medical science (1 Viewer)

livelife

did anyone else go crap in UMAT, now wants to post grad medicine, and doing medical science as bachelor. or anyone doing med science for anyreason, anywhere. my UAI was 94.65, hoping to get in to med science at uni of sydney, which was 93 last year, hoping doesn't rise much but scares me how how everyone UAI's are. we were one smart year.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
nah its just a lot of the people on here that post are really smart.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by livelife
did anyone else go crap in UMAT, now wants to post grad medicine, and doing medical science as bachelor. or anyone doing med science for anyreason, anywhere. my UAI was 94.65, hoping to get in to med science at uni of sydney, which was 93 last year, hoping doesn't rise much but scares me how how everyone UAI's are. we were one smart year.
Yes I went very bad in UMAT, destroyed all my hopes of getting into medicine. I got a good UAI of 98.5 though, but at the moment, have chosen to take commerce/science at UNSW instead of medicine now.

UMAT really discouraged me I guess.

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
i did ok in UMAT , it was my UAI of 92.85 that was the bad factor --- so yeah im planning on medical science at UTS , but im not sure ....

hmm , as in i want to do med, but if i cant get in undergraduate, then maybe i should pursue something different altogether.. i dont know.... is that what you are thinking/?

and omg im going away tomorrow until the 3rd so i dont really have time to change my preferences >_<

but if you dont end up doing graduate medicine , what job do you get after studying medical science??

ps are you going to try and transfer 2nd year to med?

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Grad medicine still stands as my plan, but I would never do Med Science as an undergrad degree, its just too narrow i feel. Like, not many 18 year olds can really be sure that they want to do medicine, can they? Like im pretty sure, but it so wouldnt surprise me if i changed my mind before then.

I did alright in UMAT and got 98.95, but I decided that I didnt want to do med undergrad so i pulled out my applications at UNSW and Newcastle. I guess ill do the UMAT against next year and transfer to Newcastle, then again, maybe not.

Anyone else think the UMAT is the stupidest thing ever? I mean, you would ahve thoguht the interview process was a much better way to try and assess the pesronality of an applicant. What the hell ahve geometrical shapes got to do with being a good doctor? hmm? Some of my friends who got interviews wouldbe the worst doctors i rekon

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
hey yea i dont really want to do medical science -- i'm just doing it because i want to do graduate medicine -- so do you think its ok if i study something completely different at undergraduate level????

hmm.. but then im scared my chances of getting into medicine are too low.. or then i think i dont even want to do med any more >_< ahh the decisions!

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Ive talked to the President of the Medical Faculty at Sydney Uni about this very issue and he told me that it makes just about no difference at all what you're undergraduate degree was, all thatm atters is your GPA. Arts graduates are apparently among the best med students at USYD

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Dont do something you're nto going to enjoy that much or dont relaly want to do, just for the sake of a postgrad degree, especially seeing that it wont improve your chances that much neways. What if you dont make the GPA because you're heart wasnt really in the degree?

aby

------------>
Originally posted by utopian731
Ive talked to the President of the Medical Faculty at Sydney Uni about this very issue and he told me that it makes just about no difference at all what you're undergraduate degree was, all thatm atters is your GPA. Arts graduates are apparently among the best med students at USYD
What he forgot to mention was that the GAMSAT exam involves yr 12 physics and year 1 uni chem and bio... so perhaps choosing a subject that incorporates them might increase your chances of getting an interview... I don't know if it's a combination of GPA and Gamsat result thoguh?

Jesse

I went to their Annual Medicine/Dentistry meet and they told us it's based on your GPA and your GAMSAT. If your GPA isn't high enough, don't even bother doing the GAMSAT. When you pass the GAMSAT (there is a limit every year), the board then decides whether or not to grant you an interview... :)

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Originally posted by aby

What he forgot to mention was that the GAMSAT exam involves yr 12 physics and year 1 uni chem and bio... so perhaps choosing a subject that incorporates them might increase your chances of getting an interview... I don't know if it's a combination of GPA and Gamsat result thoguh?
Yes I am well aware of that
The GAMSAT just has a pass or fail, how well you go doesnt really matter (as long as its good enough to pass). FIrst year chem and bio arent exactly the hardest things int he world to do and oyu dont ahve to do med science to do them

aby

------------>
i think the umat exams beats the uai system by a mile... not because i think the umat test is actually relevant to the study of med, for example it doens't test motivation at all, but that the previous hsc/uai system was screwed beyond belief...

anyone else think this?

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by Jesse
If your GPA isn't high enough, don't even bother doing the GAMSAT. When you pass the GAMSAT (there is a limit every year), the board then decides whether or not to grant you an interview... :)
so whats the minimum GPA?

Jesse

How is it narrow? It's more like BROAD than anything else.

Have you done this degree?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)