media and communications (1 Viewer)

BFF

HSC
I am looking to get into working in television programming/scheduling

what does arts (media and communications) offer in this area.

Correct me if Im wrong but it seems like it is more about journalism, producing e.t.c

Is this the degree I would be looking to get in to.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
BFF said:

Correct me if Im wrong but it seems like it is more about journalism, producing e.t.c

There are a variety of different media and/or communications degrees so you really have to be more specific - scheduling is also more of an administrative thing thats part of a much more encompassing position that would come from having been involved within a specific network for a long time. You just shift programs according to the statistical trends given by morgan research etc.

The most relevant majors would be in the areas of communications (e.g sociology of the media, media cultures, communication and information studies - part of every media/comm degree) I suppose but its more about leapfrogging from one position within a network (not just a show or production company) to another than the specific course you did.

*rUsTy*

HSC
I have come to the conclusion that I will be applying for a Media and Communications course at University as I find that media remains to be something I am immensely interested in. At this point, I am unsure of what type of area I want to get into and so therefore have a few questions.

*Is it best if I simply apply for the course, try it and from that, find out what area suits/interests me? Or should I look into possible careers before I do?

Also, just asking anyone who has done this course and has a job in that field if it was easy finding a job, as I know that the media industry is very competitive.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
*rUsTy* said:
*Is it best if I simply apply for the course, try it and from that, find out what area suits/interests me? Or should I look into possible careers before I do?
Its always best to look into all possible avenues and careers before you apply for any given course - the more informed you are the better. In the end though, pretty much everyone ends up 'trying out' their course to see if it suits them its just some courses are more flexible than others in how many different things you can try out.

Also, just asking anyone who has done this course and has a job in that field if it was easy finding a job, as I know that the media industry is very competitive.
Just doing the course and getting good grades will not land you a job, irrespective of which communications degree and which uni its at, its simply too competitive. It'll mainly be extra-curricular stuff you do on the side which gets you a job, universities can help you organise some of that extra-curricular stuff though. Speaking from the perspective of someone who isn't earning money through their degree yet - internships and the like are fairly easy to find.

*rUsTy*

HSC
Ah, I see... thanks for that. Check out my other post to see if you can answer my other questions if you don't mind.

enterusername

HSC
it is also good (for such a hands on course) to find out what resources the institution has (example, uws has channel 31...it is community tv, but students get experience!!!)

its also good to see what postgraduate courses universities have so that u can complete furhter studies...example for uws once again...there is the master of convergent media...which may interest u (but u need a bachelors degree to get into it)

:) :) :)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
BFF said:

Don't quote me on this but I think you are generally correct in that media and communications is more about journalism and writing, or something a bit more theory based.

What you would be more interested in is a more hands-on or practical course like those offered at the VCA Film & TV dept at the University of Melbourne, or the AFTRS. You'll learn about the industry in the courses offered there, you'll learn how to use the equipment, you'll learn how it all comes together working as part of a film or television crew, you'll gain hands-on experience in Film & TV production etc which I think is exactly what you're looking for. It is through this avenue that you'll be able to work your way into the area you mentioned above.

If someone out there has genuine industry experience in this area feel free to chime in, I'd be more than happy to hear about it myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)