviews are meant to give the dean an outlook on how intellectual you are.

Learning your answers isn't the most intelligent thing to do. It'll make it look sooo obvious. I say just practise answering questions. Typical ones include 'why do you want to study med' ... 'how do you describe your friends?' ... other stuff that I heard my bro bring up was to describe your relationship with your family...

And remember the K.I.S.S rule
KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.

Good luck people.

aussiechica7

HSC
pointy's a 4th yr meddie. i'm a 1st yr.

have a whole range of things at the forefront of your mind so that at a moment's notice u can bring it up. so if they say "have u had any leadership experience?" ur not all like "um, uhhh" for 5 minutes, you're like "*1 sec moment pause* why yes actually, last yr i was captain of the soccer team... blah blah... quite enjoyed it... blah blah... this is what i found good/difficult about it" (or whatever). it's up 2 u 2 guage how much 2 talk. personally i talk 2 much. some don't talk enough*

(*for this reason it's important to have someone give u a mock interview maybe 2 times b4 u have a real one)

most interviews do NOT care how academic u r. the point of the interview is to find out the other stuff about u. they already have or will have your UAI/GPA. what they want to know is, how do u relate to ppl? can u lead? can u work in a team? r u ethical? r u empathetic? can u handle stress? r u adaptable? do u value diversity? do u know much about yourself? and in some interviews, do u have critical thinking skills? can u explain difficult concepts in simple language?

remember the answer to any question they ask u is rarely "yes" or "no". it's usually just an open-ended question which will give an opportunity to share the things u've already thought about b4 the interview. so u don't have set, formulaic answers to their questions, but u have thought about yourself, medicine, the university you're applying to etc. enough 2 b able 2 say some sort of answer without rambling too much when they ask u about it.

o ya... remember they're going 2 ask u why their uni and not another, why med not another, why this city not another. remember 2 b realistic, sincere and flattering. unis love hearing how they're the best but u dont want 2 badmouth other unis/degree ("i love uncle, it's not as stuck up as unsw"... and then u find out the interviewer used to lecture at unsw :p). think about what u'll do if med doesn't work out. and remember: realism. medicine is not glamourous. think about ALL the negative aspects of the career. the more u can mention, the more they realise u've looked into it. but u can say "but i still want 2 do medicine for THESE reasons"... that looks well thought out. saying "wow, i so want 2 do medicine, it's amazing, blah blah blah... like i guess there r some difficulties, but whatever, i'm so excited for it!"... they'll b like "ok, u'll b the first to burnout if u actually start the course"

hotpot

HSC
hehehe ru ethical...? :rofl:

What AC said is great, just want to add taht depending on the university and the Q that they are asking, its not necessarily wat your final answer is thats important but rather how you came to ur responses - ur thought process and whether you have evaluated the situation thoroughly. For example unsw would ask many bizarre and left field Q regarding childhood etc, and ask you to evaluate them. Same goes to a lot of other universities that give scenario Qs which ask you to explain wat and why you would do.

Also have fun at interviews, the Qs can be dodgey, but dont let one bad response from your side cloud ur mind for the rest of the interview. :wave:

aussiechica7

HSC
lol hotpot i have this strange feeling i've met u somewhere b4 :p

o yeah, at some unis they will give u a scenario and ask u what u would do. no matter what u pick it will be wrong. they care about your thinking process, and then, how u deal with failure. they do not care about your actual answer. remember that ;)

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
aussiechica7 said:
pointy's a 4th yr meddie. i'm a 1st yr.

have a whole range of things at the forefront of your mind so that at a moment's notice u can bring it up. so if they say "have u had any leadership experience?" ur not all like "um, uhhh" for 5 minutes, you're like "*1 sec moment pause* why yes actually, last yr i was captain of the soccer team... blah blah... quite enjoyed it... blah blah... this is what i found good/difficult about it" (or whatever). it's up 2 u 2 guage how much 2 talk. personally i talk 2 much. some don't talk enough*

(*for this reason it's important to have someone give u a mock interview maybe 2 times b4 u have a real one)

most interviews do NOT care how academic u r. the point of the interview is to find out the other stuff about u. they already have or will have your UAI/GPA. what they want to know is, how do u relate to ppl? can u lead? can u work in a team? r u ethical? r u empathetic? can u handle stress? r u adaptable? do u value diversity? do u know much about yourself? and in some interviews, do u have critical thinking skills? can u explain difficult concepts in simple language?

remember the answer to any question they ask u is rarely "yes" or "no". it's usually just an open-ended question which will give an opportunity to share the things u've already thought about b4 the interview. so u don't have set, formulaic answers to their questions, but u have thought about yourself, medicine, the university you're applying to etc. enough 2 b able 2 say some sort of answer without rambling too much when they ask u about it.

o ya... remember they're going 2 ask u why their uni and not another, why med not another, why this city not another. remember 2 b realistic, sincere and flattering. unis love hearing how they're the best but u dont want 2 badmouth other unis/degree ("i love uncle, it's not as stuck up as unsw"... and then u find out the interviewer used to lecture at unsw :p). think about what u'll do if med doesn't work out. and remember: realism. medicine is not glamourous. think about ALL the negative aspects of the career. the more u can mention, the more they realise u've looked into it. but u can say "but i still want 2 do medicine for THESE reasons"... that looks well thought out. saying "wow, i so want 2 do medicine, it's amazing, blah blah blah... like i guess there r some difficulties, but whatever, i'm so excited for it!"... they'll b like "ok, u'll b the first to burnout if u actually start the course"
hey, what was your UAI and what course did you do in 2005, and what was your GPA+UMAT to get into medicine?

hotpot

HSC
A High Way Man said:
hey, what was your UAI and what course did you do in 2005, and what was your GPA+UMAT to get into medicine?
Go www.medstudentsonline.com and there you shall find all your answers :)

A credit/distinction & raw umat of 190+ should suffice for uncle and uws in the NSW unis (you dont need ur uai if u completed a year). UNSW need a bit higher because tehy take into account of uai, so ur uni mark must drag up ur uai.

Personally, I got a GPA 6.25 from doing a B.appliedscience (diagnostic radiography) and umat 192, got offers uws, uncle and utas. The extra year really helped with understanding health and hosp[itals from the clinical experience.

AC did biochem, probably got a similar mark to me, she'll probably be online later to correct me :p

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
hotpot said:
Go www.medstudentsonline.com and there you shall find all your answers :)

A credit/distinction & raw umat of 190+ should suffice for uncle and uws in the NSW unis (you dont need ur uai if u completed a year). UNSW need a bit higher because tehy take into account of uai, so ur uni mark must drag up ur uai.

Personally, I got a GPA 6.25 from doing a B.appliedscience (diagnostic radiography) and umat 192, got offers uws, uncle and utas. The extra year really helped with understanding health and hosp[itals from the clinical experience.

AC did biochem, probably got a similar mark to me, she'll probably be online later to correct me :p
I'm not really interested in Medicine, but I would do it if I had the chance. I'm just being curious.

The more you know...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)